1967 compound turbo 4BT Cummins

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

dailyf100

Re: 1967 compound turbo 4BT Cummins

Post by dailyf100 »

averagef250 wrote:I sure hope it works for ya. You're in it pretty deep!

If you can swing it the 47RH and Compushift mini are a much better platform than the 4L80E.
Probably so and I don't disagree. I am in too deep for that. Plenty of guys with the 4l80 behind 4BT's with zero problems and will be a much easier swap for me. I'll just have to make a new trans cross member and shorten the driveshaft. Dodge tranny means new turbo configuration, plumbing and exhaust.
redlinemotorsportts

Post by redlinemotorsportts »

Really nice work! Sounds like you got it figured out, i like going off what other people do too, typically they got it figured out. Really clean with the plumbing and welds, i see you have a oil gauge in the cowl, any reason for that?
'71 f100, 4.6 dohc, cab off, cv swap, IRS, and broke.
dailyf100

Post by dailyf100 »

redlinemotorsportts wrote:Really nice work! Sounds like you got it figured out, i like going off what other people do too, typically they got it figured out. Really clean with the plumbing and welds, i see you have a oil gauge in the cowl, any reason for that?
Thanks for the positive comments! The oil pressure gauge is only because it drives me crazy not too see the psi if I am working on/running the engine. I just like to see it at all times.

On a side note, I just couldn't take it anymore; I ordered the 4L80E with a compushift II controller. After lots of research, guys are beating the crap out of 4L80E's behind 4bt's and 6BT's with no problems. So I decided that it was best to just switch now before the truck was complete.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

dailyf100 wrote:The oil pressure gauge is only because it drives me crazy not too see the psi if I am working on/running the engine. I just like to see it at all times.
That's wise. I buggered up the wiring foil on the back of my cluster last time I had it apart. No more oil pressure reading is driving me nuts.
dailyf100 wrote: On a side note, I just couldn't take it anymore; I ordered the 4L80E with a compushift II controller. After lots of research, guys are beating the crap out of 4L80E's behind 4bt's and 6BT's with no problems. So I decided that it was best to just switch now before the truck was complete.
I've been surprised how well my stock 47rh has held up. Even though I seldom beat on it I have hauled some heavy combined loads.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
dailyf100

Post by dailyf100 »

Ranchero50 wrote:
I've been surprised how well my stock 47rh has held up. Even though I seldom beat on it I have hauled some heavy combined loads.
I'm not surprised; Those 47RH's can be really strong transmissions. I'm not sure if it is true but I've heard of some really high horsepower Duramax pullers switching to the 47RH. Built to the hilt of course.
dailyf100

Post by dailyf100 »

I got the panels behind the seat made and covered in some black leather I had left over from another project. Also started the "new look" tail gate.

dailyf100

Post by dailyf100 »

outside of tailgate finished.

FOWLER

Post by FOWLER »

I looked through your thread and nice job! on the front end esp. I'm assuming that's the Welder series MII x member. Did you have to modify it to fit? I ask because according to they're site they don't offer one wide enough for the frame rails in these trucks and it appears yours fit fine?
dailyf100

Post by dailyf100 »

FOWLER wrote:I looked through your thread and nice job! on the front end esp. I'm assuming that's the Welder series MII x member. Did you have to modify it to fit? I ask because according to they're site they don't offer one wide enough for the frame rails in these trucks and it appears yours fit fine?
Thanks man. Yes, it is a welder series. It was the one for a 60.5 track width on the right side of the page where you order.
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by popeyes71 »

Nice build, I like what you did to the tailgate! I cant wait to see it on the truck to see how it looks!
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car
Wilfred of Ivanhoe

Post by Wilfred of Ivanhoe »

You have some excellent fab skills. ...not to mention good taste. This is a great project. :thup:
1953 F100 (Waitint for attention)
1969 F100 LWB w/ 72 grille (Daily driver & work truck)
1969 F100 LWB Parts truck
1971 F100 SSWB 4x4 (Current Project)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (Actually the wife's)
cstoyer

Post by cstoyer »

Nice work. I have the same line to use for my build and its by far the easiest to bend and flare that I have tried. Oh, and your flare tool makes short work of any plumbing job regardless of the tubing. BTW I purchased the one Summit Racing offered which I believe is made by the same company on different branding. Keep us posted.
68 F250 4x4
dailyf100

Post by dailyf100 »

Well, the truck is 98% done. worked till 2:30 AM Saturday morning to make it to the Ft. Worth Good Guys show on Saturday. Still have some interior stuff I need to get my interior guy to do and a few other things myself. Didn't have time to get the compressor in or put the clips on the wheels for the dog dish hubcaps. The one piece windows work great with no leaks and no wind noise. Truck rides nice and the brakes work much better than I anticipated.

The truck is a blast to drive. The torque is amazing and the turbos sound crazy. For those who said my compound combo wouldn't work; well, you were way wrong. It works awesome and I have not even started tweaking the pump. This thing moves out quite nice!

Regardless, Here are some pics.....

dailyf100

Post by dailyf100 »

IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

Wow you have some awesome skills!! Love it!

Barry