72 F100/99 Ford Lightning/06 CV Build.

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

devindastrup

72 F100/99 Ford Lightning/06 CV Build.

Post by devindastrup »

New to the form. Building a 1972 Ford F100 short wide. Motor and trans from a 99 Ford Lightning. 06 CV Front end. 00 Explorer 8.8 rear end. I'll add some pictures tomorrow when I get to work.

Need a little help with ideas on the shift linkage. I have an automatic steering column from the F100. I would like to hook up the trans shift cable to that. Has anyone done this? Ive searched for days and can't find anything.

Thanks!
Devin
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: 72 F100/99 Ford Lightning/06 CV Build.

Post by hackster »

Welcome to the forum...pics will help keep people on board with what you are doing.

That linkage one is going to be a tough one, did the lightning have a column shift or a floor shifter? I am not too up to speed on those trucks.

Sean
devindastrup

Post by devindastrup »

Here are a few shots of my truck in its current state. The front end is all put together, Boxed in and bolted up. For the rear mount on the lower A arms, I made a negative jig off a crown vic frame. I wanted to get it as close as possible and figured this would be a good way to do that. Hind site, probably would have done it a little different.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
devindastrup

Post by devindastrup »

Here is the rear end work Ive done. Spent some time today building the bump stop mounts. My emergency brake will run down the outside of the left frame rail so I can use stock explorer cables. Having a local shop shorten the cable running up to the e brake pedal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
devindastrup

Post by devindastrup »

Here is what I am needing a little help on. Does anyone make a kit to hook up a 4R100 Trans shift cable to the shift lever on the column on a stock column? 72 F100
devindastrup

Post by devindastrup »

hackster wrote:Welcome to the forum...pics will help keep people on board with what you are doing.

That linkage one is going to be a tough one, did the lightning have a column shift or a floor shifter? I am not too up to speed on those trucks.

Sean
The lightning shift lever was on the column. I have thought about Picking up a floor shift and cables from a 04-08 F150. I believe they mount to the trans the same. I'd just rather have the stock column look.

BTW, I think I am going to go with a similar color as your LSX F100. I have really liked the white. I'm also considering flat black with matching grill, bumpers and door handles. What color code is your truck? Grill/bumpers and the truck its self?

Devin
poke em

Post by poke em »

I used a Lokar kit for my 4r70W swap with stock auto column. It uses a rod, so you'd have to ditch the cable, but mine works flawlessly. I had to drill a new hole in the shift arm, as close to the bend as I could in order to keep the pull ratio close.
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

Lightning motor...I had kicked that around in my head several times and went with a windsor/5 speed instead. Good choice on motors!!

Barry
devindastrup

Post by devindastrup »

poke em wrote:I used a Lokar kit for my 4r70W swap with stock auto column. It uses a rod, so you'd have to ditch the cable, but mine works flawlessly. I had to drill a new hole in the shift arm, as close to the bend as I could in order to keep the pull ratio close.

Perfect! Thanks Poke!
devindastrup

Post by devindastrup »

E Brake completed.

I went with the 8.8 373 gears posi out of a 2000 explorer for my rearend. For the e brake, I couldn't find a clean functional setup I liked (again, I searched for days). I ended up using the stock ebrake cables from the axle up to the frame mount (also from the explorer). From there I found a connector (laying around my shop) to connect the stock explorer ebrake cables to a cable I had made. It was 20" shorter then the stock cable (my truck was originally a longbed that I cut down so I dont know if the shortbed cables are the same or not). 20" shorter on the outer and inner cables. It turned out excellent in my opinion. Very happy with it. The mount for the front cable was made with extra metal from the section of frame I cut out.

Sean- Thanks! Im pretty excited about it. pulled it from a wrecked truck with 68,000 miles. Replacing the lower boost pulley as it was dinged in the accident. I have a 3 LB boost pulley, and tuner on it. Stock the 1999 had 360 HP. With these I am hoping for 400.

Devin
devindastrup

Post by devindastrup »

More shots
devindastrup

Post by devindastrup »

Got my oil cooler put on. As I suspected, it's a very tight squeeze getting oil filters on and off... I slightly modified a filter to see how close I was. I may pull the center pin out and shorten the filter side by 1/8" or so. Oil cooler and bracket came off a 98 mustang cobra.

Can't upload off my phone. I'll upload them later.
JamesM72CS

Post by JamesM72CS »

Cool build man! I'm in the same boat as you...not sure what to do for the shifter.
devindastrup

Post by devindastrup »

JamesM72CS wrote:Cool build man! I'm in the same boat as you...not sure what to do for the shifter.
Everything I've found only works on the 4r70 trans. Nothing for the 4r100. I think I will just build a bracket that extends down and weld it to the shaft. Should probably pull it out of the transmission even though I really don't want to.

What motor and trans are you using?
poke em

Post by poke em »

These are kind of ugly and you would have to modify it to adapt to your selector arm, but it might be a solution for you.

http://www.ididitinc.com/accessories-3/ ... age_Acc-23

I think I would remove your selector arm and modify the arm to face downward, then you could use the lokar 4r70w kit. Either way you'll likely need to do some custom work. Or go with a floor shifter of some sort. B&M makes a shift arm and bracket set for the 4r100 that works with their shifters.