Hackster's F100 #2 CV Swap 6 speed manual and Coyote

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Hackster's F100 #2 CV Swap 6 speed manual and Coyote

Post by hackster »

Bronco_77 wrote:You've got a wicked truck. I know what you mean about work I do hvac as well and we've been slammed all summer.
It has slowed down here a little bit recently as the high temps have dropped off. I run a crew of 30 service techs so I tend to stay pretty busy year round. Thanks for the props on the truck, having fun with it still.
FrankZX wrote:Sean,
I punched and dimpled my frame after seeing yours. Dang the dimple dies are expensive. If my truck turns out half as nice as yours I'll be happy.
Don't want to mess up your thread. Heres my crossmembers eliminating. Got a few questions.
Hey there, Shoot me a PM or email, or text is just fine. Ill pm you my number. And yes, dimple dies are spendy....if you have to buy them again check out SWAG offroad stuff, he is local and best pricing and service you will ever find.
zmonster72 wrote:killer build!
Thank you,

Well after a couple of months of waiting, these sexy bitches showed up at my work yesterday. A couple little issues with packaging from the builder ended up with three wheels not being perfect. Ill work with Jason on that front, not sure what to do.

He did the hidden valve stems on the wheels and although they are super cool just would not work so I picked up some flush mount valve stems to plug the holes and got to work drilling holes in the front lips on my brand new wheels... :cry: Yes you heard that right.

But lots of measuring and prep and they are drilled with some nice clean valve stems in there.

I went out on a limb with the color on these a little bit. I love brown, its such an elegant under utilized color on cars and with the tan/Beige color on the truck with the brown interior I thought it would work well. Jason nailed the color and finish on the wheels they are incredible.

This was just a cool shot....gives you an idea of just how big these are....yes, they are all 18x11's

Should have tires on them later tonight now to make these big girls fit is going to be a whole nother story, wish me luck.

Sean
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Well, an update that is worthy of some pics for a change.

I decided on the Falkens. I know that they are not the best tire out there but for the truck size they are the best tire for me right now. Ordered these up a few weeks ago and got them mounted up this afternoon.

Giddy like a little kid about this point, they look great.

Typical wheel and tire install tools at my house.

Also add to that BFH, SFH, dolly and a couple of pieces of pipe just for good measure.

Just one side done, still needs to finish rolling and pulling the fenders at this point but wanted to see it in the sun.

So with that, I got the other side done. Cut the lips on the rear openings and rolled them in as far as I could. I might need to pull the bedsides out just a touch to clear the tire at full bump, but it has a bit of room in there now.

I pulled the front fenders as far as I could at that point. It is very subtle and looks very clean and nice.

Here is what she looks like, first trip around the neighborhood.

Good shot of the wheel here

All in all its been a ton of work to get them on there but I am super happy and the truck looks mean, just like I wanted it to.

Keep it clean and in one piece till Goodguys next weekend, then back to the track.

Keep on truckin!!!

Sean
FrankZX

Post by FrankZX »

One awesome truck Sean. See if you can make the F100 Nationals next May.
Bronco_77

Post by Bronco_77 »

Those wheels are perfect for that truck never would have thought brown would have tied in to that well. The Fr500 wheels u had on the ls truck were they 99-04 spacing or 05 up I'm fixin to order a set and really like how they looked on urs and think there best thing in my price range.
68 f100 390 3 speed on the collom G maw gave to me G paw drove in late 70s till late 80s
77 bronco 302 lifted 5.5 with 33s and rears cut
69 Mustang boss 302 clone bought when was 14 sold when was 28 to build house
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Saw your truck on hotrodsandmusclecars InstaGram yesterday! She's gotten almost 15,000 "likes". Awesome shout out!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

sargentrs wrote:Saw your truck on hotrodsandmusclecars InstaGram yesterday! She's gotten almost 15,000 "likes". Awesome shout out!
I saw it on there......crazy how many people love the truck.

For those following along.....first time with the camper on the old 12 valve dually and it was night and day difference, half the power of the 14 but it handled the camper so much better than the 14. I was shocked. Truck did extremely well. Need a few things for it. Steering box needs replaced, and it desperately needs the 3k governor springs. Those are next on the list but I was very happy how the truck did with the camper, trailer and F100 in tow.

What a weekend.

Got up to the fairgrounds about noon on Friday and got the truck unloaded and the camper all setup, its just better on the dually.

We hit the show about 1 or so and met up with my old man there. I was surprised how many cars were there on a Friday. Got to meet some cool people there that day. It was hot out.

Few pics from the show on Friday.

Yeah...you are seeing this correctly

This thing was super clean....and you know I like these trucks.

We got done at Puyallup and headed out to the drags. I cruised out there with my dad, F100 did great in the hot weather and sitting in traffic, I was pretty happy.

Met up with Rushforth and a few of his buddies for some Karting time.. I had no idea that I would be sore afterwards. For being a pretty big fella, I was happy with mid pack, 8 of 15 guys. It was a blast. 2 fifteen minute sessions were enough though. If you are ever up there, check this place out, its totally worth it.

I met this chap at the track and talked with him for a while. Super cool old truck. It was an original short bed that someone used to tow with and was just cool. I talked with him a bunch over the weekend. Great guys.

Was an awesome first day up there. I walked a lot, was pretty tired and hot by the end of the day and was so busy having fun I had forgotten to eat or drink anything from about 1 or so on.

:confused59:
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Saturday,

Damn early morning, up at 4:45 to get things ready and roll into the show, glad we were camping right there.

Great parking spot to wait in line.

Got all setup at the show and pretty much forgot to take pics =) there were a couple of outstanding cars there that I could not get pics of but some that I did.

This is an Avanti....yes you read that right.

Just some other neat cars, I shot and thought I would share.

Yes, that is a common rail cummins..

Probably my favorite car of the show.

There were tons of cool cars there, and we met some great people. Kristi finally realized how cool Nova Wagons are....but also how cool early 2 door falcons are as well so its one of those two cars for the next build.

Chris Shelton found me Saturday and we chatted for a bit, he wanted to take some photos of the old girl so we got together for that most of Saturday night.

He took some great pics. Favorite quote for the day from Chris..... "I have never shot rust and had it look so awesome"

He was shooting a really cool 68 camaro the same night and wanted to get some rolling shots of it so he asked me to drive this around while he hung all over it and took the photos.....how cool is that.

Cramped as hell and I physically could not get it into second from my long ass legs but it was pretty awesome.

Chris took some killer photos, this is a little teaser. Thanks for the photo shoot Chris.

We headed back on Sunday but wanted to get out of there early, we walked a bit and met some great people, took a couple of trips around the grounds and loaded up to head home. We were super tired and had a great weekend.

Ready for the next adventure now.

Sean
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Looks like a great show! Thanks for the photos. 8)
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
michael9218

Post by michael9218 »

Love this build thread. Both of your trucks came out awesome.

I do have a question for you or anyone who has restored one of these bumpsides. I would like to take on a project truck, but am concerned about the wind noise in the truck. Suspension and sound deadening can "modernize" the truck's driveability, but I recall my dad's old '71 Ford van and how much wind noise it had. Have you found that new rubber seals things up, or is it inherently noisy?
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

michael9218 wrote:Love this build thread. Both of your trucks came out awesome.

I do have a question for you or anyone who has restored one of these bumpsides. I would like to take on a project truck, but am concerned about the wind noise in the truck. Suspension and sound deadening can "modernize" the truck's driveability, but I recall my dad's old '71 Ford van and how much wind noise it had. Have you found that new rubber seals things up, or is it inherently noisy?

It will still be an old truck.....however.

Having recently been looking for a new commuter car, most new cars are far from quiet, they are not wind noise loud but road noise loud. run flat tires, safety stuff and trying to keep them light with every new gizmo and whiz bang is my guess.

This thing is pretty quiet to be honest. I dont drive around much in foul weather but have used it in cold weather with the windows rolled up and its quiet enough that I could daily drive it. I dont think the wind noise is bad at all.

Sean
poke em

Post by poke em »

I use mine as a daily driver. I used second skin damplifier mat on the firewall, floors, doors, roof and back wall. Then sound deadened the floor with closed cell foam and mass loaded vinyl. The only new rubber is the door weatherstrip, and for noise it is not bad at all. With my exhaust dumped in front of the axle, it drones a little but only at really low rpms. When I install new window felts and rubber, it should be very quiet. I can carry a conversation at a normal volume while doing 70mph. Another thing that helped was blocking the sound from the cab corners. I copied Hackster's speaker pod design for that.
Pepper2829

Post by Pepper2829 »

So now with two great builds of bumps under your belt, similar but different, and plenty of miles on both....
Did you find any advantage to making your rear lower mounts on the crown vic on a 45°?
98% of builds keep them flat, but you had a valid point of keeping them set up the same as in a crown vic.
I also have never heard of any issue with them flat.
Sooo.....
What's your verdict??
Thanks
2013 Ford Explorer Limited
2005 Ford F350 Lariat - crew/short/6.0L
1972 F100 Sport Custom - reg/short 429/C6 crown vic/Explorer rear
1968 Mercury Cyclone GT 390 - in family since new
1954 Chevrolet pickup - 350/T5 mustangII/Explorer rear
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Pepper2829 wrote:So now with two great builds of bumps under your belt, similar but different, and plenty of miles on both....
Did you find any advantage to making your rear lower mounts on the crown vic on a 45°?
98% of builds keep them flat, but you had a valid point of keeping them set up the same as in a crown vic.
I also have never heard of any issue with them flat.
Sooo.....
What's your verdict??
Thanks
Its actually 4 bump builds....but who is counting right =)

I just rolled this one out for sandblast and paint.

But back onto the topic at hand...98% of the other people are not doing 150+ mph on a regular basis in their 50 year old truck either.

The rear lower control arms are designed by Ford to be mounted on a 45% angle or whatever they are mounted at...I dont remember the exact number. Why not mount them on an angle? It allows for proper alignment and Castor angle to be dialed in and it is super easy to do.

And yes, I have adjusted the Castor since I built the truck.

In the grand scheme of things, it is two tabs off the frame and one gusset between the two....I have templates now for all of these.

Little different setup on this one used a No Limit 4 link setup, changed how I mounted the fuel tank and better brackets on the rearend.

Maybe Ill start a build thread on it....will be a cool truck, Full Ride Tech Coilovers, Coyote, Front runner setup with AC and Power Steering, 14" Brakes, Tremec TKO 600. I am building it for a fellow in AZ.

Sean
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

Holy Smoke your building another one and I am still trying to get my first one done!! You are building this one exactly what I have been thinking about on my next one. I have big ideas to get back involved in auto crossing and the Optima stuff and I think you are heading in the right direction. Time for another build thread!!!!

Those front mounts...I would just about consider cutting mine off and going that route. I don't have the front clip on yet so I have access, just hate to go backwards again. Got to stop changing things!!

Barry
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

By the way let me know if you need any trans stuff. TKO and such. I can get you hooked up with American Powertrain. What rear axle on this one?

Barry