Hackster's F100 #2 CV Swap 6 speed manual and Coyote

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Hackster's F100 #2 CV Swap 6 speed manual and Coyote

Post by hackster »

Had a great weekend, went to the late night drags on Friday night for a little bit and drove the truck, no issues.

Headed to cars and coffee and got to talk to some great folks and see some killer cars. A few real standouts.

I absolutley love these cars and would sell one of my ________ to get one.

Headed over to my friends Compound to help out with firing up his cruiser....more on that in a second.

Followed him back from Cars and coffee and took advantage of his street to warm up the tires =)

His place is pretty incredible so I took the rare opportunity to snap some cool shots in his driveway.

Cruiser is just damn cool. Think of it as a restomod FJ40. Its new, painted, plated and powdercoated everything, top to bottom and is top notch. I did some of the metal fab on it and welded up the cage all the rest has been him and he needed a hand starting it. He wanted nothing to do with it so Ole and I got to work and got it fired up. It has a really cool Fuel injection setup on it and after getting the distributor in the right spot we got it fired up and broke in the cam and stuff.

His shop is pretty rough too.....what an awesome place to work.

Got a chance to bed in the rear brake pads and mess with the rear bias. I overdid it and got the rears to lock up a bit. Made one more adjustment and think Ill get it pretty close. Truck stops though, no doubt about that.

Swapped out the seat for the other one tonight as I need to do a little around town driving this week with the nice weather. Fending off a cold right now.

Big swap meet this weekend so doubt much progress.

Need to get Harnesses, Tires and a stereo before Vegas.

Sean
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Been tinkering with the truck the last few weeks but also working a bunch.

Started messing around with a better stereo setup in it a few weeks back. Trying to keep it super simple and clean, you can tell that is kind of how I roll by now

I took the back corner pieces apart and cut some giant holes in them. I wanted a custom looking setup and have some interest in wood working and making some bucks.

I built a male and female buck that I could put in my press and press my own speaker grilles to exactly fit the holes I cut without any mounts or screws to show. Kind of OEM looking.

Took a couple tries but I got it to work out.

This started out as a flat sheet.

Hertz 6.5" rear mounted, grilled painted brown to match the seat brackets and harness bar as well..

Installed in the truck.

I went with the retrosound head unit, looks factory but performs really well. Bluetooth, a couple of aux inputs and about anything else under the sun.

Sounds good. I have some 5" separates I am going to do in the kicks when I get some more motivation.

Got this guy and the harnesses installed as well. The seat is surprisingly comfortable and harnesses really hold you in there.

Went through and topped off all the fluids and did the nut and bolt go around on the truck last night. Clean it up and load up all my stuff tomorrow and hit the road.

Take off here on Thursday morning headed for Vegas.

Cross your fingers I make it there =)

Sean
crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by crazyhorse »

Mr Hackster, thank you again for the good photos.

I know I am repeating myself but your work is amazing.

I enjoy looking at the many different things you continue to post.

I hope you will continue to post all the good information/photos.

Thanks. :fr:
70shortwide

Post by 70shortwide »

hackster wrote:Been tinkering with the truck the last few weeks but also working a bunch.

Started messing around with a better stereo setup in it a few weeks back. Trying to keep it super simple and clean, you can tell that is kind of how I roll by now

I took the back corner pieces apart and cut some giant holes in them. I wanted a custom looking setup and have some interest in wood working and making some bucks.

I built a male and female buck that I could put in my press and press my own speaker grilles to exactly fit the holes I cut without any mounts or screws to show. Kind of OEM looking.

Took a couple tries but I got it to work out.

This started out as a flat sheet.

Hertz 6.5" rear mounted, grilled painted brown to match the seat brackets and harness bar as well..

Installed in the truck.

I went with the retrosound head unit, looks factory but performs really well. Bluetooth, a couple of aux inputs and about anything else under the sun.

Sounds good. I have some 5" separates I am going to do in the kicks when I get some more motivation.

Got this guy and the harnesses installed as well. The seat is surprisingly comfortable and harnesses really hold you in there.

Went through and topped off all the fluids and did the nut and bolt go around on the truck last night. Clean it up and load up all my stuff tomorrow and hit the road.

Take off here on Thursday morning headed for Vegas.

Cross your fingers I make it there =)

Sean
If you make a few of these to sell can I pretty please get in on the first buy?
poke em

Post by poke em »

I want a couple myself count me in for 4 grilles!

Those are awesome. Everything you have done on this truck is mind blowing.
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Thanks guys. Doubt I will mass produce any of them, they are pretty easy to build though :D

It takes so much time to deal with the boxing, packaging, payment and shipping stuff its not really worth it for me.....yes I know that sounds selfish, its because I am pretty selfish with my garage time. Happy to help anybody out as much as I can.

Well, got everything loaded up and hit the road this morning. Weather has been nice for what seems like months. Weather apparently moved in last night so I got to deal with this for about 150 miles. There was a number of times I could not see anything in front of me, keep in mind, big ass truck camper in the bed, extended hitch trailer and the f100 behind me.

But took the back roads the entire way and was rewarded with some awesome 2 lane roads for about 400 miles up through the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Looks like I have to find a car wash I can spend $100 at when I get into town....I hate dirt, this is going to drive me bonkers.

This was outside of Susanville, I could live there.

Also managed to get these designed and printed up at the last minute. Been using this as my shop tag for a while, figured I might as well give myself a name other than Hackster.

Maybe on the next one I can get it straight :-jammin

So I am tucked away for the night here in Reno....well Sparks actually.

Gonna hang out at the RV Park tonight and head out in the morning.
poke em

Post by poke em »

So how did it go?
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

We need pics and info.....we are dying out here in internet land!!!

Barry
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Vegas went ok. I need to work on my driving more than the truck to be totally honest. There were some brutally fast cars and very good drivers there.

I held my own overall but did pretty poor on the AutoCross and Track Day portions.

I finished 10th overall out of 23 in my class of GTV. Keep in mind most of these guys have been racing for years and years. The truck does well in the Design and Engineering portion of the event. 6th out of 23 is pretty good for a truck that has its original ***** paint and some rust holes here and there.

Some rediculous cars there as well. Dusold's camaro has 850HP on a full tube chassis...you can start to see I am a bit out of my league here, but still having fun.

Fresh Debut AMX was incredible.

This was the unfortunate part of the weekend, he hit the wall about 75 or so. The car is worse in person but the driver was OK and that is all that really matters, he can build another car.

Sitting in line waiting for the Speed Stop Challenge, you can see some killer cars I am lined up with. Pretty fun to even be able to hang with these guys in my old truck.

Our Road Rally took us down the main strip, it was brutal, hot and we were in bumper to bumper traffic for 2 hours.

Cool as hell though to see all that stuff and from the seat of the truck.

My buddy Martin has this killer wagon, it has a 535 hp 427 crate engine in it and hauls the mail!!! Well his 35 amp alternator, yes you read that right 35 amp would not keep up with the heat, the fans, lights and stuff in all that traffic and finally killed the battery. So we hung out here on the side of the road for a couple of hours until someone could bring us a battery and we could get Martin home safe.

That is what this event is all about for me. Making new friends, getting some seat time and having fun, I dont think I will ever be right at the top but hope the more seat time I get the better I can place.

This Holden was super cool, it looks like it is a real Holden brought in from Australia and sounded rowdy!!

Ill try and get a couple of action shots that are floating around the Web and get them
SATURN5

Post by SATURN5 »

Boo... All the pic links are fubar. :cry:
Bob
68 F100 Flareside, CVIFS, Cobra IRS, DOHC, M122, MS3, T45, 4.10, Cobra brakes
84 Mustang SVO, B234F, HE351, Full Cobra spec suspension and brakes including IRS, T-tops
96 Mark VIII, Complete chassis bracing, 03 Cobra wheels, Maruader converter, built trans.
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

Awesome info and pics!! I have seen the Fairmont wagon a few times on the Ultimate Street Car Challenge. I think it is the same car in my Muscle Mustang mag. I love it!! Wagons...cool foxbody...cool. All together with big power...awesome!! Man you are living my dream!!

Barry
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Links are working again, sorry for the brief delay in programming :wel: back
IN2FORD wrote:Awesome info and pics!! I have seen the Fairmont wagon a few times on the Ultimate Street Car Challenge. I think it is the same car in my Muscle Mustang mag. I love it!! Wagons...cool foxbody...cool. All together with big power...awesome!! Man you are living my dream!!

Barry
Same car and yes its bad ass. Super fun times for sure. Wish I could get down there to your neck of the woods for an event or two but its just so far away!!

Truck will have some good footage on streetcar challenge show in the next few season.

Cool Pic.

hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

I signed up for the Cascade Car club track day and instruction a week or so ago. Headed up to the class portion with Doug Bockman (sp). He put on a good class and went over a lot of the same stuff as the team continental class I took a few months ago. He went a little more in depth on car control and I took a good bit from his class.

We had 4-30 minute sessions on Friday at PIR, first two were in the rain. I was pretty bummed at first running in the rain but it turns out I got some really great car control lessons with the wet weather. Leaning how to keep the rear out without spinning it out, over correcting or lifting. After 60 minutes of in the rain I had a pretty good handle on getting around in the rain, it was slow, three cars went into the wall hard that day.

Third and Fourth sessions were in the dry and awesome. Truck worked well, track was fast, I picked up a lot about exit speed, getting on the gas faster. Slow in, Fast out is starting to mean something.

I tightened up the front coilovers 3 clicks and softened up the rear a couple and the truck was better, front end had a lot less dive and the truck was pretty balanced. I was able to get the rearend out on some faster corners but it was very predictable and controllable.

4th session I tracked down the fast car in the group a new z-28 and we did 6 or 7 laps around the track with me on his ass. He could pull me a little bit on the front straight but I could reel him in on the corners. We had a great time and passed our fair share of cars.

We talked after the session and he was impressed, could not believe I was able to hang with him the entire time.

I still need a lot more work, truck needs a little bit but I am getting better and more confident.

Onto a few pics I snapped.

Only on track action I got of it, hope to get some more.

Funny part was I loaded it up with a bunch of steel, tubing bender and a hydraulic ram today and did a bunch of running around.

Love this truck.

Sean
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

This thread seems to be kind of dead here on Fordification. Ill keep the updates coming along anyways.

Have gotten the truck out to two track days in the past few weeks. Last one was Friday night at the SCCA Tracks Night in America. We had Rain all week, then Friday was overcast and dry, it was meant to be. Got in three sessions and the truck did very well, getting faster each time out so I am learning my way around a track finally.

After the first fast session there was a crowd of suprised onlookers checking the truck out when I got back to the Paddock. Lots of questions and thumbs up and more than a few suprised fellow car guys there on track with me.

There was one car that I just could not hang with and that was a new hellcat on new Toyo r888 tires. Car was damn fast. I held my own with everyone else out there though, worked my way around a handful of Subaru's, Sti's, BMW's, 2 CTSV's and a few others. The truck works very well.

Here are a couple of photos from the last two track days cause everyone likes pictures.

First time with the truck in the rain....I was not happy but learned a ton about car control, it was a blessing in disguise actually.

The Subaru behind me was very fun car to play with. It had a full STI swap in it and was pretty quick. I ended up getting around him but we had several laps of fun before hand.

Just a couple of the old girl on track.

And then there was this guy. 2015 z28. Car is just plain bad ass. He could pull on me by a car or so down the front straight but I could reel him back in through the corners. We had some traffic and both made it around them and got in a good 7 or 8 laps of me pushing him around the corners and him dragging me down the straights it was very, very fun.

This photos was at the end of the longstraight away into turn 4 at PIR.

I dragged my friend Chris in his Dinan tuned 335i out with me this past friday and we had an absolute blast at the track. His car is quick....he was not expecting the truck to be as fast as it was at all.

Getting ready to head out for a session.

So how does the truck work. After 5 track days including two Optima weekends I think the truck works pretty well. Its not a full tilt race car, its still an old truck.

I am pushing it pretty hard and its taking it. I need to work on getting the right springs on it and stiffening up the sway bar on the front a bit. It has a little body roll in the corners but you dont feel it in the truck at all, just in photos. I would like it to be a little flatter into the corners though.

It turns extremely well and corner exits are very good, I actually make up a fair bit of time on corner exit speed, the power cones on fast and the truck dead hooks once its through the corner and settled.

I am getting too much heat in the front pads and glazing the pads and rotors so I am going to try some other brake pads this week and see if that helps. I am running AC Delco Ceramic pads for the c5 vette. I think I am going to try some Hawk pads now, not too sure what to go with as i am driving the truck, tracking it and autocrossing it all in close proximity to the other.

Ill try and do a better job of keeping the thread updated. Have not been working on much lately so not much to report other than using the old girl exactly like I built it to be used.

Sean
poke em

Post by poke em »

I love this. The truck looks great hanging with all those modern cars. I've been thinking about trying autocross in my 68. Every time I read this thread I get all googly about a coyote swap. The Mark VIII engine I have just doesn't have the power that I was expecting in this big truck.