Hackster's F100 #2 CV Swap 6 speed manual and Coyote

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

moonhanger007

Re: Hackster's F100 #2 CV Swap 6 speed manual and Coyote

Post by moonhanger007 »

Absolutely amazing, a well deserved payoff for all the blood, sweat, and tears.
Thank you for all the great pics, and superb documentation. :bow:
tripped38

Post by tripped38 »

Absolutely great way to end the build! Please keep this updated! I love the truck. Hopefully someday mine will be this cool!
crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by crazyhorse »

Congratulations, well deserved.

I have enjoyed all the information/photos .

I hope you will keep us updated.

Thank you.
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

I gotta say thanks for all the kind words to all of you guys. It sure has been fun having all of you watching over the build and cheering me on during the rough times.

To say the last 6 months of building this truck has burned me out was an understatement!!!! I feel like I have been sleep deprived for the past 6 months (I actually have been)

The last week and a half I have not done a damn thing, lots of work, getting some things caught up around the house and stuff but barely went into the garage at all. Even all weekend, not much.

I am not done with this build though, even though its on the road and made it to the first event I have a lot more work to do.

I did manage to get it to shred a new power steering belt in like 10 miles. So I tore the pump and bracket off cause I feel like I have an alignment issue. When I got the bracket off I saw I had a problem. The dowel pins that are supposed to locate the bracket to the block were in the bracket, not holding the bracket to block in the right location.

I put the dowells in the block first, then in the bracket and made sure that it is going to stay in the right spot. Have probably 25 miles on it and no signs of a problem.

Also knew that I was going to need to do something with the brakes as they got a bit hot on the track at Thunder Hill. So a little tip from a fellow forum goer and I was lead to some killer brackets that allow you to run 14" GT500 rotors and C5 corvette calipers and pads on the crown vic frontend. Not only will this be a big upgrade in stopping power, I should have a lot less brake fade but also a chance to run a huge variety of brake pads, the stock crown vic setup, not so much.

Dont worry, Ill make sure that the calipers dont say corvette on them.

Brackets should be here in the next few days, I need to order some pads and get them installed so I can mock them up.

Also, needed to get the new bigger and better offset steering wheel painted up and installed.

I also got the horn button to work. This is a factory ford horn button, mated up to a Grant Mustang steering wheel. There was some cut and chop with the horn buttons and I needed a horn itself so I got that installed and all wired up, the horn even works to boot!!!

Also got this and the cover yesterday so got a little bit of mockup done. It sucks...but man it holds you in the seat right where you should be, pain in the ass to get in and out of but Ill take that if I can focus on steering.

Next track day is on the 20th of March, should have a little more time to get things done before then. Might even come up with some kind of roll bar/harness bar.

Thanks again for all the nice words and encouragement, keeps me motivated.

Sean
Last edited by hackster on Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
poke em

Post by poke em »

This build has been amazing to watch. I am really interested in details on the corvette brake swap. I have to admit, I am a little jealous when I see that coyote under the hood. Maybe someday when my mark viii motor blows up. I spent a couple days doing math in my head after you posted the Tasca ford deal but I just can't swing it right now.
SATURN5

Post by SATURN5 »

Heh.... I wondered when someone was going to make adapters for 14" discs. I swapped on 13" Cobra rotors and calipers on mine. Spindles were plugged and redrilled and a washer between the bracket and spindle mounted the caliper. The hubs required the step to be turned off to get the rotors to seat.
Bob
68 F100 Flareside, CVIFS, Cobra IRS, DOHC, M122, MS3, T45, 4.10, Cobra brakes
84 Mustang SVO, B234F, HE351, Full Cobra spec suspension and brakes including IRS, T-tops
96 Mark VIII, Complete chassis bracing, 03 Cobra wheels, Maruader converter, built trans.
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

SATURN5 wrote:Heh.... I wondered when someone was going to make adapters for 14" discs. I swapped on 13" Cobra rotors and calipers on mine. Spindles were plugged and redrilled and a washer between the bracket and spindle mounted the caliper. The hubs required the step to be turned off to get the rotors to seat.
I know that the truck stopped really well before, should be even more better now. I kept the flange on the hubs, just needed to open up the rotor .003 so not much at all.

Messed around the garage today for a little bit after a really rough night last night.

What I started with this morning.

So you can see the brackets here in the photos, they are really nice quality and the hardware came with them. They adapt the crown vic frontend to the C5 corvette PBR aluminum calipers and run the 14" GT500 rotors.

The Rotors needed to be opened up at the center of the hub to fit over the crown vic.

You can get the idea from the photos of the size difference from the photos. Stockers are 12" and the upgrades are 14"

I had to make some provisions to the calipers for the smaller wheels..you can see I made some changes with the grinder to these. I have about 2mm clearance now to the caliper from the wheel...its tight but it should be just fine.

I love the fact that it is OEM looking but biggg..

I likey.
Monkey-1

Post by Monkey-1 »

That's a pretty slick little mod. I also noticed you used a 'metal eraser' to alleviate the logo. Nice work. Link to the brackets or are they one off, and made of Unobtainium?
-Monkey-1
1985 F-150 Build Thread (CV Swap, 4.6, Frame-Off) https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1519 ... 4-6-a.html
1977 F-100 Flareside Build Thread (CV Swap, 4.6, Frame-Off) https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1545 ... hread.html
Studmonkeyracing.com
studmonkey@bellsouth.net
poke em

Post by poke em »

That should solve your hot brake issue. After reading your post on this the other day, I read all about this swap and actually picked up a set of brackets for future use. You'll have to let us know how they perform.

Here is the original thread from a Marauder site on this setup:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/s ... hp?t=94024
SATURN5

Post by SATURN5 »

Impressed you can squeeze them inside 18's..... :eek: Brackets look easy enough to mill... :thup:

The Cobra swap.

Bob
84 Mustang SVO, B234F, HE351, Full Cobra spec suspension and brakes including IRS, T-tops
96 Mark VIII, Complete chassis bracing, 03 Cobra wheels, Maruader converter, built trans.
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

poke em wrote:That should solve your hot brake issue. After reading your post on this the other day, I read all about this swap and actually picked up a set of brackets for future use. You'll have to let us know how they perform.

Here is the original thread from a Marauder site on this setup:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/s ... hp?t=94024
That is where I got all the info and the brackets for the swap. Needing some dry weather and finish up a few things so I can go and see how they work. The real test will be Sunday.
SATURN5 wrote:Impressed you can squeeze them inside 18's..... :eek: Brackets look easy enough to mill... :thup:

The Cobra swap.

It was not easy and there is not a lot of wiggle room. I have no Mill so its easier for me to pay someone else to do it. Good looking swap.

Had a little time in the shop last night, well enough to get frustrated with a few things then get over it. I really want to get some harnesses to hold me into the seat for track days but I also dont want this to turn into a track truck only and a full cage gets pretty hard to live with on a day to day basis.

So here is the aftermath.

The plan is to run some support rods from the center of the bar down next to the seats and tie into the floor to add some triangulation. All mounts will be double shear and it should be more than sufficient to hold me in place and deal with the forces of any crash. The tube is 1.75 .120 wall DOM not some lightweight weenie stuff that I have seen other bars built from.

Also since I was going gung ho on the Brakes, I figured the rear needs an upgrade as well. So I ordered the rear caliper brackets for the GT500 rear brakes and some new rear rotors for the GT500 stuff. Rear will be 13.8" now.

Hope to get this wrapped up tonight and get the truck back road worthy with the seat bolted in and the harness bar in place.

Sean
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Worked on this a little bit more last night, just kind of tinkering but realizing I need to have this **** done in a day or two for Sundays track day.

I did a lot of reading on harness bars before building this, and saw a few of them that had actually collapsed in the center from an impact. I do not want that to happen and want to be safe so I built this to tie in the center to the floor boards.

I think it turned out really well, is very unobtrusive into the passenger area and is still keeping it classy.

I got everything welded out last night and even got a few things painted. I need to get the main bar painted and install everything. I need to break in the brakes and make sure all is still functional and the damn thing stops.

I got some brake ducting from Summit last night, probably will not be permanent but should have something rigged up for the front brakes.

Sean
SATURN5

Post by SATURN5 »

Not sure what you do for work, but do they have an office in SW Ohio? :D :lol:
Bob
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

SATURN5 wrote:Not sure what you do for work, but do they have an office in SW Ohio? :D :lol:
Unfortunately not, I happen to be fortunate enough to be one of the owners at the company and no real plans on expanding to Ohio :D

Do you want to move to Portland Or? =)
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

what does the bar tie into at each end in the corner of the cab?

Barry