Hackster's F100 #2 CV Swap 6 speed manual and Coyote

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

redmcode

Re: Hackster's F100 #2 CV Swap 6 speed manual and Coyote

Post by redmcode »

hackster wrote:
SATURN5 wrote:Not sure what you do for work, but do they have an office in SW Ohio? :D :lol:
Unfortunately not, I happen to be fortunate enough to be one of the owners at the company and no real plans on expanding to Ohio :D

Do you want to move to Portland Or? =)

I will move to Portland :thup:
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

IN2FORD wrote:what does the bar tie into at each end in the corner of the cab?

Barry
It only ties into the factory sheetmetal and its pretty thin at that point. My thinking though it is that it is in shear, not in pull if that makes sense. With the center of the bar supported pretty well it would have to rip through the door jamb in order to come loose and I doubt that is ever going to happen.

Without a roll cage, my options are pretty limited.

Managed to get everything painted up and installed with new hardware.

Turned out pretty good in my opinion.

Well good news and bad news. I got the pads bed in last night and holy **** does this thing stop, and that is with the stock rear rotors on it, should get a little better with the 14's on the back. I have to adjust some rear bias as the fronts were able to lock up pretty easy now but not going to adjust it until I get the rears on there.

The pedal feel is actually quite a bit improved from before, a little stiffer a little higher off the floor so all around pretty damn happy.

Hanging out between runs after letting the pads cool down.

The bad news is that I cannot keep a damn power steering belt on this bitch. This time it just flew off, there was no evidence of any kind of damage to it other than the chew marks where it hit the stock belt.

Apparently Ford offers a tensioner kit and pulley to work with the AC pump, so I ordered that, hope it shows up tomorrow, if not I think I am screwed for the weekend.

Handling and braking on this old turd is incredible, you would never know you were in an old truck unless you got out and looked at the inside.

Seating is much better, I am lower in the cab with more leg room and its pretty comfy too. Not sure I am ever going to take it out.

Sean
Last edited by hackster on Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
SATURN5

Post by SATURN5 »

hackster wrote:
SATURN5 wrote:Not sure what you do for work, but do they have an office in SW Ohio? :D :lol:
Unfortunately not, I happen to be fortunate enough to be one of the owners at the company and no real plans on expanding to Ohio :D

I'm hoping soon to say that myself. Nothing big, just something alongside my "day" job. If it takes off, so much the better. :)

Intriguing, and I'm sure the wife would love to get out of here, but my roots run 200 years here.

If you're worried about the tie ins to the floor, why not in addition, tie them into the inner seat mounts to spread the floor load?
Bob
68 F100 Flareside, CVIFS, Cobra IRS, DOHC, M122, MS3, T45, 4.10, Cobra brakes
84 Mustang SVO, B234F, HE351, Full Cobra spec suspension and brakes including IRS, T-tops
96 Mark VIII, Complete chassis bracing, 03 Cobra wheels, Maruader converter, built trans.
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

SATURN5 wrote:
hackster wrote:

I'm hoping soon to say that myself. Nothing big, just something alongside my "day" job. If it takes off, so much the better. :)

Intriguing, and I'm sure the wife would love to get out of here, but my roots run 200 years here.

If you're worried about the tie ins to the floor, why not in addition, tie them into the inner seat mounts to spread the floor load?
Congrats my friend!! Owning your own business is a challenge all in itself, then add in people and its a whole different ballgame, I am new to the ownership in the past few years, its fun and terrifying all at the same time.

So I bought 2 belts, got one installed, changed the oil and filter tonight....no metal in this one =) and got these little guys installed in the front bumper. I did not have much choice in the placement of them as they needed to be outside of the framerails as I would not be able to get the ducts under the frame without them really dragging on the ground or getting in the way of the engine or steering. Now to figure out how to get the hose between the wheel, tire, sway bar, strut, coil spring and all that crap.

Looks pretty cool.

Took the truck to dinner, without issue this time with the wife. I have a tough time driving this thing not like an idiot and its fast. Not supercar fast, but damn fast for an old pickup truck.

I wanted to see what she thought of it so we found a little back road and did some spirited acceleration and braking. One time of that and she wanted out of the truck. It does good 1,2 burnouts even with granny shifting the thing and comes to a stop right now... It was awesome =)

Gotta get my **** together and make sure I can tow the trailer with the camper and the extended stinger now.

Happy Friday to everyone.

Sean
michael9218

Post by michael9218 »

So I gotta ask, how does this truck compare to your other truck?

Leaf rear suspension compared to the multi-link coilover.

Wilwood brakes on the other truck. Curious why you didn't again go with Wilwood.
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

michael9218 wrote:So I gotta ask, how does this truck compare to your other truck?

Leaf rear suspension compared to the multi-link coilover.

Wilwood brakes on the other truck. Curious why you didn't again go with Wilwood.
The two trucks could not be more different in my opinion. The LS truck with the auto and bench seat is a cruiser, flies down the freeway and rides pretty smooth, has a fair bit of ground clearance, shiny clean paint, good boost noises.

This truck just wants to go, straight line, corners, stopping its aggressive, seating position is just right. It has 3 pedals and a 6 speed. I told my wife this is the car that is going to get me in trouble.

Rear suspension is awesome very little wheel hop under power great manners and tracks about perfect.

Brakes.....oh the brakes. The wilwood stuff on the other truck is awesome, definately looks the part but it also looks the part, its expensive, very expensive. It stops really well.

However, I very much like the OEM look, fit and finish of what I have going on on the coyote truck. The rear brakes were already ok, and no reason to go aftermarket to be honest. This truck stops better than the other truck, probably because I have beat on it more in the 350 miles I have on it than I have on the LS truck in several thousand miles. Also, its much more unassuming this way and WAAAAAAYYYYY Cheaper. I mean like cheaper by thousands of dollars.

Still battling the power steering belt, tossed another one today. Went to put the tensioner kit on and the belt was too short, got new belt put on and you can then clearly see that the pulley on the pump is not on far enough, tried to put on further and the shaft just spins. Pulled it off and [censored] up the inside bore, so I ordered a new one but it will not be here till tomorrow so its likely that ORP is just not in the cards this weekend.

There are a lot more weekends to come.

Sean
michael9218

Post by michael9218 »

Thanks for that feedback.

Interesting about the Wilwoods compared to the pieced together system. I raced a BMW M3 for 9 years with the BMW car club, so I became a fan of good brakes. A lot goes into a properly designed braking system; MC piston size, caliper piston area, rotor size, pad shape and of course pad compound...I don't recall you mentioning pad compound that you used on the track. A proper metalic high temp pad will make an amazing difference regarding brake fade. Personally, I was a fan of the PFC stuff. PFC01 and later PFC11. But track pads are aweful on the street. They need high temps to perform.

Loving your trucks... :thup:
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

You are going to laugh at me....the pads were some auto parts store pads that I put on the white truck when I built it before the Wilwoods went on there. Then they kicked around my shed for a year or so then went on this truck. So to say I have a better setup now is an understatement.

I ordered in a new power steering pulley last night and it somehow showed up this morning at Oreiley's....,.,I never buy anything there but they said they could get it there in the morning and they actually did that. It was the right one to boot.

While I was at my normal parts store visiting my buddy Andrew, I asked about a proper pulley installation tool and looked around on his shelf of tools and low and behold there was a whole kit that had the 8x1.25 one in it that I needed. So I got my crap and headed on my way. I used my Garage heater (Hair Drier and a Towel) to heat up the pulley. You would not believe how hot it will get things, hotter than it should.

The pulley installer was key, and I think was my problem all along (Hopefully) It has a bolt that threads into the pump, then a thrust washer, a bearing and then the threaded rod and press portion. It takes all the rotational torque out of the equation. Got it all ready and with the hot ass pulley, I tossed it on there, got the tool installed and pressed on the new pulley, there was no drama like the first time, no washers getting stacked up. I guess you live and learn.

The pulley went on at least 1/4" or more further than the last one. I am pretty sure that was causing some alignment issues. That combined with a much higher quality belt, I never new that Gates made a regular 6 groove and a green label six groove belt, there is a difference in the backing, the depth of the grooves and the thickness of the belt as well. Still learning.

Got the belt routed and installed and fired it up with no drama. Also finally installed the covers on the battery while I had that disconnected, looks more finished now than before.

Also got some brake ducts installed, not happy with them at all but they should work for the weekend no problem.

So a trip around the block filled up with fuel and onto the trailer.

First time towing with the camper, the hitch extension and the trailer, truck did remarably well considering that there was a massive headwind all the way out here.

Arrived without issue, got the truck unloaded and the registration done, chatted with a few others that were here and spending some quality time with the wife in the camper.

All in all a great day...we are pretty tired though :D

Monkey-1

Post by Monkey-1 »

Glad you made it and glad that your local Oreillys is better than my local one. How did the new seat/belts/rear bar do?
-Monkey-1
1985 F-150 Build Thread (CV Swap, 4.6, Frame-Off) https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1519 ... 4-6-a.html
1977 F-100 Flareside Build Thread (CV Swap, 4.6, Frame-Off) https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1545 ... hread.html
Studmonkeyracing.com
studmonkey@bellsouth.net
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Thanks, I never order from them at all but in this case they said they could get it there and they did. They are not really known for being good parts places all around.

What a weekend...my instructor for the day on Sunday was Peter and he is a very, very experienced driver and racer. I was fortunate to have him as I know him from the Volvo world and he was eager to see what I and the truck could do.

It was a whirlwind schedule, drivers meeting, then classroom, then on track, then classroom, then on track then classroom. We were hustling all day long from about 7 am to about 4 pm when the rain really rolled in hard and I put the truck on the trailer.

I learned a ton, both on the track and in the classroom. I am getting more comfortable in the truck each time its on the track and my efforts to fix things are paying off big time. I had no power steering issues, even on the rev limiter by accident a few times, no leaks or other issues. The brakes performed awesome. The switch to the bigger front rotors and calipers was impressive, late braking was much easier and the motul dot 4 660 fluid, and brake ducts did their job and there was zero brake fade all day.

Truck was an absolute blast on the track, it just kept getting faster and faster the harder we pushed it, its very well balanced and turn in is excellent. We were both impressed at just how quick the truck could go around the track. So was the guy in the c7 corvette that had a rearview mirror full of 68 ford pickup for lap after lap =)

Another epic weekend. The wife had a great time, we got to use the camper, the truck , the trailer and spent a weekend at a beautiful track.

I would call it a total success!!!! Not to mention beating the snot out of the truck and all I did was check the lugnuts all day.

Messing around with this all day on the track was just stupid fun for us. Probably not being driven to its limits as we were both in group 1, but he had a lot of track experience and the car was fast. He could pull on me just al ittle on the front straight when he was really getting into it, but I could reel him in in the first couple of corners after that and be right on his rear bumper. I am sure I dont have a chance against some of the fast guys in a fast car but it sure was fun.

Going to do the rear brakes this week, order some harnesses and get on the front brake ducts...they are hammered and rub the wheels at anywhere close to full lock.

Another epic weekend......now to prep for April Optima in Vegas in 3 weeks.

Sean
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

I wonder how hard it would be to install larger brake ducts from behind the grill through the radiator support and directly to the top of the caliper?
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Well, I bet you could but I have nothing to attach the hose to up inside the fender. I have a plan, just going to take a little work, Ill get it.

So no rest for the weary....well, I wanted to get these done before the weekend but just did not get around to it.

Stock 2012 mustang rear brakes to begin.

Rearend has to come apart in order to change the backing plates, to I leisurely pulled the diff cover, center pin, c lips and slid the axles out and cleaned them up. Pulled the stick brake brackets off the axle and bolted on the FORD GT500 brackets on. $60.00 each I believe.

Got those on both sides and put the diff back together, it needed a fluid change any way...no it really did. The cool thing was that this setup used the OEM mustang caliper and the GT500 bracket and rotors.

Got the rotors back on and bolted the calipers on as well. That is a 13.8" rear rotor.

18" wheels, 14" rotors in the rear.

I did it mostly because I wanted a bigger rotor, not for any kind of additional stopping power. Should give me a little better rear braking as well.

Going to run out of stuff to do soon :D

Sean
Last edited by hackster on Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
michael9218

Post by michael9218 »

Those are some big brakes...at least they look cool...but, biggest bang for the buck is pad compound. If you're not using track specific pads, you'll always be chasing brake issues. I speak from experience...

Brake cooling should be directed at the hub to the back side of the rotor, not the caliper. Rotors have vanes between the braking surfaces. These vanes move air from the hub to the outside of the rotor. The cooling air should be directed to compliment this design.
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

michael9218 wrote:Those are some big brakes...at least they look cool...but, biggest bang for the buck is pad compound. If you're not using track specific pads, you'll always be chasing brake issues. I speak from experience...

Brake cooling should be directed at the hub to the back side of the rotor, not the caliper. Rotors have vanes between the braking surfaces. These vanes move air from the hub to the outside of the rotor. The cooling air should be directed to compliment this design.
I totally agree with that. The issue I am running into is finding an all around pad.....it does not exist. Remember I built this truck for an event that runs multiple events, autocross, speed stop challenge and track day all in a weekend. So track pads suck on the autocross and speed stop but hold up well on the track. The autocross pads heat up quick and work great but will tear up rotors and not last long on the track.

If you have a pad that you can suggest that will do it all well, I would totally give them a shot.

I did a bunch of reading on the cooling ducts, i am trying to get it to the center of the rotor to go out through the vanes.

Sean
michael9218

Post by michael9218 »

You're right, then. An all around pad doesn't really exist. Your best bet is a high performance ceramic type pad...and big brakes. 8)

I ran my racecar for giggles once in an autox with the race pads. They were about as effective as blocks of wood. Autox and race track demands couldn't be more different. Autox requires cold initial bite, race pads sacrifice this for high temp performance.

And those big brakes do look cool, though the Wilwoods on the other truck look more custom.