Mc Fugly

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Mc Fugly

Post by flyboy2610 »

I have a Milwaukee grinder with a paddle switch. I have never liked the idea of a slide switch on a grinder. I have heard too many horror stories of them getting dropped and taking off on their own, usually straight at the person who was using it. With a paddle switch, if you drop it it shuts off. :wink:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

flyboy2610 wrote:I have a Milwaukee grinder with a paddle switch. I have never liked the idea of a slide switch on a grinder. I have heard too many horror stories of them getting dropped and taking off on their own, usually straight at the person who was using it. With a paddle switch, if you drop it it shuts off. :wink:
Yep, I can attest to that. Had a Harbor Freight grinder with an on/off switch take off across a concrete floor and narrowly miss my kid, running across my MIG cable and taking a healthy chunk out of it before I could yank the plug. Luckily it was salvageable. I put it to one side and went with a paddle switch model until that died a few weeks ago and I reluctantly broke out the old one again. The latest gouge in my finger is healing nicely, thank you, and now I have a paddle switch grinder again (Harbor Freight again, but this time with the 2 year warranty. That should be long enough to cover about half a dozen replacements going by past experience...)
And always keep the brushes that HF supply with their stuff. You're going to need then.
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
67swbranger

Post by 67swbranger »

Got some big stuff done this week, but it just opened up a massive can of worms when it comes to getting the little stuff done

Rest In Pieces old front clip, can't say you'll be missed

free image uploader

Got the engine in and inner fenders in

20mb image hosting

Got the fenders on, going to have to do some adjusting

image hosting 10mb limit

Got the top of the grille bolted on, I don't have any pictures of it adjusted but I really lucked out, it bolted right up to the 1979 radiator support and the 67 fenders I mounted on some 1979 inner fenders.

images upload

Here's a picture of the fender and grille together

image sharing sites

Another picture of the engine

image hosting gif

Here's a picture of the bed, bed liners all in. I'm not sure I like the way the bed turned out, repair wise the welds are mostly messy lap welds and the patch panels I cut weren't all that great, was really just going for strength when I built it and not the smooth look of a final product. But kudos to rustoleum for their bedliner, did pretty well for something you can roll on and that only costs 50 bucks...

free pic
Bumpside Ford truck, made out of an 1967 f100, a 1972 f100, a 1978 lincoln, a 1987 f250, a 1993 crown victoria, a 2003 crown victora, and a whole lot of cutoff wheels and mig wire. Doesnt have many uses but is amazing at confusing the guy behind the parts store counter
67swbranger

Post by 67swbranger »

Jacksdad wrote:
flyboy2610 wrote:I have a Milwaukee grinder with a paddle switch. I have never liked the idea of a slide switch on a grinder. I have heard too many horror stories of them getting dropped and taking off on their own, usually straight at the person who was using it. With a paddle switch, if you drop it it shuts off. :wink:
Yep, I can attest to that. Had a Harbor Freight grinder with an on/off switch take off across a concrete floor and narrowly miss my kid, running across my MIG cable and taking a healthy chunk out of it before I could yank the plug. Luckily it was salvageable. I put it to one side and went with a paddle switch model until that died a few weeks ago and I reluctantly broke out the old one again. The latest gouge in my finger is healing nicely, thank you, and now I have a paddle switch grinder again (Harbor Freight again, but this time with the 2 year warranty. That should be long enough to cover about half a dozen replacements going by past experience...)
And always keep the brushes that HF supply with their stuff. You're going to need then.
I thought I was the only one who kept trying to cut my fingers off with a grinder, fun aint it :D . Those harbor freight grinders do seem to have a mind of their own when it comes to the on\off switch, had them take off on me even after I double checked it was off. I'm using a dewalt now, it's a switch type like the HF but its soooooo much better, and it goes off and stays off when I turn it off. Course nothing beats a paddle switch, but I can't complain about a dewalt, their pretty awesome
Bumpside Ford truck, made out of an 1967 f100, a 1972 f100, a 1978 lincoln, a 1987 f250, a 1993 crown victoria, a 2003 crown victora, and a whole lot of cutoff wheels and mig wire. Doesnt have many uses but is amazing at confusing the guy behind the parts store counter
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

67swbranger wrote:I thought I was the only one who kept trying to cut my fingers off with a grinder, fun aint it :D
Oh yeah. Some of the best scars I have are from angle grinders - two of them within 30 minutes of each other. Not a fast learner apparently.
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
67swbranger

Post by 67swbranger »

So It's been a decent while since my last update on the truck... and alot of stuff happened to the truck in that "decent while". I got the truck together, got everything body, interior, electrical, suspension, and brake wise done, almost got it running good enough to drive around the block... here's one of the few pictures I have of it, right before windshield and interior went in

Imagepost a picture

Imagehow do i print screen

That was around november, Around then I decided I didn't really like the way it had turned out, everything was far too mild on the build, 351w/c6/ 1979 f150 suspension/ wider 9 inch wasnt really doing it for me, and I wasn't really happy with the quality of the work on it. So I tore it all down, sold the shortbed for a very decent chunk of money, thinking it would be easy to find another one when I was ready (I was so completely wrong about that). Front suspension got scrapped, 9 inch went on ebay. Managed to break my windshield on removal but that was the only unintended casualty. Sat for about 6 months after that, till about july or so I decided to start working on it again. Heres Some pictures of what I've done to it so far

Havent cleaned up or painted the area yet, sprayed some epoxy primer in a can around the area, but it decided to start rusting anyway. I was against the crown vic swap when I first started the build a year ago, but after doing it I can't recommend it enough! It takes a little effort but its completely worth it in my opinion. And I really think it takes the build to a different level, that can't really be done with I-beam suspension

Imagetemp image upload

Got the bottom of the cab undercoated, one of the many things I wish I had done the first time. Not the most amazing picture because the undercoat is still drying and splotchy, but it looks pretty good now that its dried

Imagehost image

What you see under there is a axle flipped ford 8.8 rear, not quiet as strong as the 9 inch, but I definitely wanted four wheel disc brakes, right now its a open diff with 3.XX something gears, I will be Purchasing a limited slip 8.8 with 2.73 gears soon, for reasons I will go into later. C-notch about 80% done, just gotta finishing cutting the notch out on the other side and paint it.

Imageimg

Imageimage hosting 10mb limit

Found this little gem at the junkyard in a 1987 f250 by complete accident. I wasnt planning on pulling an engine from a junkyard that day. All I had was a cheapy harbor freight socket set and a 3/8 socket wrench with me. But my buddy brought over some heavy duty chain and a lift plate, and my mom was even able to bring me a sawzall for the exhaust on her lunch break. After quiet a few hours fighting it we were able to get it free... 250$ for a good condition big block 460 is probably one of the better deals I've gotten in awhile. That also brings me to why I am not keeping the open rear diff with 3.XX gears, I wouldnt have a drop of traction at anything above 1/4 throttle with the torque/hp figure I'm going for. I figure doubling the amount of rubber that transmits power to the ground, even if its just a limited slip turning the wheels at different rates will help me tremendously, atleast theyll be spinning under power in the same direction. Which is also partally why I'm planning on on 2.73 gears, it will help reduce the amount of tire spin due to less gear advantage, and it might even get me 12MPG on the highway!

Imagegif hosting

Bought this rusty little thing on craigslist a week or so ago. Had no real idea what I was buying until I got there, I thought the only thing i'd be using was the windshield based on what I saw in the pictures

Imagefree upload

I managed to get extremely lucky on this buy, not only was I able to get the windshield I needed, I also got the short wheel base bed I needed in decent shape, a useable wiring harness, sliding rear glass, the big block C6 transmission I wanted for the 460, a 67-72 automatic steering column, and, by some miracle, on a truck where the cab is about to split in half due to rust, a set of nearly rust free inner fenders. Which will be replacing the extremely makeshift 1973-1979 galvanized inner fenders currently on my 67'.

Imagehow to take screenshots

Imageimage upload

Imageimage upload no resize

Imagegif uploader

Also picked up this goody on a different trip, I thought briefly about just cleaning it up and throwing it into the truck, but I will be going for a full "on board diagnostic system" approach, I think it'll be nice to know exactly whats happening inside the major components of the truck, instead of just a general idea of whether or not the engine is hot or cold

Imageupload jpg

And one final thing, I found these in the blue parts truck when I got it, does anyone know what these seats are out of? They look like they had the 1967-1972 f100 seat tracks from the factory, but i've never seen any seat like them, and I dont want to cut it up for the seat tracks if its an especially uncommon seat type

Imageupload pics

Thats gonna be it for a month or so, most of the money for this build is coming from fenders and hoods i repair, refinish and sell so progress is kinda slow sometimes