72 F250 CV Swap and LS1

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

JamesM72CS

72 F250 CV Swap and LS1

Post by JamesM72CS »

Well I figured i can start a build thread as Ive finally made a bit of progress. The pickup was given to me from my grandfather, it was all stock with a 390, c6 and factory ac.

Here is the how I drove the pickup for awhile with an axle flip and 1 3/4 coils cut. It looked alright but bottomed out everywhere and didnt handle well.
Yea i know my lawn looks like crap I drive truck and am gone a lot and going to pick up the cv front was a higher priority lol.

Here's another one out at my dads farm.

The last purpose the pickup will serve with the old i beam suspension was the haul the cv front home.

Burrow my bosses f150 with an ecoboost to pick up this 99k my ta with a ls1 and 4l60e. The ecoboost is a champ, I live in Pine Bluffs Wy and drove to Grand Junction Co to pick the car up. It pulled those hills on i70 pretty damn good. The car is totaled, it was t-boned and had a hack job for a repair. The drive train will serve much better in the old Ford. Btw I own a mazda, few chevys and have owned fords, I have no brand loyalty what so ever lol. I love the old bumpside Fords though.
fImage

Front clip removed

390 out

Old suspension out

Welded some square tubing in for a brace.

Cut the crossmember out with a sawzall. Ground down the rivets for the spring cups and started removing one when i remember i forgot to mark the center line. I stopped here and had to go change oil and service my semi. Any input on how you guys marked the center would be great!
Coupe5oh

Re: 72 F250 CV Swap and LS1

Post by Coupe5oh »

There are two existing rivet holes in the bottom of the rail, if I remember right the hole I drilled for the alignment pins was directly in between them.
-1993 Cobra #121, Black/ Grey leather
-1968 Mustang GT Fastback, Gulfstream Aqua
-1967 f100 pile of parts...
JamesM72CS

Post by JamesM72CS »

Cool thanks. That's exactly where my measuments that I took last night say the should be...nice to know someone else got the same spot.
JamesM72CS

Post by JamesM72CS »

Finally got some more work done. Too damn slow for my liking but every time I keep having to work.

Got the holes drilled and got it all mounted. Still need to box the frame and weld the sleeves in. Also welded some quarter inch plate on.Image
yarko

Post by yarko »

The info about the rivet holes is great! Seems to simplify things. I'm very interested in this build. Can't wait to see more!
JamesM72CS

Post by JamesM72CS »

Finally got around to getting a little work done. Found a rear out of a 99 merc mountianeer with 3.73s and limited slip for 140 dollars, got the sway bar mounted and some pieces cut to box the frame. Also managed to get the ls1 and 4l60e out of the trans am after working on 379 peterbilts and the old 250 I realized how much it sucks to do anything to the cramped engine bay of the 4th gen f-body, but it wasnt that bad. Im really having a hard time deciding between 18s and 20s for wheels, and where the cheapest place to buy them is. Im pretty sure I want raceline wheels, maybe the sniper 5s but im not sure. Any input is greatly appreciated :D

Ive been toying around with the idea of z'ing the frame, thats why the frame hasnt had the pieces welded in yet...any opinions on this are welcome.
In my opinion taking the engine out of the bottom is the easiest way to get one out of a 4th gen f-body, only once have i taken one out of the top and never again lol.
slitherfast

Post by slitherfast »

JamesM72CS wrote: Ive been toying around with the idea of z'ing the frame, thats why the frame hasnt had the pieces welded in yet...any opinions on this are welcome.
It really depends on what your end goal is. Are you looking to lay frame/rocker? If yes then a Z will go along way with making this happen. If the ride height of the CV front is what you want and happy with I would not bother with the work required to do a Z. Unless laying frame and bagging the truck is the end goal I would not Z the frame. Based on your current ride height I would C-notch the rear. It will help the ride quality.
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

I am in the same spot as you on wheels. With the choice of the Explorer/Mountaineer rearend and CV front suspension, it's going to be custom offset at all corners. Cheapest is American Racing then comes Raceline, US Mags, and then all of the typical billet wheel shops like Budnik. Another option is Detroit Steel Wheels. Cool stuff. I have not decided on a wheel either and that is going to be tough decision.

Barry
JamesM72CS

Post by JamesM72CS »

If I do go with airbags someday I guess it doesn't need to lay on the rockers. Really what i should be asking is how much lower I can go with drop springs. Being a long bed I want it to sit level, I think a rake looks great on swb, so a c notch is planned at some point for the rear. It bottomed out all the time with just a flip and cut front springs, it was horrid lol.

As for wheels I can decide on style, but size is another story. One day I'll decide to go with 20s then its 18 and 19s or 19s all around. I don't want them to look too big or too small. I haven't seen a lowered pickup with big wheels around in person before. When they are 600 or so awheel I don't want something I won't like!

Well I just worked a 18 hour shift. So time for bed. No work tomorrow other than oil change in the ol Pete so maybe get something done.
redmcode

Post by redmcode »

What did/are you doing for motor mounts?
JamesM72CS

Post by JamesM72CS »

redmcode wrote:What did/are you doing for motor mounts?
Well I only got to work on it a bit this weekend. I stripped everything else off of the trans am that I might be able to use and hauled it and the engine back to town to my buddies shop. So I haven't got to test fit the engine yet, but the factory ta mounts look like I may be able to modify them to fit. I really have no idea though.
slitherfast

Post by slitherfast »

5/7 drop is the biggest I've seen in a static drop. You can't really get much lower.
JamesM72CS

Post by JamesM72CS »

Well I'd be pretty happy if it was just a bit lower than with 1 3-4 coils cut and the axle flip on 16 in wheels and 235 tires.
JamesM72CS

Post by JamesM72CS »

Finally got around to fabbing up some motor mounts as the stock ones would not work like I had thought.

Hammered some 2 1/2in strap into this...oh and 3/16in thick.
Cut some 2 1/2in square tubing, made a square out of the strap to fit in the bottom, drilled a hole and welded a bolt in.
Added some gussets and welded it all together.
They seem to fit pretty damn good. and I'm really happy with the way the engine sits.
devindastrup

Post by devindastrup »

Very cool! My truck is the same colors!