77 F100 Crown Vic swap project "Baby Blue"

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

yamahaguy2007

Re: 77 F100 Crown Vic swap project "Baby Blue"

Post by yamahaguy2007 »

Ok, here is the most recent work on Baby Blue. Got to a point on the front end where I need some parts like the steering shaft and joint to finish the fab work up. Unfortunately that takes money which I am short on at the moment. To keep forward moment I decided to start on the thus far neglected rear of the truck.

Got the torch out again to clean off all of the brackets for the vic suspension. This included the anti sway bar, didn't want to bother with it since the final dream is to do the IRS swap. :D

The rear end is the one from the 05 Crown Vic which of course is the 8.8" and what I think to be a good option for Blue, X5 which is a 3.27 Trac Lok. Paired with the 3 speed c6 it should be a good mix of stoplight warrior and cruiser.

The plan is to use a factory style setup with the factory leaf on perches and a stock style shock mounts. To lower the rear I plan to start with flipping the front hangers and see where that gets me. I don't want to do an axle flip because like I said before I want Blue to end up with irs so I don't want to go cutting notches in her frame.

I wanted to get the bed off to make things easier to get to. Turns out Blue wasn't so willing to give up her bed. I had to grind the heads off of all but 2 of the bed bolts. I was alone on this portion of the project so I went and got the Massey.

Little redneck ingenuity! :lol:

Farm truck? I think so. There is enough mud on the frame that it probably made the truck set lower that stock!

See that dirt!?!?

Slid the vic rear underneath the truck in front of the stock one just to take some eyeball measurements. I probably should mention at this time that I have two full sets of vic wheels. One set is off of a 98 p71 vic with the lower offset and the other is the 05 p71 set it the super high offset. This set you see here is the 98 which is the widest track.

Doesn't look much wider than stock.

I would say for sure less than an inch wider on each side. Going to be close with the 98 rims.

While I had the tractor out i decided to throw the front clip on real quick to see how it was going to look. The first pics will have the high offset 05 rims and the second set will be with the low offset 98 rims.

I hope the 98 rims will fit under the back. The 05 rims just seems lost deep inside the big fender.

Drivers side with the 05 rims and a newer p71 center cap.

Enter the 98 rims. Looks like the factory 77 did. I like this one better, just have to see if they will fit under the bed with that wide vic rear end.

Put the old style p71 center caps on for these. Diggin' it! 8)

I can't get over this awesome new stance. Can't wait to see how low she goes with the motor and trans in her.

:D

Well, this is where I set. Just waiting on some time to get to work on the rear end again. Will post some more as soon as I am able to get to work on her again. Thanks for letting me ramble to get caught up to present day! :fr:
:woohoo:
Ford is the only option in this family!

77 Ford F100 Custom SWB (work in progress)
11 Ford Edge (wife's ride)
03 Ford Expedition (my ride since high school)
99 Ford F-350 Centurion (the barely used 40k mile trailer tugger)
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

I like the stance and the 98 wheels. You have a great looking ride there man!!!!!!
Paul
:fr: FE390PC
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
Gone 1997, 1999 & 2003 F150 4x4s
Gone 1988, 1989 & 1991 Broncs
yamahaguy2007

Post by yamahaguy2007 »

hfdco4 wrote:I like the stance and the 98 wheels. You have a great looking ride there man!!!!!!
I appreciate that. She ain't much at the moment but it's mine and I will get it there someday. And thanks to all you bump guys for allowing me here. I know Blue is a dent and she is on the dent forum as well but you bump guys have done this soooo many times that I wanted your expertise to help guide me along. Thanks.

yamahaguy2007

Post by yamahaguy2007 »

Got in a little more work on Baby Blue last night. Since we are focusing on the rear of the truck, I had to get the old rear end out of the way. I didn't bother to see what the old rear was, just know I didn't need it. I started by unbolting the top of the shocks and the brake line, then I just cut emergency brake cables to make way for new ones. Next up, the u bolts. Little w.d. and cheater bar worked like a charm.

Been on there a long time.

Got both sides loose, time to go.

Springs are probably pretty weak but I'm going to use them since irs is in her future. They aren't cracked or missing anything.

Once fab is done and weather allows (ice storm predicted for tomorrow :cry: ) I will get her out of the shop and power washed.

Out with the old and in with the new. After the test fit I realized I forgot to cut of the vic bump stops. Got those with the grinder. Didn't feel like torch was necessary for this.

Slid the 8.8 under and used the old u bolts for mock up. Still need to get some perches and new u bolts.

Since I didn't have my perches I decided to start with the spring hanger flip.

I hit the heads off of the rivets with the grinder then used a big pry bar to break the mount loose from the frame and ground the rivets smooth because where I want to re - mount the bracket will not reuse the old holes. What used to be the bottom of the bracket will be flush with the top of the frame rail so as not to interfere and give me the drop I want.

The spring bracket is not bolted up but the height is where it should be. I think this is going to be the right drop for now.

Can't wait to see it with the sheet metal back on.

This gives a rough idea of the drop. Left side of pic is with the spring mount in the stock spot and right side is with the flip.

A shot with the p71 center caps.

That's all I was able to accomplish after work yesterday. Today is valentine's and I am married so I'm lucky to have slipped this post in. :lol: Will try again once this ice storm passes.

jantonio

Post by jantonio »

I like the color of your f100 :rock: ,how is it coming alone?
yamahaguy2007

Post by yamahaguy2007 »

Had some issues with the shop I was working in. My dad is selling the house and shop where Blue was at so I had to scramble to get my shop rearranged to fit her in. Not nearly as much room to work :cry: but I think I will have it to a point soon that I can start work again, been too long already. :cry:

Monkey-1

Post by Monkey-1 »

Any updates on this truck?
-Monkey-1
1985 F-150 Build Thread (CV Swap, 4.6, Frame-Off) https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1519 ... 4-6-a.html
1977 F-100 Flareside Build Thread (CV Swap, 4.6, Frame-Off) https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1545 ... hread.html
Studmonkeyracing.com
studmonkey@bellsouth.net