BobbyFord Short Bed

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: BobbyFord Short Bed

Post by BobbyFord »

ultraranger wrote:Very nice work, Bobby! :thup:

I guess this means you're no longer a brake tubing virgin. :D

The only thing I see that you MAY have a problem with is the large line fitting on the rear of the valve. You may have a problem running a line off it, since it looks like it's in tight confines. If you can bend a line off it, It may be difficult to get your line wrench on the fitting to be able to tighten/loosen that fitting.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd3/ ... 6f1e0d.jpg

I had a 180-degree bend coming off the rear of my brake valve and I just barely had room to get the line wrench in to tighten that fitting. --and this was without the valve bracket being located behind this fitting or with the MC sitting right on top of it.

[ Image ]

Hopefully, it won't turn into a big problem requiring modifications to the bracket or valve mounting location.
Thanks Steve. :)
No, that rear line shouldn't be a problem. I planned it like that. I wanted it to be real tight. I have a special wrench that should make it easy.
jimmy828
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jimmy828 »

That is some neat work you have on those lines. Now you got me eager to learn how to do it :fr:
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

I got the right front hard line bent and installed today. It runs behind the engine crossmember, just like the drum brake line, but I ran the left half of the line under the left engine perch and then up to the prop valve. It was tricky threading into place but I'm happy with the way it turned out. The coils were made by wrapping the line around the handle of my floor jack. The flaring tool is absolutely perfect.

I have a 12' section left that I will make the rear line from tomorrow. I'll remove the bed to make it easier.
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good day Bobby! Those lines are works of art; I love the coils especially. Sorry if you already mentioned this, yet are these stainless lines?

I can remember having a heck of a time bending and flaring #50's stainless. I'll probably choose regular lines for future projects.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

robroy wrote:Good day Bobby! Those lines are works of art; I love the coils especially. Sorry if you already mentioned this, yet are these stainless lines?

I can remember having a heck of a time bending and flaring #50's stainless. I'll probably choose regular lines for future projects.
Hi Robroy. No this is Bundy Weld tubing----> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundy_tube It is pretty easy to bend. The flaring tool that I bought makes flaring a breeze.
Anyone ever bleed a brand new complete system by yourself without a pressure bleeder? :x
I got to drive it. I definitely need to set the toe. I'm happy with it although I couldn't really drive it very far or for very long (no bed, no brake lights.)
Here's a shot of the last line midway through the install. It was fun but I'm glad its over.
ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by ultraranger »

BobbyFord wrote:
robroy wrote:Good day Bobby! Those lines are works of art; I love the coils especially. Sorry if you already mentioned this, yet are these stainless lines?

Hi Robroy. No this is Bundy Weld tubing----> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundy_tube It is pretty easy to bend. The flaring tool that I bought makes flaring a breeze.
Anyone ever bleed a brand new complete system by yourself without a pressure bleeder? :x
I got to drive it. I definitely need to set the toe. I'm happy with it although I couldn't really drive it very far or for very long (no bed, no brake lights.)
Here's a shot of the last line midway through the install. It was fun but I'm glad its over.
That's some very nice work you've done, Bobby and is something you can be proud of. :thup:

In reference to bleeding the brakes by yourself, Speed Bleeders for the calipers/drums were a VERY good invention.

http://m.advanceautoparts.com/mt/shop.a ... Mgodb28AHQ
Steve

1969 SWB F100 Ranger. 240-6, C-4, 9" N-case 31-spline Traction-Lok w/3.50 gears.

1968 Mustang. My high school car. Owned since 1982.

2003 Azure Blue Mustang Mach1.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Thanks, Steve. I'll look into those speed bleeders. I did get a friend to help yesterday but I think there may still be some air in the lines. I'm probably going to borrow my friend's pressure bleeder.
cole71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cole71 »

Awesome work! Any word on the shaker?
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

cole71 wrote:Awesome work! Any word on the shaker?
Thanks buddy.
Last word I got on the shaker was thT it will be available December 20th. But I don't believe them. They've given me about 5 different dates since April.
marz68
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by marz68 »

Nice work Bobby. What flaring tool do you have?
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

marz68 wrote:Nice work Bobby. What flaring tool do you have?
Thanks Marz. I used the KTool Int. flaring tool. It's the same one Eastwood sells----> http://www.ktoolinternational.com/PDFs/ ... manual.pdf

elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Good to see you back at it. I think you will be happy with the mods.

Steve
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

elgemcdlf wrote:Good to see you back at it. I think you will be happy with the mods.

Steve
Thanks, Steve
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cdnwillyg »

Just went thru your build very nice, I like your attention to detail....keep it up Bobby!
Nice work. :thup:
1968 Mercury M250 Camper Special
FE-390,570CFM 4bbl, C6 Automatic, PS, PB front disk.
Stony Plain, Alberta, Canada
:drive:Willy
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

cdnwillyg wrote:Just went thru your build very nice, I like your attention to detail....keep it up Bobby!
Nice work. :thup:
Thanks, bud.