BobbyFord Short Bed

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: BobbyFord Short Bed

Post by BobbyFord »

Also, acid dipping is part of the process of electroplating. Hydrochloric (muriatic) acid is used to remove rust and other impurities from the metal prior to plating. I've never heard of the acid causing the metal to become brittle.
sykanr0ng

Post by sykanr0ng »

As I understand it chrome plating can cause hydrogen to be forced into the crystalline structure of steel, which causes what is known as hydrogen embrittlement.
While not very important on trim pieces it should be considered for structural parts.

I've been told that baking the parts will drive the hydrogen out, something like 350 degrees F for an hour if I remember correctly.
... I've got skills, ingenuity and no regard for maintaining any kind of historical preservation/authenticity...
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Scott Drake Mustang parts (the manufacturer of the Mustang shaker hood scoop) is pissing me off. I have no idea which part of the scoop kit they're "retooling" that could take 7 months.
The most recent email from CJ Pony Parts (Drake vendor),
"...Hello,
Thank you for your order with CJ Pony Parts. This email is to inform you that the part you ordered, SHKR16 is currently on backorder from the manufacturer. We expect this part to ship @ 12/20..."

I have a feeling that I'm the only one getting tooled. :x
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Made some progress today.
I got the modified bracket mounted to the firewall.
Neoprene gasket on the booster will completely seal off the firewall.
Everything mounted here for a mock-up.
Rebuilt the ragjoint complete with a ground wire for the column.
I need to get my steering gear sent off to Redhead Steering Gear on Monday so that I can get my brake hard lines made up.
I got a nice new tube bender from Imperial last week. Even though this one says 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, I was told that it will bend 3/16" line also.
I got all of the powdercoated suspension components installed today. Also installed new front shocks and urethane radius arm bushings.
Next week I will get the steelie front rims painted Grabber Blue and installed with new tires.
Petewrench

Post by Petewrench »

Looks like that Tubing Bender can make some tight bends!
"WARNING! Being Hit with The "Brick Of Life", is just a hint that you are about to be run over by the "Boulder Of Being"!"
:bdh: :hn: :rant: :wf: :drive:
1967 F-100 Base Long bed. 390 4Bbl, NP435 4Spd, Manual Steering, Manual Brakes, A/C. (BlueBeast).FOR SALE-NOT!
1967 F-350 C&C, 159"WB.(Donor Truck)
1967 Mercury Cougar Standard. 5.0 HO, RUG-E 4 Speed, Factory Triple Black, Console Car.(SOLD)
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good day Bobby, I love that custom booster bracket and seal--very impressive. Thank you for the photos.

Robroy
jimmy828
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jimmy828 »

I like what i see in your build. I wish i could move right along on my truck as you are on yours. :thup:
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Petewrench wrote:Looks like that Tubing Bender can make some tight bends!
I'm gonna find out :D
robroy wrote:Good day Bobby, I love that custom booster bracket and seal--very impressive. Thank you for the photos.

Robroy
Thanks Robroy!
jimmy828 wrote:I like what i see in your build. I wish i could move right along on my truck as you are on yours. :thup:
Thanks, I started this truck a few years back. Life got in the way and I took a bit of a break but I'm getting back on it now.
Calfdemon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Calfdemon »

Love the updates and the fact that you are back into your truck full swing!! :thup: :pop:
-Rich

Current toys -
69 Ford F350 Crew Cab - 460 / C6 - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... lqgskp.jpg
31 Ford Vicky - 1955 270 Red Ram Hemi / 4 speed - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bsibvn.jpg

Former toys -
67 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible (sold 9/13) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bird-1.jpg
67 Ford Fairlane GT - 390 / 4 speed (sold 7/15) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... c5hu8z.jpg
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

These rotors came off of the boneyard donor that I got the spindles off of. Based on the thickness, they were new before the truck died. I decided to remove the rust and paint the rotor hats.
I brushed on some muriatic acid to dissolve the rust.
Before & after rust treatment. I'm using VHT ceramic primer and ceramic paint, good up to 2,000 degrees.
Masked
Painted. Headed off to my buddy's house this morning, he has an Accuturn brake lathe in his garage.
jimmy828
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jimmy828 »

Nice to have friends with the proper tools. I'm also a fan of the VHT paints. Good work :thup:
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

I'm a VHT fan too. Nice work BobbyFord. How long/often do you brush the acid on? I simply submerged mine. :eek:
~Heirloom

'68 F250 360, 4 spd Project Thread!
Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Heirloom wrote:I'm a VHT fan too. Nice work BobbyFord. How long/often do you brush the acid on? I simply submerged mine. :eek:
If I had more acid, I would've submerged but I was running low. I brush it on as needed. If it looks like it needs more to get the desired result, I brush on some more. I probably brushed it on each rotor 3 or 4 times and let it sit for a half hour or so before rinsing.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

I surfaced the rotors, installed new bearings, grease seal and caliper hose. I temporarily hooked up the old hard line to keep debris out of the caliper hose (old lines are empty and not attached to anything on the master side.)
I'm waiting on dust caps. The only ones that are available from the local parts store are Dorman and they're stamped "CHINA" right across the front (not on my truck.)
Calfdemon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Calfdemon »

Night and day difference from when we pulled those at the junkyard!! Cant wait to see your truck running again!
-Rich

Current toys -
69 Ford F350 Crew Cab - 460 / C6 - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... lqgskp.jpg
31 Ford Vicky - 1955 270 Red Ram Hemi / 4 speed - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bsibvn.jpg

Former toys -
67 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible (sold 9/13) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bird-1.jpg
67 Ford Fairlane GT - 390 / 4 speed (sold 7/15) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... c5hu8z.jpg