1967 F100 LWB Base Project "BlueBeast"

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Petewrench

1967 F100 LWB Base Project "BlueBeast"

Post by Petewrench »

So, Several Months have passed since The beast was dropped in my lap, but I've been busy getting to know her, and after driving her around town, It's time to get dirty.
The Good:
For a 47 Year old truck, it drives pretty good, No Rattles, Just basic tinkering to make all the lights work, a new Carb (Someone tried to adjust the old Motorcraft with a BFH), and new U-Joints/Center Bearing. The windows are not scratched, the interior just needs some minor touch-ups to be great, and The AC does work, though it is weak. The doors require very little effort to open, and close, as I've had to remind the Mrs. not to slam them. :pout:

The Bad: The Fuel Gauge works when it wants to, The clutch, even though it locks down, has been slipped to the point that it chatters violently when taking off. :cry: After giving it an oil Change, Thermostat, and a complete Tune Up, #3 Cyl. is along for the ride @ idle, and there's LOTS of Blow-By! the Rings aren't long for this world. It isn't Smoking out of the pipes yet, so that project can wait a little bit. :shh:

The Brakes work as well as Manual Drum Brakes are going to, Pulling the Drums revealed new shoes, and wheel Cylinders all around. I found 2 front Cyl. Kits in what's left of the glove box (which might explain why the right side of the Grille/Radiator Support has been pushed back 1"). The Front end will need to be re-bushed,so I think the Starting point of the Project will be to upgrade the Steering/Brakes/Tires.

Now to Start Obtaining Goodies to stick on her! :woohoo:
Pete
"WARNING! Being Hit with The "Brick Of Life", is just a hint that you are about to be run over by the "Boulder Of Being"!"
:bdh: :hn: :rant: :wf: :drive:
1967 F-100 Base Long bed. 390 4Bbl, NP435 4Spd, Manual Steering, Manual Brakes, A/C. (BlueBeast).FOR SALE-NOT!
1967 F-350 C&C, 159"WB.(Donor Truck)
1967 Mercury Cougar Standard. 5.0 HO, RUG-E 4 Speed, Factory Triple Black, Console Car.(SOLD)
Petewrench

Re: 1967 F100 LWB Base Project "BlueBeast"

Post by Petewrench »

I Bought a pair of tires for the front Friday(The RF maypop did), but didn't really have a clue as to what I wanted to do for rims, so I Figured I'd see what the Stockers Might look like;

The Start

Stripped, And Primed,

Wimbledon White Vs. Plain Old white:

P225/70R15 Tires for the Front, 2nd Rim Ready to Prime/Paint

Me Thinks it looks good!

Now for the dilemma; I'm torn between 8" Rims, or 10" Rims for the rear. as the project progresses, I plan to build a 428 to put in it, so I'm gonna need more tire out back :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

But the stock style wheel is a Go! :thup:

"WARNING! Being Hit with The "Brick Of Life", is just a hint that you are about to be run over by the "Boulder Of Being"!"
1967 F-100 Base Long bed. 390 4Bbl, NP435 4Spd, Manual Steering, Manual Brakes, A/C. (BlueBeast).FOR SALE-NOT!
1967 Mercury Cougar Standard. 5.0 HO, RUG-E 4 Speed, Factory Triple Black, Console Car.(SOLD)
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

That looks nice! :thup:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
Petewrench

Post by Petewrench »

With round Rollers on it now, I decided to take a little trip to see what kind of stamina the ol' girl has, a trip to Society Hill (15 Miles), Proved to be too much for her. This was the Oil Pressure Reading @ 60 MPH Halfway Back!

Looks like the project will REALLY be a Project!!!!! So, I Guess It's time to just do the whole thing, and get it over with!
More Soon,
Pete
Last edited by Petewrench on Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petewrench

Post by Petewrench »

I've been looking into specialty wheels for the rear, and have been mulling around between 8" & 10" rims. The thought then hit me to cut the centers out of a pair of 8" GM Pickup Rally wheels, and weld ford centers into them, however the wheel centers for ford are 12-5/8" VS Gm's 13-1/4" Center. the answer: Speedway Automotive sells wheel Hoops with a 12-5/8" Center Diameter. :hd: in order to set the truck over 295/50-15's, I would have to set the wheel back to a 5" back space, which looks like it will require cutting the fender tubs. - Not Gonna Happen! Sooooo....., Looks like 8"! $110, Including shipping. should be here by Thursday, Can't wait till they get Here!!!!! (At Least it'll look good as a Yard Ornament!)

she seems ok driving around town, so until I find me a donor T-bird for the 428, the 352 should be ok.
red_67f100

Post by red_67f100 »

Awesome truck u got there.... When I bought mine, the PO had put on some 20" wheels that were wider and he just cut out the dimples on the rear fenders to avoid rubbing issues. So I hated having and ugly hole in the fender...so I made some mini fenders out of scratch and welded them on and painted the whole bed. Here's a pic...
red_67f100

Post by red_67f100 »

Petewrench

Post by Petewrench »

Nice Fab Job, and thanks for the compliment! BobbyFord posted an Awesome thread on his Tub-Job Here:http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... p?p=549267.
Because I want to use the truck as a "Go to Lowe's" truck, and, for some reason keep it close to original, :loco: the 8" Rim wins out IMO.
red_67f100

Post by red_67f100 »

yup BobbyFord did a heck of a job on those tubs. that width is just perfect for some wide drag tires.
red_67f100

Post by red_67f100 »

By the way, was the paint used on the wheels from a spray can or sprayed with a paint gun, they turned out really great. gotta love that clean classic look.
Petewrench

Post by Petewrench »

Because I wasn't sure if I was even going to use the wheels, I threw a Rattle can at them, and I agree, they came out awesome!
The Paint was Dupli-Color Automotive touch-up Paint, Wimbledon White.
Petewrench

Beauty in the "BlueBeast"

Post by Petewrench »

Spent today scrubbing the interior, and found the seat cover is Blue, - Not green! :lol: got it all rinsed out with the garden hose(Try THAT with Carpet!), Cleaned the door jambs, and the doors.
I ran out of daylight, so I'll post pics tomorrow.
Pete
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

Petewrench wrote:I've been looking into specialty wheels for the rear, and have been mulling around between 8" & 10" rims. The thought then hit me to cut the centers out of a pair of 8" GM Pickup Rally wheels, and weld ford centers into them, however the wheel centers for ford are 12-5/8" VS Gm's 13-1/4" Center. the answer: Speedway Automotive sells wheel Hoops with a 12-5/8" Center Diameter. :hd: in order to set the truck over 295/50-15's, I would have to set the wheel back to a 5" back space, which looks like it will require cutting the fender tubs. - Not Gonna Happen! Sooooo....., Looks like 8"! $110, Including shipping. should be here by Thursday, Can't wait till they get Here!!!!! (At Least it'll look good as a Yard Ornament!)

she seems ok driving around town, so until I find me a donor T-bird for the 428, the 352 should be ok.

Shouldda just ordered Series 62 wheels by Wheel Vintiques from Summit Racing. $83 each for 15x8s.
Petewrench

Post by Petewrench »

HIO Silver wrote: Shouldda just ordered Series 62 wheels by Wheel Vintiques from Summit Racing. $83 each for 15x8s.
Problem is, Wv wheels may, or, may not have the correct Ford Center Stampings, and where I am intending not to use any wheel covers, they Have to match! Besides, what fun is a Hot-Rod, If it's all bolt-on????? :D
Petewrench

Re: Beauty in the "BlueBeast"

Post by Petewrench »

As promised, clean pictures. I don't believe this truck has been cleaned in years, as I had to scrub the seat and floor-mat with full-strength "Purple-Power"! However, I am really impressed with the end result!

Before:

After:

And the rest of the Truck:

It looks good for now. too bad I gotta tear it apart soon!

:love: :love: :love: