Dad's new 72

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

SSW

Re: Dad's new 72

Post by SSW »

Started putting the cluster back together with the voltmeter, I painted the faded needles. The Temp gauge fell apart on me. Found one on ebay $23. Installed some small indicator LED's to indicate for: check engine, OD on, bed lights on, rear LED's on. I did not want to drill the dash so in the face of the cluster they went. I think they look decent. Also got a gas tank from 88 extended ranger. It is a new tank, but the crossmember, gusset and straps came from the wrecking yard. A little smaller than I wanted at 17 gallons, but with the HUGE E4OD trans it was a good compromise. I can add a rear tank later, but don't want to give the the spare either. Hopefully with the FI the mileage will be a little better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
motzingg
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by motzingg »

oh wow, that is a really nice fitment.
motzingg
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by motzingg »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Gas-Tank-/ ... 9e&vxp=mtr

hmm would this be the same tank? looks different. the one linked is a great price and looks like it might tuck up further under the cab for more capacity.
SSW

Post by SSW »

From what I found that tank is the same size at 17 gallon the only difference I can see is the sending unit/fuel pump & vent locations. The truck at the wrecking yard that I got the crossmember & straps had that tank with holes ofcourse. I think mine is for an extended cab and that is a regular cab. This is the one I bought. http://www.ebay.com/itm/17-Gallon-Gas-F ... 79&vxp=mtr.
SSW

Post by SSW »

Some of my Nephews and brother in law came and helped today. Got the rear window in, cut the old fuse block out and started installing the new Painless 30003 fuse block from Jegs. It came with a novel but no wiring diagram. Took it apart and made my own for it. I like diagrams, plus i want to make an asbuilt wiring diagram for future refrence. Also added some illumantion LED's from Watsons-Streetworks behind the seat & in the bottom of the AC Vents to better illuminate the cab. Also put the seals on the inner fenders.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
moonhanger007

Post by moonhanger007 »

Great "Restomod" love the details. :pop:
SSW

Post by SSW »

Picked up the bed yesterday :)
SSW

Post by SSW »

Got the throttle linkage working with the original through firewall pedal & the 91 EFI. Used a 36" Lokar braided cable (cut to fit) & made a couple brackets. Also got more of the wiring done. It is a lot of work. Especially in 2 hour increments here and there. Also got the shift linkage working. Used the original rebuilt AT column and the 91 linkage & cut it down & welded it to fit. Rolling through the gears is pretty accurate. I am pleasantly surprised, the C4 pattern is not that different from the E4OD. P-R-D(OD) are spot on, 2nd is a hair off, 1st little more. I can live with that. How often do you get down there any way.
SSW

Post by SSW »

Still Wiring having a hard time find a clean way of getting the FI harness & Electronic OD trans harness through the firewall & into the cab. this is where I am leaning towards.
Craigerf100
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Craigerf100 »

Great build. I take it your dad knows about the truck? Have u thought about front and rear sway bars. Will make it much safer for your pop ;)
1964 F-100 Custom Cab Short Bed
1968 F-100 Short Bed
1967 Fairlane 500 Convertable
1967 Fairlane GT/A 289ci SOLD
1950 F-1 Original 239ci Flat Head V8 SOLD
1995 f-150 4x4 Swb 4.9L 5-speed FORSALE

My Build: :fr: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... &sk=t&sd=a
SSW

Post by SSW »

He does not know about it. Hopefully I can get it done before he figures it out. I have not thought about the sway bars. Have not seen them added to the twin I beam. Any info would be appreciated.
SSW

Post by SSW »

Got the Fuse block, relays and Overdrive switch all wired up. Look to the left of the fuse block to see the Relays & OD Switch. Made a bracket off the Parking brake to hold the relays. Also trimmed the Parking braking front mount a little to make sure I would have space for the AC vent between the OD switch & the Column.
SSW

Post by SSW »

Got the EEC mounted and the engine harness into the cab.
1.jpg
2.jpg
All the dash wiring connected to the EEC. Stereo ( Retrosound model two) wiring complete. Trailer brake controller mounted & wired. Still need to get the E40D harness into the cab & connected to the EEC. Also got the right AC vent installed to see how it will work out.
3.jpg
SSW

Post by SSW »

Got the windshield installed
1.jpg
Put the visors in you can see the mic for the Bluetooth handfree calling.
2.jpg
Got the pigtail wired up for the Fuel Injection fuel pump/gauge sending unit.
3.jpg
AZf100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by AZf100 »

Looking good, That is some very nice work.
"I ain't as good as I once was But I'm as good once as I ever was"
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r73 ... 6e738a.jpg
1971 F100 SWB 302 2WD (Work In Progress)
2010 F250 4X4 6.4 Power Stroke / lariat Black