Hackster's 1968 f100 CV Swap

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Hackster's 1968 f100 CV Swap

Post by hackster »

Sorry no on the part number on the QA1 setup. I would have to tear it all off the truck, pull the springs off and do the collapsed and extended heights to get that and I really do not want to do that right now. If i tear into the frontend again I will take some measurements for you. He builds some killer stuff though, not sure why you would not just go through him. He has it all figured out to use the right springs, top cup and machined spacers for the bottom. Its a bolt in deal. he will even swap out spring rates for different weight frontends and get the ride height dialed in. I dont mind paying for great stuff if its what someone says it is. If I pay a bunch of money and it does not work, or fit or the finish is bad, I get pissed.

Anyways, gettting the truck ready for the Portland Roadster show coming up in just a few short weeks. I spent a good portion of the last weekend with the truck up on the lift just cleaning and detailing the underside of it. Looks like I have all the leaks fixed. Cleaned up a few electrical connections with some zip ties and just general tidying up. Things still look good under there.

Also got the sway bar all painted and the front suspension cleaned up. It actually cleans up nicely. Here are a few underbelly shots of the old girl.

Its not spotless but its pretty damn clean under there for an old truck.....my hands were damn tired.

Then on Monday, my new brake setup showed up. Here is the stock Crown Vic setup on still...

New front setup from Todd at TCE Brakes. Amazing stuff from him and I would recommend him in a heartbeat. Wilwood AERO 6 black caliper, stainless lines, cross drilled and vented two piece 14" 1.25" rotor with aluminum hat......turns out I had room for the 15" rotors. Should have just committed to them earlier.

This is just mocked up on there. Still need to plumb and deal with the raw rotor finish. Hope to have this all buttoned up Saturday.

Sean
SATURN5

Post by SATURN5 »

I understand. As to why, it's just the way I am. I'm sure he builds quality stuff, but I am one of those that likes to build stuff like that from scratch. AFAIK, I'm the only one running Cobra rotors and calipers on a CV spindle... lol I'll get it figured out. Truck looks killer. Mine is I'm guessing another year from being on the road. As always with these builds, it's as time and money allows. :thup:
Bob
68 F100 Flareside, CVIFS, Cobra IRS, DOHC, M122, MS3, T45, 4.10, Cobra brakes
84 Mustang SVO, B234F, HE351, Full Cobra spec suspension and brakes including IRS, T-tops
96 Mark VIII, Complete chassis bracing, 03 Cobra wheels, Maruader converter, built trans.
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Well the show rapidly approaches.

Front brakes went very well......I have no idea if they stop or not yet though.

Todd at TCE is the man. Everything bolted together very nicely and had no issues at all. Pedal feel is excellent so far.

Some goodness in this photo...

Went through and fixed a few things that were bugging me under the hood a few bolts that needed swapped and cleaned up the rest of the stock paint inside the truck.

Built some stantions to go around the truck and picked up soem carpet from a friend of a friend.

Truck gets loaded up in the trailer tonight and goes to the show on Thursday.

Hope all goes well and looking forward to a fun weekend.

Sean
MHERSHY

Post by MHERSHY »

I am looking forward to seeing your truck at the show. The work you have done has inspired me on plans for my own truck!
1967 F100 4x2 unknown (at this time) FE V8 manual trans. Long bed for now. Future plans for a cv swap and axle flip and swb swap.
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

MHERSHY wrote:I am looking forward to seeing your truck at the show. The work you have done has inspired me on plans for my own truck!
Glad to see a local on the forum!!!

Truck made it down to the show in one piece. I have kind of a ***** spot right behind the Rat Fink booth, kind of tucked away at the end of an aisle but oh well, truck is still down there.

Display turned out pretty good, very low key which is what I like. Its as clean as its ever going to be :drive:

Swing by and check it out if you make it down there and give me some feedback.

Came a long way in the last couple years.

Sean
redmcode

Post by redmcode »

looks great :fr:
guerra
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by guerra »

Looks Good :thup:
1967 f-100 lwb 360/c6
1969 f-100 swb 351/c6 (project)
SeapineF37

Post by SeapineF37 »

wow sean. read your entire thread and then back through some sections. rad work. keep staring at that ultra-clean engine bay on page seven and can't even comprehend. where exactly did you tuck the harness up to the grill? so many quality details. hoping to get mine half that tidy someday...
1972 F350 seapine green cab/chassis drw
only one who has learned much can fully appreciate his own ignorance. louis l'amour
jbat00

Post by jbat00 »

Truck looks great. do you have any steering issues with the current ride height? do you know what the rim offset is? I'm trying to set the ride height on mine but with the current rims I have i don't think I will have enough clearance.

Thanks in advance
MHERSHY

Post by MHERSHY »

Just got home from the Portland Roadster Show. Saw hackster's truck there. It is as nice in person as the pics on here. Great job on your truck. Got me inspired to work on my junk!
1967 F100 4x2 unknown (at this time) FE V8 manual trans. Long bed for now. Future plans for a cv swap and axle flip and swb swap.
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

SeapineF37 wrote:wow sean. read your entire thread and then back through some sections. rad work. keep staring at that ultra-clean engine bay on page seven and can't even comprehend. where exactly did you tuck the harness up to the grill? so many quality details. hoping to get mine half that tidy someday...
Thank you. The wire harness runs out of the cab under the inner fender (there is a plug there so I did not even have to drill any holes) There are metal P clips under the fender on the outer/inner fender bolts that hold the harness up for the lights, horn and electric fan. I just drilled small holes behind the headlights and poked wires out for the lights themselves. You really cannot see any wiring in the engine bay at all just like I like it.

The best that I did was move the battery to the back, get rid of the starter solenoid, and delete the wiring in the engine bay.

Truck looks great. do you have any steering issues with the current ride height? do you know what the rim offset is? I'm trying to set the ride height on mine but with the current rims I have i don't think I will have enough clearance.

Zero issues with the steering at ride height as of this time.....the sway bar helped immensely with the tires not rubbing the fenders going into a driveway or anything. I want the frontend to go down another 1/2" though.

I am honestly contemplating building a set of front fenders for the truck, Opening up the opening like 1" and putting a little buldge on the fender opening to get more room for the tire, with the way the fender is laid out it would be super easy to do.

Post by MHERSHY » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:21 pm

Just got home from the Portland Roadster Show. Saw hackster's truck there. It is as nice in person as the pics on here. Great job on your truck. Got me inspired to work on my junk!

Thank you very much!! If you need any help or info, you know where to find me.

Sean
jbat00

Post by jbat00 »

You still get full range of steering? Mine is no where near as low and looks like it will rub the fenders if I lower it to where the fender is even with the top of the tire. I have to check the offset on my rims, I may not be able to use them.

thanks
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

Still thinking through wheels, what is the widest wheel you can run in the front in an 18 or 20 and what is the best back spacing?

Barry
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

jbat00 wrote:You still get full range of steering? Mine is no where near as low and looks like it will rub the fenders if I lower it to where the fender is even with the top of the tire. I have to check the offset on my rims, I may not be able to use them.

thanks
Yes still full range of steering, I am not going to be hitting driveways full speed at full lock or anything, it takes a bit of driver awareness but its good enough for normal spirited drives.

I bet your tires are pretty close to the edge of the fender. If I ordered wheels again, I will order them with more offset pushing them in closer to the spindle.

Still thinking through wheels, what is the widest wheel you can run in the front in an 18 or 20 and what is the best back spacing?

Barry

Hi Barry,

I am pretty confident you could run a 10" wide wheel on the front with no issues with the right backspacing. I am really considering a set of track wheels and tires for the truck and will probably do 9" up front and 10.5" out back with sticky 275's up front and 315's on the back. I might even try a set of 10's up front with 295's on them just to see if they will fit. Its going to be all about the right backspacing though, there is a ton of room in the fender for wheels and tires just gotta get them in the right spot.

Sean
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

Thanks for the info Sean. I was hoping to squeeze in a 9". I guess the only issue is custom offset means more cash. Oh well got to pay to play and I intend on playing some in this truck.

Love your truck!

Barry