Finally starting my 1971 f100

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Finally starting my 1971 f100

Post by sargentrs »

She looks great!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
couldnt stay old

Post by couldnt stay old »

Do you have any pictures of your truck complete with all the trimming?
sscheffner

Post by sscheffner »

I dont have any trim right now. I kind of ran out of money for the time being and the trim is very expensive. I am also trying to find a tailgate in good shape.

I will try to get some more pictures uploaded. I am having a few issues right now. I have a small oil leak somewhere and a little water out of the water pump.

Also, we had the leaf springs redone but it seems like they are WAY too high and stiff and the truck bounces like a $#@$%. The guy tells me to put some weight in it and they will come down, but I have my doubts. Any input on this would be appreciated.
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

He's right, some weight will tame the ride, and give you more traction. I would try sand bags or concrete bags all the way in back. Once you have a happy weight, you can figure out what to do about a permanent solution. My uncle and I are considering plating the floor of his short bed with 1/4" steel. Both for the ride/traction as well as avoiding having to re-plank it (his is a wood floor). It would also affect your rear ride height some.

Truck looks great :thup: I'm not a big green fan, but I like it. Nice choice.
~Heirloom

'68 F250 360, 4 spd Project Thread!
Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln
sscheffner

Post by sscheffner »

Well, I ended up really not liking how much the back end was up in the air and how stiff it was. We are taking the springs back in to get toned down.

Right now I am on the hunt for a tailgate. I may get stuck ordering one from LMC truck at 500 bucks. All the ones I've ever found at the junkyards are beyond repair. =(.

also, once the weather gets better, I've gotta figure out some stuff with my dash console, sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.

New list of things to do when the money comes in. Suggestions in the meantime would be helpful.

1. Carpet/firewall padding. Right now its just bare metal. Firewall padding ive read some folks have got from ebay with some luck, so Ive been looking there. Also, theres some carpets that seem like you buy them precut and install. Seems like some folks have had issues with fits though. Might take mine down to the local upholstery shop and see what I can do.

2. Dashboard is very intermittent. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. Also, my gas gauge never goes above half and just sits around there until im about out of gas. Dont know if this is the instrument cluster or gas tank.

3. tailgate. Do i go original or aftermarket. Most of the aftermarket looks just like random bars. not sure I really like that.

4. Need a new steering wheel. I really wanted to keep my dads, kinda hands in the same spot type of deal, but it wont mount since we switched out the entire column to add power steering.

5. Cooling. I dont mind not having ac, but taking the family camping next summer might be tough on them.

6. Seat belt. I need to add a third seat belt in the middle. Can I just add on the existing mounts, or just buy a bigger mount and put three seathbelts on them?

:help:
SSW

Post by SSW »

My guess on your Dashboard is either the CV regulator on the back of the cluster or the connection from the harness to the ribbon. If the plastic is bad/crumbly the connection will be bad as well. http://www.fordification.com/tech/wirin ... master.jpg
wiring-diagram-70_mastercrop.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sscheffner

Post by sscheffner »

heres a pic now with the new tires and rims, also i have the springs pulled down a bit. they were too high and too tight.

sscheffner

Post by sscheffner »

has anyone used http://class-tech-cars.com/?

im looking at getting some firewall trim from them.
Trampus

Post by Trampus »

Your trucks looking real clean sir. I have an extra tailgate if your ever in southern az.
sscheffner

Post by sscheffner »

if only i ever went down that way.

I went ahead and ordered a firewall pad from that company. ill put up some pics when I get in a week or so
Bvh56

Post by Bvh56 »

sscheffner wrote:if only i ever went down that way.

I went ahead and ordered a firewall pad from that company. ill put up some pics when I get in a week or so
Hey did you ever get your firewall pad? I'm looking at ordering one in the next day or so.
sscheffner

Post by sscheffner »

i did. have not got it installed yet. having brake problems atm, so we are working on that.

its not..... spectaculaor to say the least, but for 65 bucks it is what it is i guess.

I will get you some picture monday, i have it at work.
Bvh56

Post by Bvh56 »

Ok cool. I was going to order one this week. I have nothing there now. Would you say it's not great because it's not thick? or not that good looking?
sscheffner

Post by sscheffner »

id say its not great because it seems cheap all around. Of course it was only like 65 bucks so I wasnt expecting the moon, but it showed up in a small fedex box and was all scratched to hell just from the box and rubbing.

Heres the packaging, I mean how good can it be that it fits in a box that small.

Here is the insulation, its about 1 inch thick.

Upclose, you can kind of see the stitching and the scratching all over. I know its pretty hidden, but how hard would it have been to insulate it from the box. The rubber is kind of weird and feels cheap.

Full picture. Gives you the idea of what you are looking at when you get it.

That being said, would I buy again? Probably not. I would probably save for something proper. Also, I have not installed it yet to check for fitting, but im told its original tooling, so it should be plug and play.
Bvh56

Post by Bvh56 »

Cool thanks for the pictures and write up. I think I might make up my own with carpet and jute padding.