1970 crewcab shortbed 2wd

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

spacelong

1970 crewcab shortbed 2wd

Post by spacelong »

Here is the crew as I bought it:
Finally got her home, drove 30mph scared something might fall off this rattle trap.
I decided to start a frame off restoration, my first one actually,I could use everyones advice!
You can see my little assistant in this pic!
Then started the heavy lifting:
Did you notice the new rims and tires?
last but not least a little sand blast before and after/ more pics to come in a few days.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 1970 crewcab shortbed 2wd

Post by basketcase0302 »

drove 30mph scared something might fall off this rattle trap.
Believe we got our trucks from the same PO LOL! :lol:
That little helper there will be a grown man and married before you know it. :wink:
Very nice start to a frame off resto. :thup:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
couchcuts

Post by couchcuts »

looks like a great start, it should be fun to go from the frame up....

what a cool combo, 1970 crewcab shortbed 2wd

looking forward to follow your progress.

I have a little assistant about that size when I work on my truck as well.... :)
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=64227

1970 F100 Custom Wimbleton White 240 c6 shortbed
69FLATBED
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 69FLATBED »

That's a nice looking truck, It looks like your cab is in good shape, I wish mine was that clean! Good luck and keep us posted. I am blasting my frame like you are then usung Eastwood's rust converter then a coat of POR15. How many people did it take to lift off your cab? I'm to the point of pulling mine in a couple days.
Troy
Love my diesels hope to be gasoline free soon!
spacelong

Post by spacelong »

It took 4 guys to lift the Cab, one on each corner(could have used more). I made a Turkey dinner and invited as many as I could, then told them the bad news about the REAL REASON they were here. Ha Ha. I just got done degreasing the frame, then etching with metal prep, then POR 15. Pics to come tommorow, Im too tired now. Oh and I just picked up my rear leaf bushings from Energy Suspension, Boooya!
spacelong

Post by spacelong »

69FLATBED wrote: I am blasting my frame like you are then usung Eastwood's rust converter then a coat of POR 15.
Be careful of using a rust converter prior to the POR 15, The instructions say the bonding of POR 15 is less effective if there is a rust converter in place. Im no expert, but I remember reading that on the back of POR15 can.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Great start! Keep the momentum going. You and I are heading in the same direction. It's my first frame off, too, and I'm enjoying every step of it.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
69FLATBED
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 69FLATBED »

spacelong wrote:
69FLATBED wrote: I am blasting my frame like you are then usung Eastwood's rust converter then a coat of POR 15.
Be careful of using a rust converter prior to the POR 15, The instructions say the bonding of POR 15 is less effective if there is a rust converter in place. Im no expert, but I remember reading that on the back of POR15 can.
I guess I missed that part I was going by Eastwoods recomendations, but wanted to use POR instead of their Rust Encapsulater... I'll check into that!
Troy
Love my diesels hope to be gasoline free soon!
spacelong

Post by spacelong »

OK 40 YEARS OF MUD AND GREASE BUILD-UP. I ENDED UP HAND SCRAPING THE GUNK OFF, SO I COULD SWEEP UP THE MESS.
WOW MY HAND HURTS!
FINISHED DEGREASING WITH HARBOR FREIGHT CONCENTRATE DEGREASER & 3000PSI PRESSURWE WASHER, THEN ETCHED THE FRAME WITH METAL PREP, AND THEN PAINTED ON THE POR15 WITH A BRUSH. IM VERY HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS. I LEFT THE CAB MOUNTS ALONE, UNTIL MY NEW ONES GET HERE.
TIME FOR SOME SUSPENSION WORK
CUT OUT THE OUTER WALL BUSHING
PREPPED AND AWAITING POR 15
spacelong

Post by spacelong »

finished one leaf mock up, still have to cut off some length from the new hardware. I love my red Energy Suspension bushings.
dolinick
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by dolinick »

I will be bringing my '70 Crew Short bed home soon too! Your project is looking great! It is inspiring me to do something great with my truck! :thup:
2003 7.3L F250
1968 F500 Utility Truck
spacelong

Post by spacelong »

Ok its been a while, got my rear diff on my work bench, drained and refilled with new gasket. Also painted with por 15 and moved to the drums. So far the rear brakes have been ok to work with until finding out I need new drums. Are there any good threads on removing the hubs from the old drums? Thanks in advance.Image
spacelong

Post by spacelong »

ok....Its been a while. Ive got to upload some more pics! :D I used por 15 on the bottom of the cab and now just awaiting a top coat of something, haven't figured that out yet. Any recommendations?

I have also been stripping the paint with a da sander on the top of the cab while she sits vertical. I think I've counted 5 layers of paint :cry: Check out the close up of how bad the paint is.

Meanhile I have also been working on the front suspension.
And as you can see... New Cab Mounts :hd:
Finally, a rolling chassis again :hd:
zakt
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by zakt »

looking good :thup:
1972 Ford F350 crewcab
tylerb43
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tylerb43 »

Wow! Truck looks great! Awesome progress so far, keep it going. Sooo jealous of solid metal to start with. For my next bump project, I'm going to drive to Arizona and get a good one! :lol:

On topcoating the underside of the cab, I used Summit's Chassis Black in 2 heavy coats. It covers great, but takes a awhile to harden up.

More pics please! :thup: