Chronicles of the Blue Goose!

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

SoCalExile
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Chronicles of the Blue Goose!

Post by SoCalExile »

This is my 1971 Sport Custom I bought from a ferrier here in NC. Don't ask why it's called the Blue Goose, just what the previous owner calls it and well, it's stuck with it.

It has a 400/C6 combo, which a PO swapped out the original 240/3-speed for. the casting code on the block is D1AE-A1C

The hood ornament is from a '55 Olds Rocket 88.

It has power steering that seems to be a complete swap - the code on the box is D1TR-3550-AB.

Looking to get the Goose running well enough to be a daily driver. So far it needs:

-Overhaul on the brakes
-New shocks
-Gaskets replaced
-Hoses replaced
-Wiring is pretty rough
-Couple rust spots.
-New wheels/tires
-and various odds and ends.
Last edited by SoCalExile on Fri May 21, 2010 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
MAK
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: The Blue Goose!

Post by MAK »

That's hillarious :lol: Same color as my 72 which used to belong to my grandfather. He also used to call it the Blue Goose over 30 years ago when I was a kid and we were off on our fishing trips.
:thup:
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

i ike the hood emblem on the rear quarter. it actualy don't look bad.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
SoCalExile
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by SoCalExile »

Pulled the Goose out of the garage while the wife and kids were away and put a timing light on her. Looks like it was about 15-20º advanced, so I backed it off to about 8º. She runs better, but still wants to stall a bit when revved.

A family friend gave me an old Penske Dwell Tachometer (he said it's from the 80's). Hadn't had the chance to try it out as my battery died and I had to wait 'till the wife came home to jump it.

I've also noticed another problem that I hoped would get better after running it: blue smoke out the exhaust along with some dripping oil. :(

I hope it's just the head gasket.
Last edited by SoCalExile on Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SoCalExile
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by SoCalExile »

rjewkes wrote:i ike the hood emblem on the rear quarter. it actualy don't look bad.
All the same, when I get around to working on the body I'll be taking those off. I'm still debating to take the bottom trim off or to put the bump trim back on. :hmm:
killakobra
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by killakobra »

SoCalExile wrote:
rjewkes wrote:i ike the hood emblem on the rear quarter. it actualy don't look bad.
All the same, when I get around to working on the body I'll be taking those off. I'm still debating to take the bottom trim off or to put the bump trim back on. :hmm:
if i were to have chrome i would leave it like it is. i never cared for the belt line trim
1967 f100 stepside 300ci I6
1969 f100/600 stepside retro truck -under construction-
1972 longbed trailer
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

lol
The hood emblem on the bed, blue steering wheel, pedals and heater, and the hi lift jack where the stock jack used to be... using the stock jack mounting strap
Good stuff :D
-Ryan
SoCalExile
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by SoCalExile »

Did some work on the Goose this weekend.

I put in a new master cylinder and bled the brakes again. It feels a little better but there's still some sponginess. The old master was full of dirt and crap, and the brake fluid was black. :eek:

Drove it around the neighborhood too, once it warmed up the smoke and water went away - although the truck still sputtered and popped when I put my foot in it. I picked up a vacuum tester and did a running test. It idles at somewhat steady 19 psi and dips to 12-13 when I give it gas before going to 22 or so until I let off. Strangely the truck seems to rev better when I'm working the throttle body than it does when I'm working the gas pedal. :hmm:
lol
The hood emblem on the bed, blue steering wheel, pedals and heater, and the hi lift jack where the stock jack used to be... using the stock jack mounting strap
Good stuff :D
Don't forget the shortbed rails! :lol:

I dunno what PO expected to do get the jack out. I had to unbolt the back strap and in the process broke it. Turns out one side was cross-threaded. :(
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

might have a broken pedal mount inside the truck.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

Someone went crazy with the blue paint. :D
SoCalExile
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by SoCalExile »

Well after 2 months in Haiti I came back and started work on the Goose. I finished up the wheel hubs and got the front drums turned.

Also, learned that a PO installed a GM alternator in my truck:
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =8&t=48806

Also bought a compressor and set-up to blast my own wheels:

I rattle-canned them black, which didn't turn out perfect, but hell, I plan to replace them with aluminum/chrome wheels anyway. Taking a chance on putting them on with chrome/stainless lug nuts and leaving the new grease caps unpainted. If it sucks, then I'll pop dog dishes on them.
hazelnut
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by hazelnut »

i think the rims are going to make the truck look better.you could always put a trim ring on them with some original hub caps. that would look good to. If you have some black left over you could paint over the POs overspray. The paint job looks like is in good shape.
SoCalExile
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by SoCalExile »

Well, my wife took the painted rims to get tires put on...she took the liberty of telling the guy there to put them on the rim backwards. The lettering was "too much blue" in her opinion. :doh:

:eek: Too much blue for the Blue Goose?! Never! :lolprev:

Anyways, this is what it looks like ATM (ignore the blue spot for now):

:hmm:

Not so much. Methinks I'll go with dog dishes - did they make beauty rings for these rims? :?
hazelnut
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by hazelnut »

I know they make 16" beauty rings but i dont know if theres 16.5 out there. Im sure that youll find some at the auto fair if your looking.
SoCalExile
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by SoCalExile »

Finally got the wheels on! :woohoo: Also changed the shocks, which dropped the truck down about 2-3"!

Before:

After:

The old shocks:

While changing the shocks I accidentally tore off a dry-rotted hose that was running from a connection point that my brake lines shared:

It was just a empty hose running up through the frame rails towards the back of the truck. Wasn't connected to anything. What is it for?

I also rebuilt the carb today. Now the damn thing won't start again. :cry: it looks pretty rough, so I may see if I can score a better one at the Charlotte Auto Fair next weekend.

Next on the agenda is the transmission. I think it bled out a couple quarts while I was in Haiti. I'll probably drop it out and take it to a shop though.