06 Crown Vic Rear End

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

wrongway

06 Crown Vic Rear End

Post by wrongway »

For those very few people that have actually used the later year CV rear end, any problems finding wheels or anything I should be aware of before I install it in my 68? It has a 2.78 ration I believe, and I think that would be just about perfect for my 302 and C4 combination. I also have a 74 Continental disc brake rear end that I'm also contemplating using. Either way, I plan on using a tri angulated 4 link. Any help or thoughts would really be appreciated.
68 Ford F-100, two wheel drive short bed. 46k original miles, was a 240 six cylinder 3 on the tree. Changed to a 347 stroker with a C6, 03 Crown Vic front end, lunar green. Torn completely apart for a frame off fun daily driver project.
hvb68

Re: 06 Crown Vic Rear End

Post by hvb68 »

Last week I just about bought the rearend from the 06 cop car I got my front end from but backed out after measuring it. I had read several times how it was too wide but had a hard time believing that could be the case, but when I measured it I found that it might be. I am currently running the rims off my 08 Mustang which are a 8.5" +50 offset rim. With the measurements I took the 06 rearend would leave me with about 1/2 inch gap to the fender lip. I plan on purchasing some chrome 18's or 20's and I think It would be difficult to find ones with that high of an offset that I want to install.

My measurements could be a little off but in my opinion it was too wide for what I could easily find. it seems that either the front assembly from the CV is narrower than the rearend or there is more room between the front fenders on these trucks than the back.

If you do install it I would be really interested to see what rims you are running and what the real world clearance you have to the outer fenders. If I wanted to stick with my factory Mustang rims then it would be ok but it's not the direction I want to go with it.
wrongway

Post by wrongway »

I think I'm going to put this rearend on Craigslist and see if I can sell it. There just isnt enough info around to see if it will work for me. I think I may try an Explorer or Expedition rear and work at it from that angle. I only have enough money to do it once, and I'm guessing noone has used a CV rear in their build with good results. I'm looking for that slightly lower than stock stance and I want to fill the rear wheel wells Pro Stock style :D . Thanks
68 Ford F-100, two wheel drive short bed. 46k original miles, was a 240 six cylinder 3 on the tree. Changed to a 347 stroker with a C6, 03 Crown Vic front end, lunar green. Torn completely apart for a frame off fun daily driver project.
The Big Bear

Post by The Big Bear »

Check out my Project 67 Crew cab Grand Marquis Cv swap---I put the rear end under mine same as a Crown Vic and followed everything you are talking about---got endless advice about it from the site---followed some links---read them and basically the bottom line is ----no right or wrong just your choice.

I am tight on money---found a **** load of rust and wanted to fix it right and wanted cheap Discs all the way around and had it with the rest of the vehicle. I changed the offset with the cheap wheels I got and everything fits UNDER THE FENDERS so who gives a **** about a 1/2 inch if you can adjust the BACKSPACING on wheels and the selection on wheels is endless as well as backspacing.

If your poor or on a budget, keep it and throw it under there, if not give it way on Craigs list and then buy something else a 1/2 shorter?

I posted some photos of the mock up and fabrication and the bed box on it. It all fits
Be grateful for every day :fr:
wrongway

Post by wrongway »

I really want to use the CV rear end. It just seems logical that the wheel would have to be offset to the inside a ton to get it to stay in the given wheel wells. I plan on putting a triangulated 4 link on it at the time of install. I just haven't found the right build thread to give me any ideas yet. I'll look at yours and see if it will motivate me to just go ahead and do it. What scared me a bit the other day when I put a tape measure on it I saw that it is 70" wide axle flange to axle flange. My bed is being acid dipped and I'm hoping to get it back soon and I'll do some more measuring. Thanks for your reply