68 crew cab project

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: 68 F600 crew cab project

Post by tybob81 »

Frame is back from sandblaster, old suspension is cut out, CV swap is started.
All my sheet metal is still at metal cleaners. Going to use Bens cab and doors with my bed and front sheet metal.
Thinking about selling the other cab and doors since I don't have time to build two right now.
1968 swb hydroboost, ididit tilt column, Saginaw p/s pump with F series serpentine, all led lights, Vintage Air and painless wiring. 393w, tko600. CV front suspension w/c5 calipers and gt500 rotors. Stock Flexomatic leaf springs with 01 CV 8.8, 3.90 gears and Auburn locker. Custom wood bed floor. Full frame off resto-mod.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Nice! Great start. Keep it going!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

I am curious. Why did you cut so much of the frame away on the right side?
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

Previous owner did to fit headers on it. When I took that pic I just cleaned the edges up and was about to burn in new metal. I cut a piece out of a junk frame to fix it.
1968 swb hydroboost, ididit tilt column, Saginaw p/s pump with F series serpentine, all led lights, Vintage Air and painless wiring. 393w, tko600. CV front suspension w/c5 calipers and gt500 rotors. Stock Flexomatic leaf springs with 01 CV 8.8, 3.90 gears and Auburn locker. Custom wood bed floor. Full frame off resto-mod.
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: 68 crew cab project

Post by tybob81 »

The cab, doors, 2 steel grills and buckets, lower valance, set of outer fenders and an inner fender are back from the dipper. The bed is still there in the tank right now. Been so busy getting the old house cleaned up for the move and moving into the new house I haven't had much free time. I will post some pics of the cab and such when I head back to the shop. Still haven't decided on a color yet.lol
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

Making a little progress ....been super busy at our new home.
zakt
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by zakt »

looking good, wish we had a dipping place out here :)
1972 Ford F350 crewcab
tylerb43
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tylerb43 »

Looking great, buddy! :thup: Can't wait to see more. Are you happy with ACP??
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

Can't beat the price at ACP compared to redi-strip in IN. The cab had so many layers of heavy paint on it, so it didn't come out as clean as I wanted. I am happy with everthing else so far. He still has the bed and it should be done any day now. I just got to make some time to work on it. This weekend I should get some time to work on it.
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

Trrying to make time to work on my crew cab. Between planning and doing stuff to get ready for the wedding, changing some stuff and remodeling projects on the new house and fighting with the city to get my garage approved and working nights the crew has been neglected. So I made some time today to start cleaning the cab and doors to get them ready for some primer and body work. I also changed the CV swap a little bit and decided to run 3/8" spacers on the underside of the frame to give me more room to make my rear arm mounts the way I want.
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Looking good! Thanks for the update. Can't wait to see more.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

Sure is nice to work with the dipped parts. Only way to fly IMO. They did miss a lot of paint on that cab though which surprises me. With the dippers I use the paint is long gone before the parts go on to the electrolysis tank.

Cool project, look forward to more.

Also, the M5R2's are tough little buggers. I've repaired dozens, maybe a hundred of those guys and almost all needed work for the sole reason that the oil dumped out the stupid plugs in the top plate and ate the pocket bearing.

I rebuilt one that had bad synchros in late model F-150 with a supercharged 4.6. The guy actually managed to spit some teeth off one of the gears drag racing it with slicks. He brought it back, I fixed it again (he paid for it) and he still hammers on it, just not so much with slicks anymore.

I've used them in Cummins swaps behind 600 lb/ft 4BT's in rigs that tow. Organic 11" clutches won't hold the torque so the trans can't really get the full power, but it's still pretty impressive to be at 15K pounds in 5th pulling a grade at 2000 RPM and 25 PSI and holding the pedal right on the verge of blowing through the clutch and the tranny just hums right along. I blew the planetary section of BW1356 transfer case apart behind an M5R2 while towing a big big load with a 4BT.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

I really like the M5R2 because of their tough but shift smoothly and the gear ratios are nice for cruising. As far as the dipper goes I have always had them come back looking like they were fresh out of the stamp room before this. The weather plays a big role on how well the stripping solution works. The guy uses a biodegradable water based solution and it sometimes takes longer during the colder weather. If I had more time before I was going up there I would have cleaned on it some more. 5 heavy layers of paint is tough for the solution to cut through. Either way it still beats having to sand all the old layers of paint off.
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

Here is the A/C unit I'm using in the crew cab. It is a gen II super cooler from Vintage Air.