68 crew cab project

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: 68 crew cab project

Post by tybob81 »

Thanks. I wanted a deeper taller dash to hide my super cooler vintage air unit. I started the swap with a 64 galaxie dash that I stretched the width on but it wasn't tall enough to hide the ac unit
1968 swb hydroboost, ididit tilt column, Saginaw p/s pump with F series serpentine, all led lights, Vintage Air and painless wiring. 393w, tko600. CV front suspension w/c5 calipers and gt500 rotors. Stock Flexomatic leaf springs with 01 CV 8.8, 3.90 gears and Auburn locker. Custom wood bed floor. Full frame off resto-mod.
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

Got a wild hair and decided to break out the sawzall and welder. This is a major undertaking and not for the faint of heart. To get the panels flush the drip rail flange needs removed between the roof skin and side panel. Lots more cutting & welding to do.
1968 swb hydroboost, ididit tilt column, Saginaw p/s pump with F series serpentine, all led lights, Vintage Air and painless wiring. 393w, tko600. CV front suspension w/c5 calipers and gt500 rotors. Stock Flexomatic leaf springs with 01 CV 8.8, 3.90 gears and Auburn locker. Custom wood bed floor. Full frame off resto-mod.
tylerb43
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tylerb43 »

Wow, that's ballsy. But I'm sure it'll turn out great, as it looks like you've got a great start on it! :thup:
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

I had to do something to make it look different and the drip rail on the crew cabs in my opinion is ugly. After it's all burned in I hang the doors again and align them to check my top gaps. Then a little lead work and some light filler and you'll never know it ever had it.
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

I have had the idea of chopping the top after this , but we'll wait and see. I already got the measurements and plan of attack needed to do it.
tylerb43
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tylerb43 »

tybob81 wrote:I had to do something to make it look different and the drip rail on the crew cabs in my opinion is ugly.
I agree, maybe it's influenced by us knowing how they were made, but the back 3 feet of drip rail always looked a little weird and wavy to me on the crew. Deleting it will make sure your eye isn't drawn to that area to focus on the strange. And you're right - if done right, you'll forget it was ever there. Great work, man!
Calfdemon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Calfdemon »

I agree completely! I think the drip rail on the regular cab actually compliments the truck with the way it follows the window down, but I have always disliked the drip rails on the crew cabs. I have seen one other crew in the past that deleted the drip rails and it looked awesome, but it was a lot more than I was willing to bite off on my project based on my lack of skills to pull it off properly. My hat is off to you on tackling this and it will look amazing when done!
-Rich

Current toys -
69 Ford F350 Crew Cab - 460 / C6 - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... lqgskp.jpg
31 Ford Vicky - 1955 270 Red Ram Hemi / 4 speed - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bsibvn.jpg

Former toys -
67 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible (sold 9/13) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bird-1.jpg
67 Ford Fairlane GT - 390 / 4 speed (sold 7/15) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... c5hu8z.jpg
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

Been messing with the crew cab a little bit last week. I got the hydro boost finished and hydraulic clutch set up done. Since I had it dipped last fall its been sitting in bare metal while I do the body mods. With this being said the warmer weather cause the shop concrete floor to sweat and the bottom of the cab and frame to flash up a little with rust. So I spent a Saturday afternoon with my Dad as we sand blasted the bottom of the cab so I can primer it.
This is the lift bar we use to pic up beds, cabs and other long objects with the chain hoist.
tylerb43
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tylerb43 »

Looking great, man, love the crane and lift bar. :clap: Now get that naked metal protected! :lol: