68 crew cab project

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: 68 F600 crew cab project

Post by tybob81 »

This truck build will be way more custom than my green 68. I'll keep it clean and tasteful, but it will be more wild. I'm all stocked up on sheet metal, sawzall blades and mig wire!!! No chop tops or changing the body lines just some tweaks I wanted to do with my F100 I did't do beacause it was all original rust free sheet metal. With this the cab started life as a F600 and it's going on a different frame so the collector value isn't as much I think. A lot more stock parts will not be retained on this one...I don't want to give away my ideas just yet, but it should be a sweet family hauler hot rod when done.
1968 swb hydroboost, ididit tilt column, Saginaw p/s pump with F series serpentine, all led lights, Vintage Air and painless wiring. 393w, tko600. CV front suspension w/c5 calipers and gt500 rotors. Stock Flexomatic leaf springs with 01 CV 8.8, 3.90 gears and Auburn locker. Custom wood bed floor. Full frame off resto-mod.
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

When I sell my 89 GT I will dive head first into this thing. So right now will be cleaning, rust repair and taking it to the dipper. When it comes back I'll set it up on the frame and burn the new mounts in and start body work. Depends when the Mustang sells is when it will see paint and a bunch of new parts.
1968 swb hydroboost, ididit tilt column, Saginaw p/s pump with F series serpentine, all led lights, Vintage Air and painless wiring. 393w, tko600. CV front suspension w/c5 calipers and gt500 rotors. Stock Flexomatic leaf springs with 01 CV 8.8, 3.90 gears and Auburn locker. Custom wood bed floor. Full frame off resto-mod.
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

Sold my 69 swb 4x4 frame and decided to go 2wd. Bought a 76 F250 swb crew Image
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

Those of you who are sensitive PLEASE DO NOT LOOK AT THE NEXT PICS! lol
That truck was beat to heck and rusty so I didn't feel to bad about cutting it up.
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: 68 crew cab project

Post by tybob81 »

Friday morning I'm going to finish stripping the frame all the way down to the bare frame only. I have a 4 link I was going to put on my green 68 that will find its way on my crew along with a crown vic 8.8 and front suspension.
Last edited by tybob81 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

I couldn't forget my puppy Lola loves my 75 for going on rides!
Last edited by tybob81 on Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheek
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cheek »

Cool pics! good to see some serious dentside blood n guts :P
I got a feeling this project is gonna be pretty damn wicked.
1970 Ford F100 351C FMX Daily
1972/3 Ford F100 Project
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

This build wouldn't be possible if it wasn't for a old school junkyard is Norris City IL. They have 60 acres of old trucks and another 17 acres up the road! I knew about five years ago he had a f600 crew cab, but I was knee deep in my green 68 to go buy it. Then one day I was bored and loaded up the dog for a road trip. When I got there I asked them if they had any 67-72 crew cabs and was amazed when he said yes! They had two but one was sold or crushed a while back. I bought the one they had left just the cab and doors and also bought the 76 swb f250 crew from them for the frame. Very fair prices and great people. I don't know if I can post the name of the business on here but you can PM me and I will give it to you. They are old school so I dought they would ship. I have never seen so many 67-72 and 73-79 F500-700 in one spot! They also have a bunch of 73-79 super cabs in short and long beds.
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

Just made a big order to Dennis Carpenter. Ordered driver side floor pan, cab corner and both front cab mounts.
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

Almost ready to take the frame to the blaster. I am using a crown vic front suspension so I scraped everything on the front except for radius arms and sway bar so I can put it on my red 75 F350.
the previous owner hacked the frame up to clear the exhaust manifold or headers on the radius arm crossmember so I will swap it out with one from a parts truck or maybe not run it since it's getting the crown vic suspension.
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

My 05 Grand Marquie front suspension will be ready to be picked up monday or tuesday. It's not a police interceptor but it only has 35k miles on it. My first round of sheet metal also showed up from Dennis Carpenter.
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

Picked up my 05 front suspension today. With the rain and other projects going on I haven't had much time to work on the crew cab.
tylerb43
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tylerb43 »

This is awesome man, can't wait to see this project start to come together! :thup:

What kind of cab lights are on your F600 cab? Are you going to be using them?
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

Not sure if im going to keep them on there or not.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

What happened to the brakes? On the one hand the lower mileage is great but no brakes? I paid $250 for mine with 56K for mileage. It was missing one brake hose. You also need the PS lines. You can buy the pressure line for just under $50 which is quite a bit to me just to cut up. The return end I think you can only get from Ford. The ends that go into the rack are o-ring seal press in and held down with a plate attached to the pressure line. Having the bolt that holds the plate down would be nice. The head is smaller making it easier to install. Read that special bolt. If you are making a trip back for the hoses have them cut the spacers out of the CV frame. They are only welded on top so a quick cut around the top and out they come. You can cut them to go inside of your rails and place the remaining portion on top of the rail maintaining the exact mount as in the CV. If you prefer you could cut the top rail with a larger hole so they slide in and weld them like Ford had them in the CV.

When you buy your calipers and hoses have the calipers and hoses with you when getting the bolt that holds the hose to the caliper. For some reason the one in the book my local parts store wasn't correct. He had one and if I remember right it was for a Ford pickup. Since you have to buy hoses you may want to have them custom built. I had to space mine out away from the rail so the wheels had full travel without ripping the hose apart. If you get some built you can have them made longer and they will bolt straight to the side of the frame or into your original hose brackets since you can have them configured how you desire. I stayed with stock as that makes them easier to get when/if I need one replaced.
Last edited by elgemcdlf on Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.