'70 Sport Custom Rebuild- She's been adopted!

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: '70 Sport Custom Rebuild-At least it's progress

Post by Heirloom »

How's things going Randy? Wife enjoying the new deck?
~Heirloom

'68 F250 360, 4 spd Project Thread!
Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: '70 Sport Custom Rebuild-Project stalled

Post by sargentrs »

Hell, nobody even uses the %$#@&* thing. Spent $2500 and a whole weeks vacation building it and everybody still hangs out on the front porch to BS. Aside from the deck, it's been a tough financial road this year so the bump sits patiently in the garage waiting on funding. Gotta repaint the interior before anything further can be done and I've decided that's best done by a professional. Got a local body shop that will come to the house, load her up, take her the shop and shoot the interior of the cab, inside the doors and the glove box door, ashtray front, etc and bring her back home for $600. That's with me supplying the paint, activator and reducer. And they can do it during the winter. Of course, if they have to do any additional prep it might run a little more. So I'm trying to save up a grand over the winter. In the meantime I'm tinkering with this old Dodge Dart as a DD and doing a little work on it with stuff I already have. Can't wait to get back on the bump though. It kills me to see her gathering dust. :cry:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Craigerf100
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Craigerf100 »

Naaa you have painted everything else yourself. Save that 600 bucks and buy a decent gun and spray the paint on yourself. :thup:
1964 F-100 Custom Cab Short Bed
1968 F-100 Short Bed
1967 Fairlane 500 Convertable
1967 Fairlane GT/A 289ci SOLD
1950 F-1 Original 239ci Flat Head V8 SOLD
1995 f-150 4x4 Swb 4.9L 5-speed FORSALE

My Build: :fr: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... &sk=t&sd=a
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Craigerf100 wrote:Naaa you have painted everything else yourself. Save that 600 bucks and buy a decent gun and spray the paint on yourself. :thup:
Thanks for the encouragement! I do have a decent gun. Maybe not high end but I did recognize that the HF gun wasn't going to cut it for color so I spent the money ($200) on a DeVilbiss gun. I will say that it is far superior to the HF. While I do realize now several of the mistakes I made on the first pass, that single stage urethane color I've chosen is far too expensive to risk and it's already getting too cool here for outdoor painting. Regardless, from a financial standpoint, I'm on hold until next spring. Bummer. However, I still get to peruse all you guys' projects and learn/steal all your ideas :wink:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
67nukeford
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 67nukeford »

Randy, truck is looking great! I'm not going to shoot color on mine, I'll get it right to the point of being ready for it, then pay a shop to do it. Thinking of building me a small paint booth n my garage, like the one you did!
Pat 1967 F100 4WD
LINK TO PROJECT THREAD
:http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... &sk=t&sd=a
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Thanks Pat! That booth I built has been a life saver. Doubles as a blast booth too, just hang a little more plastic.
Randy
67nukeford
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 67nukeford »

I see filters on the inside, you do have some way to pull air through them on the outside?
Pat 1967 F100 4WD
LINK TO PROJECT THREAD
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Yep, sure do. A friend GAVE me a brand new HVAC fan from a home central heat/air unit. 1200 cfm wired to 220v. I built a plenum box on the back of my booth, 12" deep, skinned it with fiberboard and mounted the fan on a piece of plywood attached to the back with wing nuts. Ran a 10" duct to one of the vents in my basement wall that exhausts under my deck off the [censored]. Built a framework, also removable, and assembled it to fit 6 of the $1 air filters (20x25) which are held in by some electric fence wire I had laying around. I have a roll up door on the front and when I kick that sucker on it tries to suck the door through the booth :D The whole booth is bolted together and can be disassembled in about 20 minutes and layed flat or propped up against the basement wall. Totally portable. When it gets cold, I just put an electric heater in and close the door. In about 45 minutes it's a toasty 80* in there. Turn the heater off, spray, let the booth exhaust, then turn the heater back on for curing/drying. I've got about $150 in materials in it since the fan was free.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy
67nukeford
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 67nukeford »

That is awesome!! Nice work, and thanks for sharing, Randy!!
Pat 1967 F100 4WD
LINK TO PROJECT THREAD
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

I'll bring the specific insulation questions over here so we don't clutter up the cab pics thread.

You posted that you got 50sqft for about $40 shipped. It looks like now it's less product for about the same (40sqft). After doing some rough measurements I am thinking something like 85-90 square feet should do most everything in the cab, roof and doors included. I want to go to the upper firewall seam (cowl box/firewall not cowl box/dash/windshield) back to and up the rear wall like you did. I can't tell but it looks like you went to the lower seam (firewall/floor) correct? There is at least another 6-8sqft up there between the two seams.

I am simply trying to figure out how much I need. If you did get 50sqft then that gives me a good idea how much more I need. Hope I can get away with 80sqft. If two 40ft rolls won't cover it, then I might go with this stuff...... http://www.homedepot.com/p/UltraTouch-4 ... 0000-11424 $60 for 96sqft. I worry about moisture holding though. It might be fine if everything is sealed up well, which it will be.

What do you estimate it will take? And anyone who has done theirs similarly, from upper firewall seam to just below the upper gas tank mounts, inside the doors and on the ceiling. Whats the average material requirement? :help:

Thanks!

:fr:
~Heirloom

Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

IIRC, I had a good sized piece left over when I did my floor so I feel pretty confident 80 sq/ft will do what you want. I put that Home Depot stuff on the floor of my Dodge Dart and the EZ Cool is far superior. When I put the HD stuff down, it actually popped like bubble wrap and compressed when it did so. The EZ Cool did no such thing. I took a sample piece of the EZ Cool I received and soaked it underwater for 30 minutes. Then I took it out, dried off the outside surfaces and tried to wring more water out of it. Not a drop came out. I highly recommend it over the HD variety. Also, on the Peel 'n Seal, go to Lowe's and get the real deal. I came up a little short, you should buy 3 rolls if you're going further up the firewall, and picked up a roll of the similar stuff from Home Depot because I don't have Lowe's in my town. The HD was a tarry, smelly mess. The Peel 'n Seal did not have that asphalt smell and, while very sticky, did not come off on my hands like the HD stuff. Peel 'n Seal cut cleanly and pressed firmly while the HD stuff would leave a stringy trail when you cut it and when you mashed it down it would ooze out the seams. Get one of those 2" wooden laminate rollers and save your hands. Mine were sore for days :lol:
Randy
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

The HD mat I'm talking about doesn't have bubbles. It's a recycled cotton product woven sort of like jute, but with a radiant foil barrier. Anti fungus impregnated fibers. Summit sells it too, only marked up for the auto industry :roll: Going to go ahead and try it. I am trying to be 'budget' after all :lol:

I'm going to peel-n-seal first, then glue the Ultratouch barrier down followed by sealing all the seams and edges with foil tape. Going to do it all the way up the firewall, inside the doors, and on the ceiling plus in the rear cab corner cubbies (steel drums I tell ya). I remeasured with a little more accuracy later today and came up with 85.5sqft needed. Ordered a few minutes ago. Someday we'll have to get together and compare :burp:

Oh, on the peel-n-seal. Did you by chance look at the other brand Lowes had that came in 9" width and 50' long? It's a foil backed peel and seal type flashing. More square feet covered per dollar by far. But if it makes the truck smell like a rolling asphalt project...no thanks.

Thanks again for the help. I look at your cab and get lost just looking. I suppose it might equate to a woman and a diamond, lol.
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Sounds like a good game plan, Josh. I only used the Peel 'n Seal in the 6" x 25' rolls so I can't speak on the other, wider/longer, stuff you're referring too.
Heirloom wrote:Thanks again for the help. I look at your cab and get lost just looking. I suppose it might equate to a woman and a diamond, lol.
:lol: I look at your paint job and have the same reaction. Great work!
Randy
Highboy-69

Post by Highboy-69 »

I just read threw your whole thread, So worth while of my time i don't know how i have not run across it before, but your doing some absolutely stunning work! I'm envious, Keep it going!
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Thanks Highboy! Hopefully I'll be back on it this spring. :wink:
Randy