68' F100 Long Bed "Texas Trouble"

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Judgement699

68' F100 Long Bed "Texas Trouble"

Post by Judgement699 »

Hello all :D....... My name is Alex, and this is the story and details of my project in motion "Texas Trouble". I got this truck when I was 16 from my grandfather and it sat in his lot for almost 2 years till he gave me the title for a birthday gift. Then the money began to go into the truck. The day I got this truck I noticed this was going to be a long road.... Sadly this road has been lined with landmines and oddly enought obsticles that have shocked me even till now. I am now 21 and making some good money to put into this truck. Luckly for me I have my younger brother who is just as much a ford enthusiest as I am, My Dad who knows exactly where I mess up and corrects me for it but much better at this then I, My Grandfather who can solve most engine problems or get your going in the right direction, a neighbor who knows everything about everything with 4 wheels, and plenty of friends willing to help...... Sounds like a sit com. :help:

This is the truck the day I got it. Surprise atleasts its a Ford..... Minus 1 rear end.
Does not look to bad. Thats my other ford in the background.
Straight body lines on both sides.... No major damage yay. :woohoo:
Nice interior; or so I think so far.
Wow, a 302, I like the 302 so I think its gonna stay. Just gonna need some paint.
Last edited by Judgement699 on Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
forrestbump
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 69' F100 Long Bed "The Judge"

Post by forrestbump »

Alex,

Looks like y'all got a pretty decent foundation from which to start.

Much luck and thanks for sharing with all of us.
1970, 2WD, F-250, C/S, Dual Tanks, 390 FE (of course), C6, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Dana 60 3.73, Sky View Blue, Ranger XLT

1970, 2WD, F-250, C/S, A/C, Dual Tanks, 390 FE (again, of course), C6, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Dana 60 3.73, Wimbledon White & Sky View Blue, Ranger (almost twin brothers!)

"One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do" - Henry Ford

Larry
Judgement699

Post by Judgement699 »

So the rebuild has gotten progressive since everything has gotten in. So we began with the bottom end. My dad here is torquing everything down.... about 3 minuted into torquing everything down the crank was in.

Now onto the connecting rods. We got them all compressed and seated, rings on, and lubed up. Caps came on and then the nuts and then came the torque. I grab the torque wrench and started on the 1st bolt..... I dont think i got past 10 ft/lbs before the bolt sheard right off the rod. :cry: . Thank god they were only pressed in just gotta order some new connecting rod bolts. Got me a set of ARP wavelock connecting rod bolts, and the rods held their shape great.
SmokeyBurnout

Post by SmokeyBurnout »

It's good to have a dad around to help out with this kind of stuff! I know I would have never got my 70 going without him. Good luck on the build, look forward to seeing your progress.
70' F100 SWB, 300 I6, 3spd converted to floor
Judgement699

Post by Judgement699 »

Thanks man, I know what you mean without him this block may have been scrapped earlier due to blunders or alot of money spent that didnt need to be.
BlueOvalDave

Post by BlueOvalDave »

Did you stroke it and what cam are you using?
Judgement699

Post by Judgement699 »

Unfortunatly I didnt stroke it and went in with an Edelbrock stock cam. Since this is my first engine I have ever torn down like this I wanted to see if I can get it back in and running first. Althought I have had it in my mind here lately to take my mustang's 3.8 and replace with a 347 EFI and Supercharge it. But nothing special on this truck yet. May get another motor and go futher in the future.
Judgement699

Post by Judgement699 »

Engine parts and bolts in dollar store ziplock bags + covered in oil + 3 or 4 months = cant figure out what bolts are which....

Had to order all new timing chain, oil pan, intake, and water pump bolts. Waiting that long was a bad idea but had no choice, atleast I know that the last things that will fail will be the bolts, ARP has really been covering up my mistakes here lately :hd:

And also in this week the city has sighted my truck as a "nuisance" they told me to move it or they would move it for me. I looked up our city code and they say it had to be removed from "PUBLIC" view. 2 thoughts came to mind by alot of old Christmas trees and cover it with them or buy premade fence and put it up around the truck. Sadly I just moved it to the back, Couldnt find the trees and fencing was to expencive. The city seems to put the arm down on the hotroder and restoration community here in my town and I can understand why...
Judgement699

Post by Judgement699 »

Just got all my bolts and water pump in that I ordered.... Hopefully I can get this motor rebuilt this next week. :pray:
Judgement699

Post by Judgement699 »

:D The engine is finished except for valve covers!!! I did buy a pair but with roller rockers they have just high enough lift that I have to get a pair of tall valve covers. Took my dad, my cousin, and me a totall of 4 hours to make sure this engine was rebuilt right.... Except for valve covers.

The block when we got the head on. blurry but oh well.
My cousin torquing down the head.
My cousin and my dad working on the head. It really is a small garage.
Here is the mess about half way through the build
Me working on the oil pan.
And here is the engine finished. Cant wait to fire it up.
SmokeyBurnout

Post by SmokeyBurnout »

Looking good!
Judgement699

Post by Judgement699 »

Thanks, I must admit that it wasnt until I started working on that motor that I realized how small our garage is.
Judgement699

Re: 68' F100 Long Bed "The Judge"

Post by Judgement699 »

Gezz, I hate Bodywork!!! Nothing seems to line up straight and my lines on the fenders are not right. Im just waiting to get my welder and then gonna rebuild one of the other horrible fenders and see if I can shape some metal. Next paycheck I think Im gonna buy my wiring harness, either that or keep saving for it depends. 8)
SmokeyBurnout

Post by SmokeyBurnout »

Looking good so far fella! Your motor makes me jealous!!!!
Judgement699

Post by Judgement699 »

Doing Bondo work requiered patience and some keen eye. I have a keen eye... but no patience what so ever. :doh: