1969 Ranger - Project Glory Days!

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

tylerb43
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: 1969 Ranger - Project Glory Days!

Post by tylerb43 »

Hey guys! Thought I'd show you all my spare tire carrier I finished last night, it's pretty sweet. The winch, tube, and crank are from a '06 F150. I removed the factory "strap" from the original cross-members, and made a new frame to hold the winch in place. I was able to point the tube toward an existing hole in the frame, just aft of the RR tire for the crank handle to slide into. I liked the idea of the crank handle coming out of the wheel well, as opposed to the bumper like the newer trucks do.

I've had this idea for awhile, but wanted to wait until I got the bed on to be sure of clearances. And yes, I'm going to buy a new spare, this one just filled the test role for now. :D

Anyway, thought you guys may like to see it. :thup:

Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Sweet Jesus, that's beautiful! Nice work on the tire carrier!
~Heirloom

'68 F250 360, 4 spd Project Thread!
Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Haha! Tyler, you have no idea what you do for me. Practically every update you post is something I'm planning for my truck and you map it out, test it and show me how to do it. I just want you to know I appreciate all you do for me. Great work! :thup:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Calfdemon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Calfdemon »

sargentrs wrote:Haha! Tyler, you have no idea what you do for me. Practically every update you post is something I'm planning for my truck and you map it out, test it and show me how to do it. I just want you to know I appreciate all you do for me. Great work! :thup:
:yt:

I pulled the spare tire carrier out of a Dodge Durango and plan on installing it in my truck as well. Have not gotten around to it yet, but love seeing what you did with yours! :thup:
-Rich

Current toys -
69 Ford F350 Crew Cab - 460 / C6 - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... lqgskp.jpg
31 Ford Vicky - 1955 270 Red Ram Hemi / 4 speed - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bsibvn.jpg

Former toys -
67 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible (sold 9/13) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bird-1.jpg
67 Ford Fairlane GT - 390 / 4 speed (sold 7/15) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... c5hu8z.jpg
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

I'm focused on my cab and interior right now so I haven't even looked for one. She's sat so long I'm going to have to repaint the tail of my frame so figure I'd just wait on the spare tire and receiver hitch until I can do it all and repaint. All in good time. :D
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
tylerb43
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tylerb43 »

Heirloom wrote:Sweet Jesus, that's beautiful! Nice work on the tire carrier!
Thanks Josh!
sargentrs wrote:Haha! Tyler, you have no idea what you do for me. Practically every update you post is something I'm planning for my truck and you map it out, test it and show me how to do it. I just want you to know I appreciate all you do for me. Great work! :thup:
My pleasure buddy! I'm happy to help as you and so many here have helped me throughout this project. Thank you! :D
Calfdemon wrote:I pulled the spare tire carrier out of a Dodge Durango and plan on installing it in my truck as well. Have not gotten around to it yet, but love seeing what you did with yours! :thup:
Thank you Sir! I was just familiar with the newer Ford design and the improvements they've made to it, but I'm sure others will work, and interested to see yours! I just didn't like the idea of not carrying a spare, and wasn't a fan of the original design. :thup:

:fr:
cole71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cole71 »

Top notch work, bud!
Coupe5oh

Post by Coupe5oh »

Lookin' good !!!! Slow down, you're getting ahead of me.
-1993 Cobra #121, Black/ Grey leather
-1968 Mustang GT Fastback, Gulfstream Aqua
-1967 f100 pile of parts...
Craigerf100
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Craigerf100 »

Lookin good. She looks just like your old pics of her.

She looks better without the side moldings I think. :thup:
1964 F-100 Custom Cab Short Bed
1968 F-100 Short Bed
1967 Fairlane 500 Convertable
1967 Fairlane GT/A 289ci SOLD
1950 F-1 Original 239ci Flat Head V8 SOLD
1995 f-150 4x4 Swb 4.9L 5-speed FORSALE

My Build: :fr: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... &sk=t&sd=a
tylerb43
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tylerb43 »

cole71 wrote:Top notch work, bud!
Thanks, Cole!!
Coupe5oh wrote:Lookin' good !!!! Slow down, you're getting ahead of me.
Yeah right! I believe you have a seat, lights and have actually DRIVEN yours! That's miles ahead of me! :lol:
Craigerf100 wrote:Lookin good. She looks just like your old pics of her.
Thanks, man! That's the idea of the project, to bring her back to her Glory Days, but a little nicer. (and the "a little" quickly became "a lot" :oops: ) I really like many of the modern trends with these trucks, short beds, larger wheels with a slightly lowered stance, modern drivetrain, etc. But that just wasn't the plan with this one. I guess that means I'll have to build another one someday! :D
FoPAR
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by FoPAR »

Looking sooooo good! dang I wish I could get back to work on mine. love that blue keep it up! :thup:
"FoPar" because I love Fords and Mopars so just call me FoPar... :D
Craigerf100
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Craigerf100 »

tylerb43 wrote: Thanks, man! That's the idea of the project, to bring her back to her Glory Days, but a little nicer. (and the "a little" quickly became "a lot" :oops: ) I really like many of the modern trends with these trucks, short beds, larger wheels with a slightly lowered stance, modern drivetrain, etc. But that just wasn't the plan with this one. I guess that means I'll have to build another one someday! :D
Lol oh yeah poor guy, you gotta build another classic :roll:
1964 F-100 Custom Cab Short Bed
1968 F-100 Short Bed
1967 Fairlane 500 Convertable
1967 Fairlane GT/A 289ci SOLD
1950 F-1 Original 239ci Flat Head V8 SOLD
1995 f-150 4x4 Swb 4.9L 5-speed FORSALE

My Build: :fr: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... &sk=t&sd=a
68SPECIAL

Post by 68SPECIAL »

Just curious why you changed the original design of the ac bracket? was it not sturdy enough? Also, i'm installing an electric fan as well, does the shroud of the fan being up against the radiator fins concern you as a longevity issue or does yours have a small gap between the shroud and the fins?

Your build is first class man.
68' F-250 Camper Special, 390, power steering, hydroboost
tylerb43
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tylerb43 »

68SPECIAL wrote:Just curious why you changed the original design of the ac bracket? was it not sturdy enough? Also, i'm installing an electric fan as well, does the shroud of the fan being up against the radiator fins concern you as a longevity issue or does yours have a small gap between the shroud and the fins?

Your build is first class man.
Thank you sir! I appreciate the comment. I only changed the design because I saw a way to improve, and I easily could. I think the original would've been fine. The updated version will definitely resist the torque of the compressor body better, but honestly I can't say if it was actually an issue. It's just does what my brain does when I take too long to finish something..redesign, redesign...I'm my own worst enemy. :o And to answer your shroud question - not at all. An air gap means there's that much cfm that will not be pulled through the radiator, since that path will be the least restricted. I've seen guys attach foam or slit a small diameter hose and run along the edge of the shroud to ensure a good seal there even. The shroud just has light pressure against the radiator tubes, and the install is secure with no vibration since the fan is mounted to the radiator. Now, you guys know I'm no expert, so tell me if I'm out of line, it's just what made sense to me. :thup:
tylerb43
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tylerb43 »

I am about to mount the ds fender for about the 10th (and hopefully last) time, and I don't think I've shown you guys my horn. It's a dual unit from a newer F150, and I mounted it here so it could be heard but not seen. Now, for a gravel road-running work truck, this may not be the greatest idea, but for my truck and it's intended use, it's perfect. :thup:

You got one of these on the shelf, Randy?! :lol: