69 f-100 short bed coyote swap now Project Howlin'

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: 69 f-100 short bed coyote swap now Project Howlin'

Post by IN2FORD »

Do you have any pics showing the backside of the instruments? I am curious as to how you mounted the gauges in that panel.

Barry
48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

I dont think I took any and I just put the panel back in for what I hope is one of the last times. I took the white box that the stock gauges bolt in and I used a hole saw to put the gauges in that. Then i cut spaces out of pvc pipe to bring the gauge face up to the height so they would be flush like the stock gauges. The gauges then mounted just like when you mount them in a dash used the autometer brackets cut down a little. I took the original ford wiring and made the round connectors fit the flat spade terminals on the autometer gauges. Only change was I rewired the amp meter wiring to volt meter I did that back at the truck connector. For the wiper switch I extended one of the original gauge light bulbs over and put a led bulb in it. For the wiper switch I used one of scott drakes 1969 mustang wiper switches and cut the stem down and filed a flat on it. The whole thing plugs in like a stock cluster except for the electric speedo that has its own plug to the sendor from the tranny. Wiper switch uses the stock plug the wires reach.
48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

Bronco_77 wrote:I seen u said u did the explorer disc swap on ur 9 inch is it a straight forward bolt on swap or is there anything else u have to do on them. Thanks for any help I'm stuck on which way to go for disc swaps and everyone tells me something different.

You need to buy spacers from currie they go between the bearing and the axle flange. This is a pair of rings that must used between the axle bearing and the bearing retainer plate when installing the Explorer brake kit onto a rearend that is equipped with 9" Ford style housing ends and axles. Sold as a pair. $29

http://www.currieenterprises.com/CE-6012-SPACER

If I were to do it again I'd buy the whole kit from Currie or at least the explorer brakes. By the time I got everything cleaned up and working I'd had the same amount of money in new but that was fighting NY rust. I had to do body work on the dust shields and sandblast everything.
OH AND DONT BUY Currie T bolts they SUCK the threads strip off them when you use them.

On the mustang I'm working on now I might go with mustang steves set up if I dont put the whole 8.8 rear out of the explorer in.
http://www.mustangsteve.com/cobrabrakes.html
Bronco_77

Post by Bronco_77 »

Thanks man I just ordered them and my eaton true trac carrier just came in from jegs still have to decide on what ring and pinion I'm going run and get it on the way. Can't wait to get it all put together this rear end is turning into a nightmare but it wouldn't be fun if it wasn't.
68 f100 390 3 speed on the collom G maw gave to me G paw drove in late 70s till late 80s
77 bronco 302 lifted 5.5 with 33s and rears cut
69 Mustang boss 302 clone bought when was 14 sold when was 28 to build house
Craigerf100
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Craigerf100 »

your new camera take much better pics :P
1964 F-100 Custom Cab Short Bed
1968 F-100 Short Bed
1967 Fairlane 500 Convertable
1967 Fairlane GT/A 289ci SOLD
1950 F-1 Original 239ci Flat Head V8 SOLD
1995 f-150 4x4 Swb 4.9L 5-speed FORSALE

My Build: :fr: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... &sk=t&sd=a
48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

Craigerf100 wrote:your new camera take much better pics :P
most are just pics from cell once in a while I have the digital cam in the garage. Biggest hurdle is to remember to upload the pics from the sd card
48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

picked these up this summer at the Carlise either all for nationals or truck nationals. Problem was the green was one too many colors going on with the interior.

Cleaned them up painted withe SEM landau black, then recovered the failing chrome with chrome vinyl wrap.
I forgot to clean and paint the green cups so I think I'll buy repo black ones and try and sell the green ones, they dont seem to repo the green ones.
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

Read your thread last night - great work man! I'm tempted to build a SWB coyote F100 project of my own someday...
Steve F.
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
'72 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 390-2V, C6, Wind blue & Wimbledon White (‘Smokey’)
8)
2016 F150 Lariat FX4 Supercrew, Ruby Red
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070
48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

Bullitt74 wrote:Read your thread last night - great work man! I'm tempted to build a SWB coyote F100 project of my own someday...
Thanks been playing with the idea of going back to my original plan of a crown vic body swap, as this one is almost done but have a few mustangs to finish first.
Bronco_77

Post by Bronco_77 »

You've helped me a few times all ready and I was hoping you wouldn't mind helping me out again. I read in your build that u set your engine back 2 inches and to the drivers side a half inch. What kind of motor mounts did u use or do u have pics of them. I got my car on the lift yesterday and hopefully get the engine and transmission pulled out this week and start test fitting. Thanks for any help man.
68 f100 390 3 speed on the collom G maw gave to me G paw drove in late 70s till late 80s
77 bronco 302 lifted 5.5 with 33s and rears cut
69 Mustang boss 302 clone bought when was 14 sold when was 28 to build house
48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

I've been having wheel hop problems anybody try a truck arm set up?
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

48prerunner wrote:I've been having wheel hop problems anybody try a truck arm set up?

I am having the issue as well. Thought about 4 link setup but what about these options:

https://www.calvertracing.com/index.php

http://www.tractionmaster.com/

Barry