1970 F100 CV/Thunderbird

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 1970 F100 CV/Thunderbird

Post by elgemcdlf »

Ordered my plates yesterday. FARM TRK I thought it fitting.
F100builder
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by F100builder »

Damn, I want to do this...nice work.
Patrick

ImageImageImageImage
'56 F100; Must.II IFS, 351W bored & stroked to 395c.i. 470hp/483ft-lbs., AOD, 4-link coilover 9" w/ 3.89's
'69 F100; 390, C6, Dana 60 w/ 4.10's
'70 F100; 'new' and latest project soon to have a built 390/C6 and 3.50 gears
To see more of my F100's: http://www.cardomain.com/id/lowfat56
The Big Bear

Post by The Big Bear »

Your dash is cool and the truck is really turning out nice keep it going and it always makes me want to do more to mine. I got the wipers off with your help!
Be grateful for every day :fr:
67F100-390

Post by 67F100-390 »

Your truck is looking amazing!!! And I'm jealous of your shop! Keep up the great work. Can't wait to see the truck finished.
67 F-100 Custom Cab Short Bed
428ci 4 speed
Finally runs and drives after 14 long years in a field
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

I'm coming for you Bobby! Found me a set of C9 heads & intake. Throw in a set of 1.7 roller rockers & an early timing set should put me out around 400 hp.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

elgemcdlf wrote:I'm coming for you Bobby! Found me a set of C9 heads & intake. Throw in a set of 1.7 roller rockers & an early timing set should put me out around 400 hp.
That will definitely wake it up :thup:
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

I managed to get the engine tore down today. Should have parts to put it back together tomorrow.

Hood storage

Our new plate for the truck

The core support is set up for a 6cyl. I have a big block core support coming but until then I need to open up the core support for more air flow.

An old man pulling the lower hose

Pulling the radiator

The original opening

The same old man cutting out the opening

Carb off. If you look closely you will see a passage below the carb on the right rear for the egr system. The C8 intake does not have this passage. Both intakes are dual plane.

PS pump out of the way

Valve cover off to reveal a Pennzoil/Quaker State or some other paraffin based oil engine. Have some cleanup to do here.

There's that old man again

Intake, water pump & harmonic balancer pulled. We can now see how bad the valley is caked with paraffin

That guy is just plain fat!

Timing cover off. Not that easy to see but the timing set is shot. Just doing a replacement would greatly help but I am advancing the stock cam 4* with the replacement timing set

Another shot of the valley

These pistons are dished out in the center (lower compression). The pistons in the engine that donated the heads were flat top with valve relief cuts in them.

More pics tomorrow as the engine goes back together.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

When you do a swap to early heads on a smogger 460 be sure to get the rockers & pushrods. The 460 push rods are too short. I am currently short 1 pushrod. Will know in the morning if I have 1 or have to order 1. A friend of mine owns a parts store & had a 429 he built. He thinks he has a few spare pushrods at home. Patience, patience, patience.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Time to put her back together again.

Cleaning major parts at the car wash.

Timing cover on, heads set in place & putting the head bolts in.

Rockers back in & intake on.

Nothing like getting into your work. All the bending over doing this still has my back feeling it. Gotta love getting old. Bolting on the left header in this pic.

Connecting vac lines on the back of the intake.

Water pump on.

Distributor tore down for recurving. I had 10L & 15L slots in mine. It was originally set on the 15L slot. I moved it to the 10L slot. It may get moved back we will see how it all goes.

Distributor back together, PS pump on, 1" carb spacer & carb on.

Valve covers going on.

Air cleaner on. Still needs painted & will be replaced with a pretty one in the future.

This has definitely "woke up the sleeping giant". Hopefully Monday I am picking up a 750 dp for the engine. It has been worth every bit of effort. The higher compression has given her a deeper, throatier sound out the pipes. Pulling out of the driveway for the test drive I got sideways with it without even trying. That woke me up. :D
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Sweet! It has to be a lot more crisp with those heads and that timing set in there :thup:
I would recommend a vacuum secondary carburetor over the DP.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

I haven't got accustom to it yet. Still working on dialing her in. Everything I have read over at 460 & 429-460 websites say the original 650 leaves the engine thirsty. They recommend a 750 dp. I may do more homework prior to carb purchase. It doesn't have the old muscle car plaster you in the seat feel but it definitely plants you back on acceleration. We live on a road that is somewhat busy so the norm is to pull out and step into it to get moving with the flow. I did exactly that on the test drive and before I knew it the truck was sideways. I would recommend the mods I did to anyone with a smogger 460. It went from "yes I can tell it's a big block" to "I can feel so much more in there just waiting to be let loose." My next engine move will be a cam. I want a thumper. Something that just makes it sound nasty. Hopefully it will help performance as well.

I am also looking at gears for the rear. Currently have 3.08s. Thinking more in the 350ish range. I have always read 3.56s are a good street performance gears. Getting nervous about scattering the IRS now. I will definitely be beefing it up.
Last edited by elgemcdlf on Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

From Holley.com:
QUESTION How do I know if a vacuum or mechanical carburetor is best for me?

ANSWER For street cars the vacuum secondary carburetor works best on midweight or heavyweight cars with an automatic transmission. They are more forgiving than a Double Pumper is because they work by sensing engine load. The mechanical secondary carburetor is best on a lighter car with radical camshaft and a lower gear and manual transmission or on a car that is going to be used for racing purposes.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

I found an online calculator that puts out MPH for RPM along with 1/4 times. No idea on the accuracy but I will most likely be taking my truck to the track to find out. It says in current setup I should be turning 12.8s @ 106 mph. That would make my day since I have not got real serious about that yet.
JG F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JG F100 »

elgemcdlf wrote:I found an online calculator that puts out MPH for RPM along with 1/4 times. No idea on the accuracy but I will most likely be taking my truck to the track to find out. It says in current setup I should be turning 12.8s @ 106 mph. That would make my day since I have not got real serious about that yet.
hopefully your track has a scale, very curious on how much your truck weighs. let us know how it does, 12s first time out is optimistic, good luck.

btw I'll be swapping in a 460 eventually, I just hate to give up my overdrive tranny.
72 F100 - SWB conversion w/05 crown vic IFS, 8.8 rear w/disc, 20s, 360FE w/overdrive
Project Page: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=37897
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

JG F100 wrote:
elgemcdlf wrote:I found an online calculator that puts out MPH for RPM along with 1/4 times. No idea on the accuracy but I will most likely be taking my truck to the track to find out. It says in current setup I should be turning 12.8s @ 106 mph. That would make my day since I have not got real serious about that yet.
hopefully your track has a scale, very curious on how much your truck weighs. let us know how it does, 12s first time out is optimistic, good luck.

btw I'll be swapping in a 460 eventually, I just hate to give up my overdrive tranny.
They won't let me run it. I checked this morning & they have a list of requirements & my truck fails 2 of them right off. Must be street legal (no wipers) must have operational interior & exterior door handles (shaved exterior handles). You can use an OD trans with a 460. They ran 460s up until 1997. 1987 was the last year for carbed engines. Here is a link to info on running an OD trans behind the 385 series engine.

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138967

I didn't expect the truck to actually do 12s but was curious how accurate the calculator was. She will set you back in the seat though. I have been considering swapping out my C6 for an OD trans just to get the rpms down at highway speeds.