1970 F100 CV/Thunderbird

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 1970 F100 CV/Thunderbird

Post by elgemcdlf »

SATURN5 wrote:No way a Mustang tank is going to fit on my shortbed with IRS with a stock rear crossmember. Even moved to the ends of the frame and flipped, I'm short almost 3 inches of depth. My plan is a 22 gallon tank, section it 3 inches and baffled for a EFI pump.
You may very well be correct. My truck is not here with me right now so I can't look but I had forgot about the rear mounted sway bar & all involved.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Ok for those doing a 385 series engine with a CV IFS swap here is where it all lies on the steering sector shaft. Using the CV lower will hit the left header. I do not know if it will hit with manifolds. I just finished replacing my shaft with a 3/4" Mustang V / 3/4" DD lower joint, 3/4" 36 spline / 1" DD upper joint & a telescoping DD shaft. The shaft had to be cut down. The shortest I could get from Summit was 24". With the new shaft in I now clear the header but just barely. If I knew then what I know now I would have went with 3/4" DD shaft with the same upper (with exception of being a 3/4" DD instead of 1" DD) & lower joints but would have added a 3rd joint mounted near the frame rail. This would move the shaft way away from the header leaving room for things like changing header gaskets. Of course with the telescoping shaft all I need to do is drop the upper connection & the shaft is out of the way. Hopefully this info will help somebody. Learn from my moves.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Well here are some pics of the hood as it stands. It still needs finish work done so this is raw form. I am planning on making the Fordification show in Anderson, MO so anyone there can get a much closer look.

When the truck is finished it will have 3/16"-1/4" gaps on all panels.
taylor351
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by taylor351 »

Looks fantastic :thup:
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab 4.7 liter Daily Driver
1993 f150 351 4x4
1969 f100 Ranger daily driver wantabe
1972 classic c10
Proudly serving Christ since 2000
God bless our troops
A bitter rural American clinging to my guns and my religion.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

taylor351 wrote:Looks fantastic :thup:
Thanks. Hopefully I will get to grinding down the welds here soon. I have my Comp Cams Thumpr cam along with my gear drive timing set, gaskets, etc. Did some reading & really like the sounds of Comp Cams lifters so I think I will order a set before installing. I will check valve spring specs before firing it up. She may also get treated to a full set of Comp Cams valve springs & retainers.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

I like it! Subtle but striking.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

sargentrs wrote:I like it! Subtle but striking.

Thanks. I wanted subtle. Kinda wishing I would have gone a bit higher but I am satisfied with it. Once it gets finished out I am hoping it looks like Ford built it that way. Just like the way we shaved the wipers. We could have filled the cowl but I wanted it to look like Ford built it with no wipers.
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

I am going to have to play devils advocate on this one. Please don't take this as I don't like your idea or your work. You're doing a great job and I do like the idea of a cowl induction look. BUT, to me it looks like it might be a little too subtle. To me it almost looks like the hinges didn't suck all the way down and the hood isn't seated. I, we, all know that's not the case though. Maybe the pics aren't translating it right for me and I should shut my mouth and look at it in person. But in my mind it could be a little taller and still be subtle, yet not too low and sort of ambiguous.

Just my :2cents: Again, I am not attacking you or it. I think you're doing a marvelous job :) Hope that doesn't come off wrong. :oops:
~Heirloom

'68 F250 360, 4 spd Project Thread!
Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

I have no idea how I double posted....AND quoted myself. But this post can disappear. The one above me is all I wanted to say. :doh:
~Heirloom

'68 F250 360, 4 spd Project Thread!
Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Heirloom wrote:I am going to have to play devils advocate on this one. Please don't take this as I don't like your idea or your work. You're doing a great job and I do like the idea of a cowl induction look. BUT, to me it looks like it might be a little too subtle. To me it almost looks like the hinges didn't suck all the way down and the hood isn't seated. I, we, all know that's not the case though. Maybe the pics aren't translating it right for me and I should shut my mouth and look at it in person. But in my mind it could be a little taller and still be subtle, yet not too low and sort of ambiguous.

Just my :2cents: Again, I am not attacking you or it. I think you're doing a marvelous job :) Hope that doesn't come off wrong. :oops:

I think the hood is kind of like a top chop. Take too much & it doesn't look right. I do think I could have went up to 1 1/2" of raise without looking like a radical alteration. The hood is fully seated & the pics may be messing with you a bit. Sometimes when I look at it the hood raise looks very pronounced & other times it seems hard to tell anything was done. Just 1 of those things that will stand out more when parked with other bumps.

No offense taken in any way. We all have our own preferences. It's easy to say "should have gone taller" believe me my wife & I have both said it from time to time. The best way to know that though was to step in & do it with x" raise & stand back. I did the raise with pics & now if someone else is/was considering such a mod they know what 3/4" looks like & the work involved.
dantheman71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dantheman71 »

I like it :thup: I've always wanted to see how that would look but have never been brave enough to try it!
1972 Ford F-100
2002 Ford F-150
2002 Yamaha Raptor 660
Check out my NEW build thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 93#p641993
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Well sitting here on my floor is a CompCams Thumpr along with a gear drive timing set. Doing a bit of reading CompCams says I need valve springs. I contacted tech support (to make sure I bought the right stuff) & ordered the valve springs, retainers & locks. I am hoping to have the cam in before making the show in Branson.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Just got back from having a 4 wheel alignment. It sure drives better! Got great news on the suspension installs. Both are dead on square!
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Well all pieces are here to start the cam swap. Gaskets are in the cab of the truck.

Was planning on starting on it in the morning but my father wants to hit an auction. I may have it back running with the Thumpr sometime Saturday. Ok ladies & gents place your bets. Can you swap the cam in a bump with a 460 in the truck without removing the grille (or cutting a hole in it)? We shall know here shortly. Yes Bobby I am still coming for you. Now that I know Scott did your heads I am so thinking about shipping mine out to WA & having him do mine! :D
Craigerf100
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Craigerf100 »

good luck :D
1964 F-100 Custom Cab Short Bed
1968 F-100 Short Bed
1967 Fairlane 500 Convertable
1967 Fairlane GT/A 289ci SOLD
1950 F-1 Original 239ci Flat Head V8 SOLD
1995 f-150 4x4 Swb 4.9L 5-speed FORSALE