1970 F100 CV/Thunderbird

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 1970 F100 CV/Thunderbird

Post by elgemcdlf »

Started on the hood today. Here are a few pics. I started with the original hood.

Some shots of how we will be cutting the web structure underneath. I did not get the top side pics today but will have some Monday. Just so everyone knows what the plan is I am raising the portion of the hood that is raised originally another 3/4". This will give the hood a very subtle cowl induction look maintaining all the factory lines. The hope is when finished it might look like Ford did this at the factory.

Across the front of the hood.

Down the left side.

Did get the braces cut today that will be welded in to hold the proper shape of the hood when it is cut apart.

67fordtruck

Post by 67fordtruck »

Ya, video of how she runs would be killer!
-1967 F-250 Crew Cab Short Bed
-1975 Jeep CJ5, Daily
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Got the hood cut today. Whose great idea was this anyway?

Now the piece removed.

diznasty

Post by diznasty »

When you installed your crossmember did you have any issues with the bolts and nuts? I ordered factory hardware since my crossmember didnt come with any and i tried test threading the nuts on and they lock up about 2.5 turns onto the bolts. Not sure if there is supposed to be an interference fit like that or not.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Normal. They are lock nuts.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Ran into problems with intermittent brake lights. My turn signal switch had issues that I have been ignoring so I decided now was the time to fix the problems. I first made the mistake of buying the HELP top half of the turn signal switch. This left me with nothing at all. No turn signals or brake lights. The search is on for a turn signal switch. The cheapest 1 I could find was $85. I was not impressed especially since plans call for an Ididit column in the future. Got to thinking & Ford was always good about using the same parts in everything.

I hit the local Pull A Part & started looking around. Came across quite a few potential candidates before settling in on a '77 Thunderbird. For the record tilt turn signal switch is different from straight column switches. Got the steering wheel off & it looked like my worn out switch. Difference was the length of the harness. Even the wires were all the same color. Dropped down the whopping $5.xx & took the switch home. As I thought it was the identical switch. Got it in & had solid light instead of flashing. Off to the parts store to get a flasher & now we have turn signals. Still no brake lights. Got to playing around & 1 of the wires at the plug of the brake light switch broke off. I was getting a hit & miss on it making connection & my snooping got it to finally give up the ghost. A couple shielded female spade connectors & brake lights fixed.

The moral of the story? Don't believe you have to have the exact switch when you need 1. Many times it is nothing more than changing the plug on the end of the harness.
Joshpow
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Joshpow »

the hood is getting my interest sparked!!
Josh

72 F-100 Ranger XLT SWB
71 F-100 Custom SWB
67 F-350 Dually Dump
02 F-250 Stroke
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2972100
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Got some pics of the hood mods to date. Almost ready to put the top back on.

elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

The top of the hood is tacked on now. Won't be long & it will be back on the truck. The tacks across the original seam are temporary. They will be removed & the seam in place when it is all finished.

fbomb100
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fbomb100 »

Hey there elgemcdif .. dude that hood likes like hell!!! I can't let you put that on your truck.. I'm going to save you from that hood!! I'll tell you what I'll do for you.I will send you my clean ready for paint hood to you for FREE to help you out .I will also have the ups guy take your old hood off your hands so its not taking up space in your shop!! :woohoo:

:fr:
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Wow all the way to CA! Now I must say you really are looking out for me going through all that trouble. I am working hard at trying to make it look like Ford built it this way. I can't wait to see it on the truck. I hope it looks as good on the truck as it does in my head.
fbomb100
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fbomb100 »

LOL ... yes i like to see it on my truck "cough" "cough" I mean your truck...jokeing aside its really starting to take shape now!! keep up the good work
superdave06

Post by superdave06 »

Would using that IRS system prevent you from using a rear mounted mustang gas tank?

Great project by the way. I love all the custom work you're doing.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

superdave06 wrote:Would using that IRS system prevent you from using a rear mounted mustang gas tank?

Great project by the way. I love all the custom work you're doing.
You should be able to do the Mustang gas tank with no problem. Sorry for the delay in response. We moved to southern MO & just now got back online.
SATURN5

Post by SATURN5 »

No way a Mustang tank is going to fit on my shortbed with IRS with a stock rear crossmember. Even moved to the ends of the frame and flipped, I'm short almost 3 inches of depth. My plan is a 22 gallon tank, section it 3 inches and baffled for a EFI pump.
Bob
68 F100 Flareside, CVIFS, Cobra IRS, DOHC, M122, MS3, T45, 4.10, Cobra brakes
84 Mustang SVO, B234F, HE351, Full Cobra spec suspension and brakes including IRS, T-tops
96 Mark VIII, Complete chassis bracing, 03 Cobra wheels, Maruader converter, built trans.