1970 F100 CV/Thunderbird

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

e6ug

Re: 1970 F100 CV/Thunderbird

Post by e6ug »

thats what i plan on doing with mine :yt: lol just kidding.. can't wait to see how it turns out.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

e6ug wrote:thats what i plan on doing with mine :yt: lol just kidding.. can't wait to see how it turns out.
It is still a ways away. I am in the bunch of money with nothing to show stage. Rewiring, heavier rear anti sway bar, trans straightened out, engine build, HVAC unit, things like that. Once all that is out of the way a few more body mods roughed in. Then comes the body off. Full frame boxing to start with all suspension detailed prior to assembly. Body will get final body work at that time with paint. Once it is back together the interior goes in. I am caught between original sparse truck look or full out custom street rod style interior. Oh I forgot still have to put the dash in. Wife says she needs a NASCAR style seat that wraps her. Tired of the head hitting the back glass. :evil:

I built this truck this way for 2 reasons. The first was I wanted a truck I could enjoy. It has been 3 yrs & for the most part I have been able to enjoy the truck through every stage. The second reason was to hopefully show younger folks you can do it step by step & little by little & 1 day you will get to your desired build. For someone young just starting out doing a complete tear down will usually never get put back together. They end up with a bunch of money invested but end up selling it for nothing. I thought if I could show you can build it & drive it at the same time younger guys & gals would not be so discouraged.

I prompted none of you but have received compliments through the entire process. I think younger folks seeing this might stop to think "It doesn't have to be perfect". Maybe helping draw the younger crowd in instead of doing the out of the box "tuner" scene. Nothing wrong with that sector just really would like to look down 1 day (or up never can tell about me) & see the hobby of old trucks doing well.
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Ah yes, subtle faded flames wouldn't work well as live fire. Sounds like you have a great plan. Can't wait to see it finished. :thup:

Maybe one day I'll be able to build a 'street' truck worthy of such a paint job. I have some ideas, well, dreams really.
~Heirloom

'68 F250 360, 4 spd Project Thread!
Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Well after some battles with the new cam I think I may be on the downhill side of things. Bent the pushrod on the intake valve for #4. :hmm: Thought maybe I had not got it seated in the rocker properly on assembly so I thought nothing of it. Should have known better I am pretty thorough when I do things like this especially at the prospect of roasting a new cam. Put it all back together & fired her up. Drove decent but didn't seem quite right. Took the right valve cover off & guess what? Yep, bent push rod on the intake valve of #4. :cry: Ok what's going on here. Had a great idea! :thup: Turn the valve cover over Steve & take a look. Yes sir we found it. The intake rocker was hitting the baffle in the valve cover (stock). Pulled the baffle & put it all back together again. Drove ok again but again something just didn't feel right. Gave up for the night. First thing today I bush hogged some (had to throw that in). I pulled both valve covers & low & behold no bent push rods! :D Fired it up without the air cleaner & had a popping sound. Looked out over the top of the carb & we are popping through the carb under acceleration. Great! :cry:

At this point I confirmed my firing order. All good so my gut said pull #4 plug. Well lookie there, we have a soaked plug. Dried it off & set it on fire to burn out any residue. Back together and no popping. :D Getting ready to go try a drive again. I guess I had air trapped somewhere because she is running cooler even today when it is near 90 out there. Still playing with timing trying to find that sweet spot where she will start decent when hot yet give me good performance. She might make it to Branson after all. I had my doubts. Thought it would be another Blazer trip with a registered truck that wasn't actually there.

Funny thing about the 460. You really would not have noticed you were down a cyl. Smoked the tires like it was no effort at all. I am shopping for an Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold if anyone out there has 1 just sitting around unused. My rpm ranges do not match now between the intake & cam.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Just finished fixing the passenger pwr window. I went all out this time. Instead of buying another junkyard motor I got a reman. Next is what I have determined has to heat soak on the starter. I will be putting in a mini starter with a wrap. I think my cam is retarded. I contacted the manufacturer on the timing set as to what "0" is on the set & they are not sure if it is early (true 0) or late which is actually 8 retarded. I thought I would cheat & not degree the cam since Compcams says they grind their cams to be correct (degreed) when timing is at 0. I still have my chain & gears so my master plan is to pull the cover back off & the gear drive out. Put the gears in from the chain & line them up. Then replace the gears with the gear drive set checking each setting (0, +4, +8) until it lines up like the chain did. I will be a nice guy & let the manufacturer know where their timing marks are. Exhaust is definitely next on my list as I do believe the 2" is causing so much restriction the headers are running hotter than before. Since the starter has insecurity issues it has to stay really close to a friend (the right header).
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Just ordered my starter & wrap. If I see them Friday the truck might make it to Branson Saturday. Tall order but we will see. We are still going just may be another Blazer trip. I know, you guys I met in Anderson are really beginning to question if I actually own a Ford truck. I swear 1 day it will show it's face in public.

I told my wife if the truck makes it to Branson I am having someone take a pic of Susan & I with the truck so you guys know we really do have a truck. AL, Greg, Fred, Keith, Robert & everyone else. :P
Alstoyz
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Alstoyz »

Steve. Good luck brother... Wish I could make it to Branson!!! :cry: Work has gotten crazy for me with this heat... I have been acquiring some parts for the crew however. Hope to be getting the front end changed out and the new wheels on soon... :pray:

Be sure and post some pics for us less unfortunate... :D

:fr:
1970 F-100 SWB Tubbed
1971 F-350 4X4 (traded for 71 crewcab)
1971 F-250 Crew-Cab Dually
1972 F-100 SWB 4X4
1972 F-350 Crew-Cab 4X4 Dually
2001 F-350 Crew-Cab Short Bed 4X4 Dually
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

I bet Al. It has been bad here too. I hid yesterday from the heat but am planning on getting more done with the bush hog & mowing today. It's never ending. Blanket shows arriving tomorrow afternoon. No word on starter shipping yet.
TheDude256

Post by TheDude256 »

Awesome thread! Does anybody know if the IRS out of a Lincoln LSC will work on my '79 F100? Any insight would be great.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

TheDude256 wrote:Awesome thread! Does anybody know if the IRS out of a Lincoln LSC will work on my '79 F100? Any insight would be great.
Thanks. I sent a PM on the LSC rear suspension.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Well I have word on the truck. $2900 to do the engine. That is drop the truck off and pick it up driving. Complete rebuild with mods. I do not have the complete list but the block is getting decked to early specs. Bored, crank turned, SCJ valves put in the heads. I am seriously considering sending my heads out to Scotty & getting a set from him or waiting on him to do mine. From what I have read the 460 bottom end will handle up to 15:1 compression ratio. We will be discussing what will be when it comes to compression ratio. Keeping the Thumpr and gear drive. Imagine two old men fighting it out in the parking lot over the gear drive. Greg wants to get rid of it & I want to keep it. The truck is on the south side of Indianapolis and just a few blocks away from a dyno. I am seriously thinking about putting it on the dyno. Trying to make up my mind as to just the engine or wait until it is in the truck and get a RWHP reading. I also need to run it across the scales which are also just down the road. I am curious as to what it weighs compared to Bobby's truck. He runs the I Beam suspension with a 9" rear along with a 460 & C6. I have the 460/C6 combo but with the IRS and the CV IFS. Same wheelbase.
Alstoyz
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Alstoyz »

Hey there Steve. How have ya been? Soundz like ur building a serious power plant for that sweet ride of urz!?!?
1970 F-100 SWB Tubbed
1971 F-350 4X4 (traded for 71 crewcab)
1971 F-250 Crew-Cab Dually
1972 F-100 SWB 4X4
1972 F-350 Crew-Cab 4X4 Dually
2001 F-350 Crew-Cab Short Bed 4X4 Dually
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Alstoyz wrote:Hey there Steve. How have ya been? Soundz like ur building a serious power plant for that sweet ride of urz!?!?
Al life slowed me down a bit but working on having the truck ready for a show in April. Sounds like a ways off but time does fly by if you're not paying attention. I will get some video of it when the time comes.
BlueOvalDave

Post by BlueOvalDave »

Hey Steve, I'm always following your build from a distance cause your always up to something. May I ask, are your headers glowing red at all? I know your aware of the early versus late timing sets for the 460. And I have had several 460 builds and have never run into a heat sink problem with the starters, in fact my Torino's headers are darn near on top of it. They are ceramic coated now but prior to that there was no problem. And there has been plenty of discussion over at 460 ford forum about the bad harmonics revolving around gear drives. I know they sound cool though. Good luck getting it sorted.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

BlueOvalDave wrote:Hey Steve, I'm always following your build from a distance cause your always up to something. May I ask, are your headers glowing red at all? I know your aware of the early versus late timing sets for the 460. And I have had several 460 builds and have never run into a heat sink problem with the starters, in fact my Torino's headers are darn near on top of it. They are ceramic coated now but prior to that there was no problem. And there has been plenty of discussion over at 460 ford forum about the bad harmonics revolving around gear drives. I know they sound cool though. Good luck getting it sorted.
Headers always looked fine. Replacing with a high torque mini seems to have resolved the issue. I didn't want to try a standard starter and burn it up right away. Time will tell. The headers are tight.