1970 F100 CV/Thunderbird

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 1970 F100 CV/Thunderbird

Post by elgemcdlf »

Well barring any major interruptions she will run tonight. All I lack is changing the oil & putting the grille back in. I got pulled away from it this morning as my father wanted to go into West Plains for a few things.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Well she runs. Here is how break in went. Compcams says they want 2000 - 2500 varied for 30 minutes upon startup. The gear drive set said low rpm to verify nothing was wrong. Then we have the cooling system wanting the thermostat to open to bleed air. Decided to go with Compcams since it was the bulk of the money. I managed to get 15 of the 30 minutes of break-in before she got hot. 85 ambient temp with a clutch fan left me with no air flow. No problem with the gear set. Whining away as it should be. I now am calling it a night & will get back at it in the morning after she cools completely down. Still do not know if she will idle with present settings. I will make adjustments in the morning. Wife says she sounds meaner. She heard me start the truck up & said she couldn't believe it was our truck. Once I get this cam thing worked out I am doing a 3" exhaust.

During the brief break-in time I will say she ran from 2000 rpm to 3500 rpm in a heartbeat. Throttle response seems at this point much faster than the factory cam.
Last edited by elgemcdlf on Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
chad67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by chad67 »

I am jealous! My cam is resting quietly in my house waiting to raise....uh...lifters. I am on my way to go camping, and right now I am about 20ish miles from West Plaines. I grew up just over the border on Hwy 63 and went to the Glass Sword to watch movies. Beautiful country to view out the window of an old truck, my friend!
1967 F100 SWB
1991 Thunderbird 5.0 with fully ported gt40 heads, cobra intake (also ported) and a trickflow stage 2 cam, manual steering, and custom 3" exhaust
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

It is pretty country. The property borders the Mark Twain National Forest on the north side. The entire west side is all woods as well. I will get it all dialed in this morning & take it for a test drive.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Well as I figured when I was buttoning everything up I found the half lock I dropped when doing the valve springs. I have a complete set of 611-16 (Compcams) valve spring locks if anyone needs them. They are new never installed. $15 + shipping.
johnboy72
Location: FOB Sharana, Afghanistan but missing Branson, Mo (Originally from Watertown, NY)

Post by johnboy72 »

Nice progress. Found this thread searching for the Crown Vic setup. I too have that dash...mine has been sitting on the wall ever since I yanked it out of my grandma's Fairlane before it was removed from the farm.
Alstoyz
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Alstoyz »

Steve.
Howz the truck liking the new cam??? :D You gonna make it to the Branson show? If ya do, be sure 2 take and post plenty of pics for those of us lesfortunate "bump folks" !!! :lol:

:fr:
1970 F-100 SWB Tubbed
1971 F-350 4X4 (traded for 71 crewcab)
1971 F-250 Crew-Cab Dually
1972 F-100 SWB 4X4
1972 F-350 Crew-Cab 4X4 Dually
2001 F-350 Crew-Cab Short Bed 4X4 Dually
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Well Al when she got hot I figured it was a great time to set timing. Well all I managed to do was cook the cable down to the starter. In the process it also cooked the solenoid. It is mounted to the starter like a GM. Being in the woods here in MO I pick up the solenoid today. I did manage to get it to idle before the solenoid gave up the ghost. I think I am still a bit low though so that will come up a bit. I believe I have timing good. Might have to back it off a little. We should be back running this evening. It will be my 1st drive with the new cam. It sounds quite a bit louder. We are still planning on making Branson on the 12th.
johnboy72
Location: FOB Sharana, Afghanistan but missing Branson, Mo (Originally from Watertown, NY)

Post by johnboy72 »

Whats on the 12th?
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Show Me F100s has a show in Branson, MO. The actual show itself is on the 13th. Since it is a pretty fair drive for us we are going in on the 12th.

http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 10&t=70828
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Alstoyz wrote:Steve.
Howz the truck liking the new cam??? :D You gonna make it to the Branson show? If ya do, be sure 2 take and post plenty of pics for those of us lesfortunate "bump folks" !!! :lol:

:fr:
She is still running hot. Did get it out for a test drive last night & it got hot. This problem started right now. Pulled the radiator & flushed it out forwards & back. I had flushed it forwards prior to assembly. Verified the thermostat is opening. Filled the block via thermostat opening & plan on having it back together later to see how it does. It is more responsive in higher rpm range than I am accustom to. I have tons of torque in the low rpm range & now it seems like it doesn't come in until after about 2000 rpm. I will know more once I nail down this cooling issue. I may have to break down & actually put a timing light on it. Just to rule out timing as the problem.
johnboy72

Post by johnboy72 »

elgemcdlf wrote:Show Me F100s has a show in Branson, MO. The actual show itself is on the 13th. Since it is a pretty fair drive for us we are going in on the 12th.

http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 10&t=70828

Damn, so jealous. Yeah, I used to attend some of the shows around the area. Used to cruise Branson and tear it up in my old 72. Well might have to have the wifey take my youngest to the show to get some ideas for our future father-son build.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Well I don't want to jump too soon but I may have the overheating issue resolved. I haven't gone far with it but so far all looks good. I have to get accustom to the shift in power range. I was in the idle to roughly 2500 before which really laid you back on take off. Now she comes in starting at about 1800 or so. From a dead stop she did smoke the tires through 1st & 2nd gear. I backed off when it hit 3rd. I will have to look around for an intake that better matches the cam. Next on my list though is the exhaust. It is the old 2" from when the 302 was is it. Probably be a Performer RPM since it seems to be the most recommended up to 550 hp. I will have to look at dyno charts for it vs. the cam I have. Trying to stay in a dual plane intake as long as possible since it is a street driven truck.
chad67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by chad67 »

You may want to go to a higher stall converter if you haven't already. A stock converter will aggravate the lower RPM lag and the severity of the kick in when you hit the sweet spot of your cam. I am running a Trickflow stage 2 in my 5.0 Tbird and I still have the stock converter in my AOD. From a standstill, it has that "we're going pretty good" feeling until about 2500 RPMs and almost like a switch goes off and it says "holy crap! Let's get outta here!" I have a 2800 stall converter for it and a rebuilt AOD, but as it's my daily driver, getting it in has been elusive. Just something to look at especially if you do the OD swap.
1967 F100 SWB
1991 Thunderbird 5.0 with fully ported gt40 heads, cobra intake (also ported) and a trickflow stage 2 cam, manual steering, and custom 3" exhaust
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

chad67 wrote:You may want to go to a higher stall converter if you haven't already. A stock converter will aggravate the lower RPM lag and the severity of the kick in when you hit the sweet spot of your cam. I am running a Trickflow stage 2 in my 5.0 Tbird and I still have the stock converter in my AOD. From a standstill, it has that "we're going pretty good" feeling until about 2500 RPMs and almost like a switch goes off and it says "holy crap! Let's get outta here!" I have a 2800 stall converter for it and a rebuilt AOD, but as it's my daily driver, getting it in has been elusive. Just something to look at especially if you do the OD swap.
I plan on a higher stall convertor but have been waiting on finding the correct arms for the C6. It came from a car & I need the truck arms. I can not get to L or utilize the kickdown with the present setup. It is just a never ending process.