Basketcase#16-once in a lifetime build-now gone. :-(

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Basketcase#16 has tilt steering now! Pictures to follow soon

Post by basketcase0302 »

Coupla' months since an update. Getting used to the cold weather, (have to work on BC# 16 outside-no carport or shelter of any kind here). :(
I did get the 79' tilt steering columns turn signal switch wiring graphed into the 71's wiring harness today finally, (all my connections soldered with heat shrink tubing). I had to change the wiring to the rear brake lights at my relay box, (I had these hooked up wrong originally when I mounted the relay box). :lol:
The turn signals are working fine-front and rear-via the tilt column prersently.
I'll take some time soon to edit the tilt thread I started with what I've found, (documented wire for wire) on the wiring of the tilt into my 71'. :thup:
I have not, (and might not) hook up the 79 columns hazard switch. And I have not completed my horn wiring via the tilt column, (yet I know the horn wiring through the tilt column is good). Really hoping tomorrow ends with the firewall clamp back on the column under the hood, and the column being sealed to the firewall so I can finally drive the truck again. :pray:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Glad to see you back at it Jeff. Looking forward to that tilt column wiring write up. I'd like to put tilt in mine because I've accepted that my bellies getting bigger with so sign of going down any time soon. :oops:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 67mann »

basketcase0302 wrote:Coupla' months since an update. Getting used to the cold weather, (have to work on BC# 16 outside-no carport or shelter of any kind here). :(
You Southern boy's :eek: :P ...gotta come farther north..been a balmy 35-40 up here :lol: Good to see your still at though :thup:
I've had enough and I'm not alone
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii304/67mann/
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Randy, BC#16 aint' kicked my @ss yet man! Sometimes I wonder though...
Jerry, it was a "balmy" 67 here today man! I was "sunbathing" on the back porch, (till the neighbors called the cops on me for indecent exposure that is)... :lol:

Oh Lord...drove BC#16 for the first time in a few weeks today and had my hands full! First I found out that my defroster and wipers don't like working at the same time, (pretty heavy frost here this morning). So I've got a fuse or power supply issue there to deal with, (intermittent operation). Been-there-done that...
Then she was riding like a pogo stick on steroids... :hw:
Another "been there-done that" as last time I checked my air bags were leaking down. :doh:
So...just when i think BC#16 is once again "roadworthy"-NOT!
But she did successfully haul home some very badly needed materials in the process! :thup:
Jeff
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Hey, even Rocky Balboa had to take a few punches to win the title. Our trucks are like owning a spirited wild bronco. When you first get in after a long while off, they like to buck around and try to throw you off. Just hang on, dig in your spurs, and ride it! She'll straighten up in a minute and respect you for it. :lol:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 67mann »

basketcase0302 wrote: Jerry, it was a "balmy" 67 here today man! I was "sunbathing" on the back porch, (till the neighbors called the cops on me for indecent exposure that is)... :lol:
Jeff....thats just wrong :doh: on so many levels :eek: :lol:

Keep pluggin away.....I really look forward to my full maiden ride in the 67 and :pray: it doesn't give me fit's :wink:
I've had enough and I'm not alone
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii304/67mann/
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Alright...one month later, (and I wasn't really indecent Jerry) LOL. :lol:
Finally got my new primary ignition wire ran today, (soldered with heat shrink tubing and wire loom insulated). Should be worry free for awhile now. I'm gonna start a few short trips in the near future, (to get her ready for a haul to the F100 show) if I can get the time off from work. Still have a few other "bugs" to get out of her-but she should make the trip. :pray:
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

I hope she makes it! I'd love see her "in the flesh". :doh:
Randy
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

As Desi Arnez would say..."Lucy, we got problems!"
Went to hop into the truck this morning, (go cut down a "tree" for my aging Mother) and it wouldn't start! Real glad I hadn't loaded the chainsaw and gas cans and all the other stuff I needed before trying to start it!
Battery "deader than a doornail" as the saying goes. :hw:
I know this probably coincides with two weeks ago when i found I'd left the heated mirror switch left on, (gonna have to have a talk with my dog about her leaving the switch on)! :lol:
I've got a trickle charger on it / will test it tomorrow / afraid to put the load tester on it... :(
Probably time for a new wallyworld battery. :doh:
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Basketcase#16 battery issues-dog left the heated mirrors on

Post by sargentrs »

And who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? I think you should make him pay for a new battery. He broke it, he should fix it.
Randy
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

sargentrs on Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:30 pm
And who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? I think you should make him pay for a new battery. He broke it, he should fix it.
Alright so here almost 3 months later I still haven't changed my battery, it's been working fine until today...
Loaded the push mower up onto BC # 16 to take to my elderly parents "billy goat" property to mow.
Truck started fine...
Made the 15 mile trip there uneventful...
Mowed the yard-loaded the mower for the trip back home...
Truck won't start..."click-click" is all I hear, (and of course it's pretty hot in the sun where I parked too)! :cry:
Try to jump start it..."click-click".
Crawl up under it to find one of my "unknown how many Fords I've had it on" parts, (battery cable from solenoid to starter has broken at the eyelet terminal end. So the cable is dangling in air! :doh:
Real creative with a 1/2" metal conduit strap, (the cable is now too short to wrap around the terminal) and a pair of vise grips to get it started and to the parts store. :woohoo:
Then time to pull the inner PS rear off, (been a slow leak there for a few months). Scrub and rinse the tire to find what I didn't want to see. :( Gonna have to throw a can of fixaflat into it and hope for the best for awhile. :pray:
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Can't blame that one on the dog this time Jeff. :lol: That's what I love about our trucks. A busted battery cable, a conduit clamp, a pair of vise grips and drive it to the parts store. Do THAT with a new car! :wink:
Randy
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Yeah Randy, I was actually looking at using a wire coat hanger for a small length of wire, (just to get it started the one time I needed) to make it to the parts store LOL!
I can see all the ricemobiles running like a dog with it's tail between it's legs if a coat hanger got anywhere near them LOL! :lol:
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Yep, I keep coat hangers and duct tape in my "roadside emergency kit". What's interesting to note is that I put 2 coat hangers and a roll of duct tape in my toolbox and they never leave it. 7 years later, I'm down to 1 and a piece coat hangers and half a roll of duct tape and they've only been used on my truck. :hmm: :D Btw, the bed sides look great on her!
Randy
Kurt Combs
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Kurt Combs »

I added a camper special front sway bar today, might be the best single thing I have done to my 72 F250 (other than a 460). I haven't driven it much, but it seems to steer much better with less of a tendency to wonder. It also seems to have less tire bounce which has been a problem every since I removed my old Michelins and added new MasterCraft tires and later model rims. I didn't notice any big difference in cornering, but it didn't seems to lean much in corners before. I am curious to see what happens when I lift the truck tomorrow to do the front brakes. It looks to me like the bar will try to keep the axles from dropping, or at least from swinging closer together. I assume it must work okay, it is an original Ford part.
Kurt
1972 F-250