Fordmans 71 4wd woods truck

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Fordmans 71 4wd woods truck

Post by fordman »

i fixed my dash light problem today too. the headlight switch rheostat was missing so no dash lights. i replaced the switch using or trying to use a new dash bezel tool i got. and i replced the headlight switch. the tool worked good for putting the used switch in. but it wouldnt break loose the old dirty bezel. i had to use my screwdriver to get it out with. i also removed the aux tank switch and the gas gauge works again. i have a little over 1/4 tank now. 20.00 goes along way in these trucks. :lol:
i also picked up a set of almost brand new looking exhaust pipes i was talking about. they were on a 79 F150 4wd with a 351m/400 in it. the truck had headers. i cut the colletor adapter off the drivers side pipe and now i just have to get the correct fitting for my fe manifold and clamp it to the new pipe i hope. or weld it would be better. that is tomorrows plan. i will get pics of the pipes and mufflers tomorrow. they weighed 52 pounds pipes mufflers and all. i carried them on both shoulders from the back of the yard ot the front. my shoulders hurt when i tried to put them down.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

no nothing. only mad.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

snow and cold today. new snow from last night. im going to cut wood this weekend whether the truck is ready or not. it is going with me. i am tired of wearing my coat sitting here.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

i am tired of wearing my coat sitting here.

I'm doing the same thing :yt: but nowhere near what ya'll are going through.
It's my save electricity or it'll get shut off thing! :(
I'll have the same problem with exhaust too, (got my 79' I've got to adapt to make work). :hw:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

on top of it all i maybe getting sick. i cant tell yet. my head is hot and i am coughing. but the coughing may be the change in cigarettes too. anyway my sinuses are plugging up and creating pressure. so i do have the signs of getting sick but it hasnt really happened yet. but i am tired and grochy as heck. i know i have been putting the almost sick mood into the forums too.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

well i still have a head cold for sure. but i got the truck into dads shop today and went to town. i put the truck up on the lift. i put the drivers side radius arm bushing on it. the passenger side didnt need one. i had a good one. the drivers side was completely gone. except for the washers. i took off the passenger exhaust y pipe. and got the measurements for putting the passenger and drivers side home made adapters onto my new duals i got from a 79 351m. it does look like the 73 manifold that is on this truck does have wider studs coming out of the manifold. the studs are 3 3/4 center to center and the 70 engine manifold i have at home is 3 3/8 center to center for the studs. so i need to find a flange to fit this manifold. i go tthe parking brake cable hooked up not completely adjusted correctly. i got the bump stop on the rear frame about the axle on the passenger side put on. i now need to find the drivers side bump stop. i can't remember where i put it at. i also tried to get the brake bleeder on the passenger front loose again. no way i dont think. i may just replace the wheel cylinder. it may be easier than trying to break my knuckles on something. we will see. i also removed some rusted off bolts that i had been trying to get off. i also got the drivers side pipe and muffler hanging under the truck with 1 hanger and a rope on the muffler end. i will have to fab something up to mount the back of the muffler. it comes out in the wrong place. it looks like the drivers side exhaust is going to hang below the frame and transfer case. almost as low as the front and back pumkins. i hope it doesnt tear anythign up if i have to leave it that low. i also got the driver side headlight bucket back in the adjuster so now the headlight doesnt point down.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

Sounds like it's coming right along Fordman, :thup: . Got any pics of it now it's together?
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

not any good ones or full ones. i took a picture of how the exhaust should fit under the truck today. it is still on my phone though. it is still ugly. i have four different colors of paint on the body. black red (well five) aqua swiss grey primer and some sort of dark blue. i am thinking of still swapping the bed for a better one i have. but it also has its faults too. so that would eliminate black and red right there. except for the drivers door. it is black outside and red inside. the primer on the hood and the dark blue may come off and show the cab colors of aqua swiss and white if i scrub the paint off just right. they didnt do a real good paint job over the factory paint. but it does look to have red primer under the paint on the top of the truck. i probably wont post a pic until it looks a little more presentable. maybe after i get it put together further. the whoel front clip is just a few bolts only half tight. :lol: because its not lined up and i still want to take the fenders off and repair them. just for looks.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

In other words the truck has lots of character. :wink:
Probably don't want to put too good a bed on it anyway if it's going to be a wood hauler. :thup:
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i don't know it is a toss up really. we will see what we can get done today with it. hopefully the guy bent the exhaust pipe for me today. he said check back this afternoon.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

not much done today. i figured out what was wrong with the tail lights. the wires came apart in the back. i am going to have to replace them. i'm glad i have been saving them up and not selling those harnesses. i rigged them back together today. tomorrow i may swap from front to back all the wiring for the brake and tail lights. i also thought i figured out the reverse lights. one of them didnt have a bulb in it. i put a used bulb in the only one i could get the lens off of and it wouldn't work. i don't know if the wiring has to be plugged in a certain way or not. but it is there and it is in good condition. i will see if i can test it for power tomorrow. it could be the housing sockets for all i know. the one looked worn down. i may try to put in a new socket wire thingy. what ever its called. the exhaust pipes weren't ready today. so i wasted a trip really. i also put on my drivers side rear bump stop too. i skipped using washers. i just bolted it directly to the frame. i'm not going to be that rough with this truck so i won't have to worry about the extra flex ford put into the bump stop plate. oh i got my rearview mirror tighten down on the windshield. and stupid me didnt locate it properly. it sits off the the drivers side too much of the sun visor will now hit it when i flip the visor down. how nice. well other than what i didn't get to work on. that was all for today. i need to get the exhaust on tomorrow. if possible. change the passenger headlight out. find out why the passenger side parking light won't work now. and install the drivers parking light.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

the drivers side exhaust pipe is on. on it is quite as heck from what i can tell. the passenger side is next. i didnt figure the pipe right i had made and it needs bent a little to make the other dual fit . i should have it on tomorrow and have a nice quite truck instead of something you needed ear plugs to drive. i had a second and was checking the reverse light too. a different bulb didnt fix it. i did have power to the socket but i am not sure if it was enough or not. it should have atleast glowed dully if it wasnt enough i would have though.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

weeee. well it has exhaust now. the passneger side dount leaks because i got the nuts on lopsided. so the top on is loose while the bottom nut is tight.

oh but hang on for the good news. i get to start all over. i lost a rod on the way home. something came loose and it started clacking loud. it is a rod for sure. its not a click its a knock. hopefully i can do a quick engine swap in the mud and cold here at home. the truck is sitting on the highway right now. i do not think the water that sat in the engine was the reason it went out. but who knows it could have been. the oil was clean. not milky. the last time i checked it. before i made the trip down to the shop. it was a little over full too. who knows. at this point in time it doesnt matter how or why. what matters is can i get it going again in a day and a half. i kind of doubt it.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

well i have another engine but i only have gravel to work on. so pulling and replacing the engine would be some work. but if i have to i will do it.
so far i pulled the pan pickup tube and pump. the pan had some grime in the bottom of it. i was kind of surpriced. the pickup tube wasnt plugged but it had the same grime on the screen. the pump looked good inside. no grime. and wasnt broken the pump shaft looked good and it turned when the motor did. i cleaned everything and put it back after checking the rods to see if they were broken or loose on the journals. they didnt have any side to side slop that i could find. they did have front to back movement. quite a bit more than i would have liked but nothing i am going to mess with right now.
i have also pulled both valve covers and the engine does run. it runs kind of crappy. but not too bad though for a used worn engine. i still now have a intermitent knocking slight squeak sound. (not a fan belt) it stil sounds like a rod. i have a timing chain i am thinking about putting in it. that will help it run better i think and may get rid of the noise unless i can find something else wrong. it sounds like a rod but it is not making the noise all the time now. when i pulled the pan i did a oil and filter change to see if that was part of the problem. i am thinking now that the oiling system doesn't work as good as it di. it may be clogged. i am not gettign hugh amounts of oil with the valve covers off and the engine running. i would like to get this running with this enigne until summer. and then i can park the truck and do a engine swap.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

looks like the rods or main bearings are bad. i can still here the noise and it wasnt coming from the timing chain. although the timing chain was done for. it was so overstretched i am suprised it ran at all.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.