67 F100 Crown Vic suspension, Diesel engine, disc brakes

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

carcrafter22

Re: 67 F100 Crown Vic suspension, Diesel engine, disc brakes

Post by carcrafter22 »

67 F100 sc/sb 07 Crown Vic IFS, 94 Lincoln Mark 8 IRS, isuzu 3.9L diesel w/ HY35 & HX 52 compound turbos and 370cc custom injection pump,T56 6spd trans, 18" 07 dodge magnumm wheels, old air products A/C (for a 66 mustang LOL). 32 mpg's so far, around town
Thunderfoot
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Thunderfoot »

Looking good :thup: not much room around the master cylinder is there :eek:
Shayne
I'm not "Brand Loyal" Ford-Chevy-Dodge-Toyota I have them all, one even cross mixed...
If it Looks good and Works good then it's ok by me. Everything has its issues from time to time...

69 SWB (project) & 69 Highboy (driver/project)
http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa29 ... d%20truck/
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10399
carcrafter22

Post by carcrafter22 »

Thanks Shayne but what do you mean? I can fit lots of things around that master cylinder wire, greased bb's, water, air ummm.... LOL

I still need to make a stainless steel shield to protect the master cylinder and reservoir from all the exhuast parts. I am also still looking into moving them both under the dash so I have more room and it looks cleaner under the hood.

Randy
67 F100 sc/sb 07 Crown Vic IFS, 94 Lincoln Mark 8 IRS, isuzu 3.9L diesel w/ HY35 & HX 52 compound turbos and 370cc custom injection pump,T56 6spd trans, 18" 07 dodge magnumm wheels, old air products A/C (for a 66 mustang LOL). 32 mpg's so far, around town
Thunderfoot
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Thunderfoot »

Hey Randy,
Yeah I'm thinking that you are going to have some heat issues there. :lol:
Here are a couple of links I found for some ideas, if you haven't seen them already...
http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/hanging_ ... blies.html
http://www.kugelkomponents.com/products ... ystem.html
Kind of a fancy mouse trap but it should work if there is enough room under the dash...

Looking forwards to your next video of it running on the road again. :thup:
Shayne
I'm not "Brand Loyal" Ford-Chevy-Dodge-Toyota I have them all, one even cross mixed...
If it Looks good and Works good then it's ok by me. Everything has its issues from time to time...

69 SWB (project) & 69 Highboy (driver/project)
http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa29 ... d%20truck/
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10399
carcrafter22

Post by carcrafter22 »

Thanks, I have been looking at that kugel setup for a while. I to call them and talk about it. I will get a price when I do. I have another 67 f100 in my shop so I may just wind up using it for a moch up piece and see if I can make my own setup. I will have to measure the underside of the dash to see if it will even fit.

Thanks again
Randy
carcrafter22

Post by carcrafter22 »

Here is a teaser of the valve cover, I still have to finish the base plate, cut the main part and make the end pieces. I am going to make the end pieces rounded for a little more style.

70shortwide

Post by 70shortwide »

lookin badass, as always
carcrafter22

Post by carcrafter22 »

I still need to sand the welds down smooth and the rest of the valve cover. I think it turned out well overall though, I am very happy with it.

Calvin Gunter
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Calvin Gunter »

All that valve cover needs now is to have carcrafter22 welded across the top.Just kidding,Looks absolutely great.
1967 Ranger,Short bed,390,C-6,9 inch,4 BBL.,intake,cam,headers,3:55 Posi.,A/C,Power steering,Power Disc Brakes,Automatic trans.DJM dropped I-beams,flipped rear hangers,headlight harness upgrade.ExTang tonneau cover "Old Blue".
http://s508.photobucket.com/albums/s328/BigSxy96/
1967 Base model,352,2bbl.,3 on the tree,short bed,3:25 9 inch "Rusty".
1967 Mustang coupe-show car/garage queen.Small Block,alum. heads,Nitrous,4:11Locker,Areospace brakes "Mystang".
1996 F-250 Powerstroke-Big intake,exhaust,injectors.(Nice Smoke Show) "Big Sexy"
carcrafter22

Post by carcrafter22 »

Yeah I am still thinking of what to engrave in the top of it.

Here is the new hydraboost and master cylinder location, I know its hard to see but thats how I wanted it. I mainly did this because the hydraboost lines were touching the exhaust and the whole setup was encased in high heat, now its out of the way for a cleaner look and no more high heat.

Here is my new master cylinder, big isnt it LOL.

robgus

Post by robgus »

Looks great!!! I have had my 03 CV front end for over a year now but have not had time to start it yet. I was wondering what steering shaft you used to go from the column to the rack and pinion? And will that work on my 69 column or do I have to update to mid seventies unit? Thanks
69 F100 SWB
Excursion745

Post by Excursion745 »

awesome build.. really cool and helpful thread.. keep up the good work..
carcrafter22

Post by carcrafter22 »

I havent updated this thread in a while so here is what I have been up to over the past month or so.

I am going with the T56 and got it installed today, I still have to setup the hydraulic clutch setup, I will be using an external slave and master from a jeep setup. The driveshaft will need to be shortened about 1.5" and a new crossmember will need to be made.

Without further adoo I give you more great work from Booty Fab Productions LMAO!

I found a pilot bushing at autozone that had the proper ID for the ford T56 and a slightly larger OD, we had to shave about .020 off to make it fit. Here at booty fab production we strive for the very best in booty fab LOL but hey it works great. Notice the high end Booty Fab mill.

Here is a before shot of the aluminum chevy adapter with a 1983 10.5" chevy flywheel from a camaro, I had to use this small flywheel to fit inside the small ford flywheel. This will allow me to use the ford clutch and a chevy pressure plate for an easy bolt in setup.

Here is the same shot as before but with the new adapter made from 1/2" steel, we cut the chevy bolt pattern then mocked up a ford T5 bellhousing so we could use a dial indicator to find center, when we found center we just marked the holes and drilled the ford pattern. The 1/2" thick plate also located the depth of the flywheel perfectly so only 1 spacer (the bellhousing adapter) was needed for a fairly simple bolt in setup. This is also good since I havent had to modify the chevy adapter so when I go to the T56 magnum in the future with the chevy bellhousing it will be a simple bolt in and allow me to use a larger flywheel with a bigger clutch.

Heres the booty fab productions adapter HAHA

Here is the T56 6spd bolted to the truck waiting on a few more things to get it back on the road. I am very excited to get ripping through the gears.

Booty Fab Productions is a ficticious company and only a little joke for me and some friends.

Here is my fancy new shifter, the ball is a Tremec polished aluminum 6 spd ball that has the pattern and tremec lettering engraved on the side. the shaft is a polished aluminum tie rod for a circle track car.

Here is the new crossmember for the T56, I bent it out of 1 5/8" tubing and 3/16" plate using a buddies tubing bender. This crossmember is much stronger than the old one I used for the 700r4.

Took the first test drive with the T56 today and it went ok but the clutch is slipping so I need to do some adjustment to the hydraulic clutch and all should be fine. The steeda shifter makes for a nice close pattern shift and the T56 is shifting as smooth as ever. I still have a few things left to do like adjust the Ebrake cable, mod a crossmemeber,etc.

We also started on the head gasket this evening. We made good progress despite all the BSing that went on as usual LOL but if your not having a good time whats the point of all of this.Right?

We did a thorough inspection of all the parts and cleaned everything while it was apart. I am happy to say all parts looked to be in excellent condition except the head gasket since it was clearly blown on cylinders 1 and 2. The cylinders looked to be in excellent condition with a great cross hatch pattern as well as the pistons being in great shape.We got it all cleaned up and put on the new head gasket, we will have it all finished up tomorrow and able to finish up the last couple trans parts and should be back on the road.

I have decided to go back down to a single turbo for now so I dont tear this trans up (or burn the clutch up too fast). I will go back to twins as soon as I can afford to install a beefier tranny but for now with work being slow$5k for a tranny setup is out of the question and I want this thing to go back to being reliable for a while. I will be playing with the holset VGT turbo I have laying around in the next few weeks but it will be a single turbo ride for a while unless I fall into some project money soon LOL.

Here we are pulling the head, My buddies Dave (sitting on the fender) Ron (blue shirt) and me (brown shirt leaning over the truck)

here is the head you can see the water, it shows where the gasket was blown.

Me modeling the fancy new head gasket, its perdy.

Hydraulic clutch is from an S10 with a custom made hydraulic line from the local hardware store, master cylinder is new from a 94 jeep wrangler. The best part is the whole setup cost me about $115 for master, slave and line all new.

T56 installed, I had to shorten the driveshaft a little but it was a simple fix. I like the fact that I have the gear ratios I want now and lost a few pounds going to a manual now, oh yeah and the fact that I dont have to worry about ever dealing with a 700R4 ever again. YAY!!! Now I just need to drive this thing around for a few more miles to make sure I really want a standard, if I decide to give it the permanent green light I will be ordering a T56 6spd from rockland gear that will handle 1200hp and 1000tq, plenty for my little 4 banger even with the twins.

Been driving the 6spd around for a little while and I like it alot, the gear ratios are perfect in everyway so far. I am going to swap in some 3.73 gears for a little more performance and to bring the rpms up so I can actually start using 6th gear. Right now I cant use 6th gear since it lugs the motor down to around 1300rpm even at 70mph.

I satarted installing some A/C today. I had a brand new old air products A/C system for my 66 mustang sitting in my shop but since I havent been messing with my mustang lately I figured the truck needed the a/c more than it did so its going in. I am very happy with the look of it so far, its much more compact than any of the current offerings for a 67-72F100 truck and it should more than cool the single cab even in the 100*+ heat of Texas. I like how it all sits in one tight little package on the passenger side instead of taking up the entire underside of the dash like original and aftermarket a/c systems do. I am considering moving the vents from under the dash to inside the dash for more of a custom and cleaner look. If I choose to put the vents in the dash I will put the 3 center vents where the original heater knobs are (just under the radio) and install the 2 corner vents (the ones by the doors) as far the the edge of the dash as I can. I think this would make for a nicer look but for now this setup will work.

Here is a pic for reference, I will post more later on as I make more progress.

dablack00
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dablack00 »

Looks great. I have been wanting to go with a manual trans on my 460 powered 71 for years but the C6 is working great so....

I also used an Old Air Products system in my truck but it was the kit for our truck. It sits up much higher than the mustang kit you used. I'm still finishing the paint so I'm still not sure how well it works yet. One problem with it mounting so high is that the defrost tubes are all but impossible to put on.

Have fun
Austin
817MIKEC

Post by 817MIKEC »

Sweet truck! dude you have done an amazing job on that truck, :thup: your truck reminded me of the Ford GT the rear suspension looks like yours! :D I also like what you have done with the twin turbos that is awesome, can't wait to see it all completed! keep up the good work. :fr:
1967 Ford F-100 Shortbed 390 V8