67 F100 Crown Vic suspension, Diesel engine, disc brakes

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

OldRedFord
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: 67 F100 Crown Vic suspension, Diesel engine, disc brakes

Post by OldRedFord »

Probably a dumb question. If the hydraboost booster is on the passenger side, what triggers the brakes? Or did I miss something?
Tim

1972 F350 flatbed drw c6/390
1967 F600 project truck
carcrafter22

Post by carcrafter22 »

Thanks guys.

I like the old air setup just fine but I dont think I care for the service at old air products, they are about 10 minutes from my house and I have been there twice now and talked to them on the phone 3 times, everytime I talk to them I get the feeling they arent happy unless I am spending money with them. I have been talking with tme about different controls but they only want to sell me something and almost refuse to discuss ideas unless I am buying something. They dont understand I have to make a choice before I just buy something. I dont like a company that wants to just take my money and run only to come back for more money instead of advice for a customer that has spent alot of money with them already.

OldRedFord, I was going to put the hydraboost on the passenger side but at the last minute I decided to go to a dual reservoir brake system from wilwood brakes. I am using two 7/8" bore master cylinders, one controlls the fronts and the other controlls the rear brakes, it works very well and is extremely compact. Each master cylinder is only 3 3/4" long with remote reservoirs makeing up the most compact master cylinders in the industry.

You can see the brakes setup in the pic below ( thats my 3 yaer old daughter Katelynn working on her truck, she loves it)

67 F100 sc/sb 07 Crown Vic IFS, 94 Lincoln Mark 8 IRS, isuzu 3.9L diesel w/ HY35 & HX 52 compound turbos and 370cc custom injection pump,T56 6spd trans, 18" 07 dodge magnumm wheels, old air products A/C (for a 66 mustang LOL). 32 mpg's so far, around town
carcrafter22

Post by carcrafter22 »

So I got it all working today, I still need to figure out the controls I am going to use but for now it works well, I need to install the driversided vent and ducting as well as decide on the actual controls so I dont just ahve a couple switches hanging out of the dash but its nice having a/c in the old bump.

I am happy about how compact everything is and how its a complete kit, the hoses were long enough to run under the motor along my aluminum crossmember and the the compressor mounted on the lower part of the motor making for a pretty clean look.

The controls are simple enough that I could make the stock 67 pull knobs work but I dont really care for them anyway and this truck is so custom its not like they need to be there to maintain the proper "look" of the truck so they are getting tossed. I am currently looking around for some cool looking controls mostly looking in 50-60's model cars and trucks. I still may just go with some 66 mustang controls in place of the ash tray since its getting welded up anyway.

The unit blows pretty cold and is pretty quiet, I cant beileve how queit the cab is now with the windows up and I still have to fill in the huge hole in the floor for the shifter and several quarter size holes in the firewall that arent being used anymore. I guess my dynamat is really doing its job well I can only imagine how well it will work once I dynamat the doors and roof not to mention add some insulation and carpet.

Here are some pics.

Yes I know the engine bay looks like crap now but I dont care, I will be painting the truck soon and when I do the engine and trans is coming out to finish boxing the frame and a full detailing of the engine and engine bay will go along with the new paint job so it all looks good as new (err... better than new hopefully)
67 F100 sc/sb 07 Crown Vic IFS, 94 Lincoln Mark 8 IRS, isuzu 3.9L diesel w/ HY35 & HX 52 compound turbos and 370cc custom injection pump,T56 6spd trans, 18" 07 dodge magnumm wheels, old air products A/C (for a 66 mustang LOL). 32 mpg's so far, around town
fuzzier1
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by fuzzier1 »

All I can say is WOW! :eek: This is looking great. Do you have a break down on how to do the rearend? Also I have been planning on a Mustang II frontend.... that went out the window tonight. What year of Crown Vics have this frontend as I plan on junk yard hunting this Saturday? Also what models and years have the IRS like you put under this? I am REALLY getting the bug of starting on my bump and what I see here it is much more affordable than I thought by going the Crown Vic route. So anyone please let us know what years to look for.

Thanks

Fuzz
JG F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JG F100 »

I was looking at those wheels too and I was ready to order but they have very little back spacing options for the rear. Looks good, I'm guessing your rear is wider than stock.

I just cut a coil and half from my CV IFS and it seemed to have dropped a little over an inch more, ended up with some negative camber. I'll try to post some pics later. I also noticed when I had the strut out and jacking up the lower control arm to see how far up it would go up that the sway bar was holding it back. Any lower and I'm thinking the sway bar needs to be addressed.
72 F100 - SWB conversion w/05 crown vic IFS, 8.8 rear w/disc, 20s, 360FE w/overdrive
Project Page: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=37897
carcrafter22

Post by carcrafter22 »

Thanks for the info jg. I am probably goi g to try lowering mine about 1.5". The backspacing and width on these wills will allow it from what I can see although I may have to roll the fender lip just a little bit but that's no big deal
fuzzier1
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by fuzzier1 »

Ok Carcrafter I have found your write up on this over at the darkside :D . It is very good, you go into more detail there than you did here, does that continue through the entire 60+ page thread? I am up to page 22 and like what I have read so far. To bad it would be so labor intensive to move just your compiled posts over to here as it is a very good how-to for the CV suspension and I assume the Mark VIII IRS install. Keith would you mind having a link to his posts to over there as it is so good? If you don't want it I understand but if someone is thinking of doing this it is a MUST READ.

Fuzz
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

I don't know what was said exactly, and don't care other than the way it came across while not meant that way was hurtfull to the person it regarded. It almost sounds like it was more of a precautionary tale of what not to use that in the context sounded like your stupid if you use it.

I know i have personally told someone something trying to help, but it came across like i was being hatefull.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
Fordnatic
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Fordnatic »

You should have a complete writeup in the bump wiki-it would be a great addition. The long thread on the other forum is difficult to navigate with all the people asking the same questions over and over.
70F100: 410 Merc with tri-power, close ratio toploader, 4.56 detroit locker 9"
68F100 4x4: 390, 4 spd/NP 205, Rancho 4" urethane susp, 35x12.50 All Terrain T/A's
55F100
01F150 Daily Driver: TP tunes, AF1 intake, elec fans, Magnaflow exh, underdrive pulleys, Centerlines
carcrafter22

Post by carcrafter22 »

Thats a good idea Fordnatic, I've already started on a word document for it, when I finish I can just copy it all and paste it to the wiki page.

Heres the new direction.

D-1SC
1400CFM
32 PSI max boost
925 HP max hp mmuuuaaahhhahahahaha!!!!

Still undecided what turbo I'm gonna team it up with yet but its gonna be much bigger than the he341 LOL.
Fordnatic
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Fordnatic »

Wow, all that beautiful plumbing for the twins and your starting over?? (Really, that was fine art). I'm sure whatever you come up with will be great also.
70F100: 410 Merc with tri-power, close ratio toploader, 4.56 detroit locker 9"
68F100 4x4: 390, 4 spd/NP 205, Rancho 4" urethane susp, 35x12.50 All Terrain T/A's
55F100
01F150 Daily Driver: TP tunes, AF1 intake, elec fans, Magnaflow exh, underdrive pulleys, Centerlines
carcrafter22

Post by carcrafter22 »

Thanks, I hope so. I loved the look of my twins, its actually my screen pic on my Iphone and they were awsome, sounded like a jet engine when spooling up, fast spoolup, big power, big boost, got lots of attention anywhere I went.

I have always wanted to try so many different things instead of just having people tell me about it, with my duramax I got it to run 11's on a stock motor and some nitrous but beyond that I would have to spend around $30K to build the motor to be reliable at the level I was looking at going.

With this truck I have under $15 in everything I have done to date including buying the truck and I have tried many different combos, its been great.

I think this will be the last combo I will try if I like it anyway. I think this will offer the best of everything, cool factor, instant throttle response, big power, with decent mpg's.
fuzzier1
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by fuzzier1 »

You have ONLY $15 in your project? WOW :D I assume you mean $15K in it. Still you have done things in the last year and then changed more than most will ever do to their truck.... Including me. I will say though you have me looking for Crown Vics as I want to go ahead and put the 4.6L in for now and eventually do my original plan of a stroked 460. Your diesel though is VERY intriguing just not sure if I would/could do what you have done. I assume you are a welder in the Oil patch in TX, correct? On a side note, has ANYONE come across away to install a 4.6L in an older tuck like ours with out costing a bunch and having to run the CV's gauges and steering column? I have looked at the Megasquirt and don't quite understand what it is!? I take it is a kit for the Confuser (computer) that you use the stock engine CV wiring. Anyone know?

Fuzz

P.S What is up with the Spellcheck, I ran it on this and it didn't know a lot of words including TRUCK???? :?
Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Caseys71 »

You've really outdid yourself, I read the entire thread on FTE and have been keeping up with your project from the beginning I really like the quality you put into your work. Pretty neat idea you had going with that mechanical injection diesel as well that's definitely not something you see everyday in a bump. I'm really liking those wheels that you chose as well, everything you've done is just great. Even though I think I'm going to keep mine mostly stock Suspension wise (there's something to be said about a 14 yr old whose got a truck w/ armstrong steering and manual drum brakes not to mention a 4 speed)- only truck anything close to that in our school parking lot is a bow-tie :cry: wish more of the kids at my school were into old trucks. Keep up the good work :thup:
Casey
16 years old with a 40 year old truck (well almost)
1971 F-100302, T-18 4 speed, 3:55 rear, & an Edelbrock sticker on the ashtray.
"Don't worry about what you become, just make sure that you're successful at what you do."- Mr. English
"Value what you DO have over that which you don't."- Forrestbump
"Wanting can sometimes be better than having, never stop dreaming... it's what keeps us all going."- Forrestbump
1984 Toyota 4x4: 22-R, 5-speed, 3" suspension lift, 35's and 5:29's
Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Caseys71 »

Can't wait for the next update and you don't have to worry about me getting rid of this truck, its about as simple as they get and that's what I love about it, well that and that it's tough as nails. $15k isn't bad considering all of the work you've got in it.
Casey
16 years old with a 40 year old truck (well almost)
1971 F-100302, T-18 4 speed, 3:55 rear, & an Edelbrock sticker on the ashtray.
"Don't worry about what you become, just make sure that you're successful at what you do."- Mr. English
"Value what you DO have over that which you don't."- Forrestbump
"Wanting can sometimes be better than having, never stop dreaming... it's what keeps us all going."- Forrestbump
1984 Toyota 4x4: 22-R, 5-speed, 3" suspension lift, 35's and 5:29's