Thunderfoot's 69 Highboy (Lots of pictures!) Update Nov10th

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Thunderfoot
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Thunderfoot's 69 Highboy (Lots of pictures!) Update Nov10th

Post by Thunderfoot »

Ok this is going to be long and with lots of pictures, enjoy :fr:

So here is the 69 Highboy I bought a couple of months ago, a little history on the truck and what I have done to it so far and the plans for it. :D

Some History:

This truck was bought new by the grandfather of the guy I got it from. He was a logger and used it in the mountains around Bend Oregon for years, then his father had the truck and work at the saw mill and drove it everyday to work. The kid got it in High School and drove it some there but worked on it in auto mechanics in school mostly. His job supplied him with a new Ford truck so he never drove it much.
He said that in the late 80’s they put the 390 in it and it had had the front end rebuilt/replace a couple of times and the rearend had been replace before also.
He put new tires and wheels on it in 98 and still never drove it… He went to put a 4 barrel manifold and carb on it in 2003 and found the block was cracked next to the freeze plug. He ended up putting a new block in it with new pistons and had the heads gone through. When he put it back in the truck it got a new starter, alternator, fuel pump, and radiator… He also put a new front driveshaft and seat in it at that time… put the bed rails and tool box in the back also. He drove it a few times (100 miles maybe) after all this. He just didn’t need it and he had a 03 Ford F-150 4x4 that he drives all the time so he decided to get rid of it. He figures the truck has over 500,000 miles on it... :eek:

Pictures of it before I bought it from the seller, click to expand;

I bought it and the brakes were out of it so that is the first thing I had to fix. I put it on a trailer and took it to my buddy’s shop where I could work on it inside.

Pictures of getting it;

The Right rear wheel cylinder was leaking so that is part of why the brakes were not working to well. I replaced the rear wheel cylinders and rebuilt the fronts. I put new rubber brake lines on it front and back as those were getting bad. I also installed power brakes on it as I had the stuff on a parts truck, I was going to put this on my shorty but I will find another for it when the time comes… The booster wouldn’t hold vacuum so I had to replace it.

Replaced the front and rear diff oil and put new rear hub seals in it when I did the brakes.
Found the left tie rod was shot so replaced that, all the rest of the steering was great.

Had one front and rear light that didn’t work, found the front was just the bulb and dirty socket but the rear was a broken wire in the back. Got that all fixed and found the reverse lights didn’t work… another broken wire and another dirty socket, all the lights work now!

Replaced the 13 inch aftermarket steering wheel with the one off my shorty for know until I get Power Steering installed. That 13 inch with manual steering not a real good idea…

Checked the other drive shafts and the rear was good but the intermediate shaft needed new U-Joints, so got those and put them on.

Took it for a test drive, truck stops great now! When I got back the rear driveshaft seal on the transfercase was leaking. Whoever installed it last didn’t get it in there straight, so I replaced that.

Changed the oil and filter the other night and drove it home.

Here are pictures of it when I was woking on it in my buddy's shop.

Working on the brakes;
Front before work.
Front after work
Rear after work
Brake Booster installed

Some pics of the winch setup;
This is a 8000lb PTO driven Ramsey winch, it is driven off the Transmission PTO.
This shows the driveshaft for it, notus the exhaust modification for it :doh:
Driveshaft up under the radiator

Some interior shots;
Before replacing the stearing wheel
After putting in stock stearing wheel and the badly cracked dash pad
New Dome light by Jamie (Ranchero50) installed.

Some of the extra stuff that came in the back. A brand new tire off of his 03 f150 (as he put bigger tires on it), a bunch of sprinkler heads, a gas tank that mounts on the outside of the frame in front of the wheel opening, and some general junk :lol:
If you look at the left side of the bed under the tool box is the inside spare tire mount :thup: I need to get a bigger spare mounted to match the size of the tires on it now, then relocate that mount to the back corner. :wink:

Some other shots of the truck and parts;
The rear tailgate needs replaced, it looks ok on the outside but the left inside is mashed and it wont latch on the left.
This shows how bad the front springs are shot...
Tires and wheels
Dana 24 transfercase

My next thing is to get the springs re-arched and put new bushings in them as they are shot…

The list of things to do;
Build/fix the throttle linkage for it.
Put Power Steering on it, I got a new rebuilt 78-79 F250 4x4 box for it and new drag link, and drop pitman arm.
Build a new front bumper for the winch. (Yes, I decided to keep the winch) when I do this it looks like I can move it back about 3-4 inches from where it is now.
Install thef600 instrument panel and intermittent wiper switch I got for it.
Get it ready for paint and paint it
Install sound deadener and carpet inside
Rebuild/replace the heater controls
Take the dash pad out of my shorty that has one small crack in it and put it in the highboy (I’ll get a better one for the shorty)
Wire it for trailer lights and trailer brakes
New rubber seals for the windows and doors
I also got the trim for the front and rear windows and also the rear tail lights.
What ever else comes along the way...
Last edited by Thunderfoot on Thu May 08, 2008 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shayne
I'm not "Brand Loyal" Ford-Chevy-Dodge-Toyota I have them all, one even cross mixed...
If it Looks good and Works good then it's ok by me. Everything has its issues from time to time...

69 SWB (project) & 69 Highboy (driver/project)
http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa29 ... d%20truck/
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10399
BiggDogg
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: Thunderfoot's 69 Highboy (Lots of pictures!)

Post by BiggDogg »

WOW what an awesome post/update! Thanks for all the details and pix. Nice work Thunderfoot, looking good! :thup:
1970 F250 Camper Special
"Its no coincidence that man's best friend can't talk."
kaptnkaos
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by kaptnkaos »

Hey TF...

That's a really sweet '69er.. looks like she's really solid to begin with...
Thanks for the great pics...

It was wierd 'cause the colors changed mid-way you got some that fancy paint on her... :D

A beefed up '68 highboy would be about the only thing I'd want to replace my CS...

KaptnKA 8) S
Washington...The land where rust is like the family pet...Ya learn to live with it and clean up after its mess... KaptnKAOS

"Olde Skool" '68 Ford Bluebird short bus
"FRODO" '68 F-250 Camper Special project
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

this project is SWEET :thup:

going to wax the paint and see how nice it really is? that would be nice to see

i like the fiberglass front end laying over there too :drool:
-Ryan
Thunderfoot
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Thunderfoot »

Thanks! The paint is oxidized really bad and real thin in spots so not worth buffing / waxing it out... Just going to work on painting it... It is Reef Aqua...
I did power wash it after doing the brakes but I need to get a mit with soap and water and scrub the oxidation off of it. It would look 100% better as it has finger prints all over it where I have touched it and the oxidation comes off, just need a warm day again... :wink:

Oh Ryan, That fiberglass is the body off my buddys Trophy Truck. He just got through tearing it all apart and putting it back together this last weekend. It's just about ready to go out for another race. :D
Shayne
I'm not "Brand Loyal" Ford-Chevy-Dodge-Toyota I have them all, one even cross mixed...
If it Looks good and Works good then it's ok by me. Everything has its issues from time to time...

IDBob

Post by IDBob »

Thunderfoot other than mine is a 69 half ton two wheel drive it looks just like yours. It's being parted out to fix the 70 highboy I got last month. The 70 is getting the passenger fender, grill and headlights and bumper. The old fella that owned it smacked a deer and wiped out the stuff I'm replacing.

That's sure an interesting looking winch, you don't see many of the PTO winches anymore.

Here's a pix of my rigs.

Here's the fender and grill off the 69 now on the 70.

basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Thunderfoot,

Awesome posting. :thup:

I too like the PTO winch driven from the D24.
I've still got my D24 from my old Bronco, (has the blank-off plate/cover where the PTO is driven from).

Basketcase
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Thunderfoot
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Thunderfoot »

UPDATE May8th

I upgraded my throttle linkage to a cable and pedal from a 79 ford truck! You can check out the procedure here. http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... hp?t=32611 but here are a before and after pics of it,

The PO had used this setup which was not good and didn't give it full throttle. :doh:

This is after installing the 79 setup.
:clap: :thup:

On to the instrument cluster change next.
Shayne

H-DFord

re: Thunderfoot's 69 Highboy (Lots of pictures!) update May8

Post by H-DFord »

Wow your project is coming together good. Makes me want to do more to mine.
1968 Ford Ranger Lb
2007 Harley Electra Glide Classic
BiggDogg
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by BiggDogg »

Lookin good thunderfoot nice work!
1970 F250 Camper Special
"Its no coincidence that man's best friend can't talk."
seattle67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by seattle67 »

Good job Shayne.

Be sure to hold on to that old set up in case the chain on your toilet breaks! :lol:
Dan

"I plan to start procastinating immediately"

RedneckTexan
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by RedneckTexan »

Nice truck Thunderfoot! :thup: :thup:
John

68 F-100~68 F-350~69 F-250~69 F-100
76 F-150~78 bronco~78 bronco

http://oldfordcrewcabs.com/
AlleyCat
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by AlleyCat »

Looking good Shayne. :thup: :D
Clay

72 F100 4x2 Custom,289, C4 " Slow Ride "
70 F250 4x2 Ranger XLT , 360, C6 "B52 - IV"
96 F150 4x2 XL, 300, E4OD, daily driver

" Professional Wrecker Operators - We Pull for America "
F100builder
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by F100builder »

:yt: Lookin' real good! Keep 'em coming!
Patrick

ImageImageImageImage
'56 F100; Must.II IFS, 351W bored & stroked to 395c.i. 470hp/483ft-lbs., AOD, 4-link coilover 9" w/ 3.89's
'69 F100; 390, C6, Dana 60 w/ 4.10's
'70 F100; 'new' and latest project soon to have a built 390/C6 and 3.50 gears
To see more of my F100's: http://www.cardomain.com/id/lowfat56
Thunderfoot
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Thunderfoot's 69 Highboy (Lots of pictures!) Update Nov10th

Post by Thunderfoot »

(Update Nov 10th)

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Well, it has been a while since I did much to my truck and will probably be a while until the next update, but needed to get these parts out of my way in the shop and I'm running out of room to store parts. So it was a good point to put them on! :lol: :D

I got an F600 instrument panel, intermittent wiper switch, and dash pad all put in.
I had cleaned up and polished the instrument panel earlier this summer but finally got the old one out so I could adapt the wire harness connector to the F600 one. Check out the odometer on my new truck. :D I will work on making a post of what it took to do the wire adaptation and rebuild on it. :)
The Dash pad I got off EBay a month ago for pretty cheep and scrubbed it clean. The old one was a mess and beings this truck originally belonged to a logger, there was a lot of decomposed sawdust under the edges. Took about 1hr scrubbing and cleaning it all out before putting the replacement it.

Anyway, here are the before and after pics of the instrument panel and dash pad installed. :thup:

Dash pad when I got it all dirty.

After clean up :thup:

Dash pad in truck, toast...

Replacement installed. :woohoo:

Old instrument panel, it has been replace by the PO as the truck wire harness doesn't have the Amp wires.

F600 Instrument panel after clean and polish, plus reset. :D

Intermittent wiper switch mounted.

Old panel in truck.

New panel in truck. :woohoo:

It all works great!!!

Until the next update... hopefully it will be installing the new 2" skyjacker springs and shocks... to be continued. :D
Shayne