The 70 crew's progress-modifications and cummins swap

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: The 70 crew's progress

Post by 460 crew »

Condenser fits like a glove! Image Image
Timing gear housing for the p pump conversion showed up. Image

Next task is pulling my fuel tank and Holley red pump out.
Parts on parts off, never ends.
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

Traded some parts and my stock injectors for a set of rebuilt with a little more flow. Can't wait to get all this back together.Image.
Also pulled the fuel tank from the frame, gonna build a bed mounted aluminum tank that will b holding something close to 50 gal. This will free up space for my exhaust routed all the way to the rear and room for an air tank. Image
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by popeyes71 »

Looking good, I like how you got everything tucked behind the grill! Had a question, where did you pull the fuel tank out of your truck? Did it mount in the back of the truck, in between the frame were the spare tire usually goes? Or is it a saddle tank that mounts on the side of the truck?
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

Thanks, yes the tank is pulled from the rear where the spare would go, it's up in the classifieds. I plan on running the new exhaust through there and adding an air tank for extra accesories that need them.

Ya so far everything is fitting behind the grill but the engine is not in yet but measures up. It ends up the new shroud is 1in Closer to the radiator support than the original radiator with a dual flexalite electric fan setup I had on there so we should be all good.
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

Pulled out the Np205 case today and removed the shift rail to mod for twin sticks, something I bought parts for a long time ago but never finished. So now is a good of time than never, some new seals and billet parts maybe then throw it back in.
ImageImage

I have an extra shift rail to mod if someone is interested.
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: The 70 crew's progress-modifications and cummins swap

Post by 460 crew »

Finished the rail mod today, rails cycle just how they should, locking out self destructing hi and low at the same time.
Next order of business will be a cleaning some paint again and bolt on a few billet bearing retainers, bling bling.
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by popeyes71 »

I'm enjoying your build and the transformation and progress on your truck! I still have a 385 series motor in my 71 Highboy and I always contemplate swapping a cummins in, but I think I'm just going to wait till the motor I have wears out and keep learning what will be needed to do such a project. But in the meantime, I do have a question about the splitter sticks for your transfer case. School me on what the purpose is and is it something you can do with the old Dana 24? Does it give you some additional ratios to work with when using 4 wheel drive?
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

Thanks for following the thread, I've kinda taken some time outs on it in the years.
On the twins sticks a 24 can b done I guess but doesn't have a desirable 4 low ratio to b worth the mod. A 205 is basically a both in deal for a stouter case with a much larger market for parts if repairs r needed and upgrades.

Here is a thread with more twin info and a couple other links in it As well http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general- ... cheap.html
More or less it gives u 2wd low for an option and also locking out the rear axle and running fwd in high or low. It's not a mod for everyone or a necessity but I like to add stuff I prob don't really need lol and I'm a heavy equipment operator by trade so the more levers and options to tear stuff up the better I guess. In my mind if I can lock up the rear of the crew and do a fwd burn out and pivot around an obstacle with that tank it'll b pretty cool compared to the 10pt turn. :woohoo:
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

You fit an intercooler!? Suhweeet!
-Ryan
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by popeyes71 »

Thanks 460 crew for the info! "Stuff" is cool! Keep up the great work on the truck!
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
motzingg
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by motzingg »

its pretty awesome that you can run low range 2wd in case you have to tow a broken down semi truck or move a 747 from one side of your driveway to the other.

i, for one, think that its awesome you're doing all this in the driveway of some kind of subdevelopment/condo cluster where a giant flat black monster truck stands out like a sore thumb.
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

My last house I got a letter in the mail if I checked my oil. This place is more laid back, ppl actually come out of their houses to do things. Best part is my house is right on the corner so everyone has to take a look as they come in. Plus side is I'm the neighborhood mechanic so nobody's negative about me wrenching on stuff, cuz sometimes it's their rigs in the driveway. I also try to keep my work contained for the most part and everything gets put away when I'm done for the night. I have random ppl walking dogs or driving by wanting to talk about the truck, pretty relaxed neighborhood.
jholveck

Post by jholveck »

nice work. I just wanted to throw my 2 cents worth in. it will all fit in there. the radiator, charge air cooler and ac condenser without messing with the firewall.
jholveck

Post by jholveck »

I did the 93 12 valve with a NV5600 6 spd. about 18.5 mpg so far but still tweaking..
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

Thanks, it's always nice to see another conversion completed with a happy owner. I'm 100% this is the right conversion for me. I saw your thread on fte or cummins forum, I regular both of those watching everyone's projects and progress. Are u still running stock turbo and stock VE pump for the 18.5 mpg?