Water in Cab

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

Gray035

Water in Cab

Post by Gray035 »

Well it finally started raining here in Southern California, and I have water leaks on both sides of my cab. The water is running down the floor where it meets the side vent panels on each side of the cab. On the passenger side it looks like it's coming in somewhere behind the heater apparatus. It's coming in at a similar height on the driver's side (I think). I was hoping some of you guys might have dealt with something similar and can help guide me before I start removing things to see the precise source of the two leaks.

There is enough water coming in to soak the carpet at the corner of the front corner of the door to about half way across the door opening. So it's not a small leak from my view.

Please help!
1968 F-250 Camper Special
Bill Ramsey
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Water in Cab

Post by Bill Ramsey »

Its probably leaking at the windshield gasket, and going behind the dash, to the floor. I wouldnt worry about it at this point, just dry it out when sun comes up.
1968 Highboy
1976 Highboy
1969 F250 Camper Special
1941 Dodge Power Wagon
1930 Model A Coupe (Hotrod)
1962 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe
VW Sandrails
Honda ATC's
36' Diesel Pusher for roughing it.
MAK
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by MAK »

Windshield wiper gasket as said above is where mine was leaking.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Ditto. To add some salt to the wound, mine isn't leaking through to the dash. It's leaking around the bottom of the gasket, up to the pinch weld and then down between the layers of sheet metal at the pinch weld and dripping onto the floor. I need to pull the glass to 'fix' it. I used to get puddles on the drivers floor and eventually stuck a spare cotter pin under the aluminum trim to hold the door gasket down as a drain port. I also pushed a little sliver of wood up under the windshield gasket to act as an air break so the water wouldn't siphon up to the pinch weld. PITA... :cry:
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Gray035

Post by Gray035 »

Oh geez.

Based on what you guys have posted I did some additional poking around on here. Apparently some advocate sealing the windshield gasket with silicon around the edge. I think a small amount of black silicon could turn out okay. But my truck has the stainless trim around the windshield, and the gap between the trim/gasket and the drip rail isn't very big. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a clean line of silicon in there?
1968 F-250 Camper Special
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Another possibility is its leaking in the cowl - I sealed mine up along with the drip rail and haven't had a leak since. Used this - comes with a straw so you can get down inside the cowl vent.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SEM-Rubberized ... 1438.l2649

On the drip rail I chipped all the old factory sealer out and taped it off and sprayed a couple coats on....
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

While you're poking around, make sure your cowl vents are clean. I discovered during my repaint (when I pulled the fenders) that they were packed solid with many years of ick.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
JHof44

Post by JHof44 »

Howdy neighbor! I don't have much to add other than it looks like most of the rain is done here in Vista so hopefully you'll be able to get her dried out today. Hope to see you around town.

-Josh
1967 Ford F100 Custom Cab longbed
mulletmobile

Post by mulletmobile »

X2 on cleaning out the fresh air vents in the side of the kick panels. Mine were packed with 3-4” of needles, decomposing leaves and muck. It caused the small drain hole in the bottom that is about 1/2”x1” in the bottom to be plugged. All water was forced out of the vents and onto the floor. Pull the vents and unplug! This is a major cause of the fenders/cowl vents rusting our at the bottom as well as soaking the floorboards causing them to rust out also. I scuffed down what I could and then I sprayed the inside of the entire cowl with Eastwood internal frame coating. For $20 you can also buy new seals for the vents and put it all back together.
1971 F-250, Wimbeldon White, 360, PB, dealer add-on A/C (A.R.A. brand), 1970 coded interior (23 - Med. blue/Light blue) with 42,000 miles.