Question about 69 f250 options

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

treys599

Question about 69 f250 options

Post by treys599 »

Hello, I am a new member here, i joined because i have decided I want my first project car/truck to be a 67-72 ford f series. Ive locally found a 69 f250 camper special in a junkyard. The truck is complete and the yard has a title (they specialize in old cars). Its been sitting a while but looks complete and rust free. The truck also appears to be a Ranger model based off of the emblems and wood dash inserts. Though it was a top of the line truck trim level wise it has a manual transmission, manual brakes and manual steering, is that normal or did someone convert it to manual or convert it to a ranger model, or was it possible to order a top trim level truck with all the manual accessories? thanks in advance.
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Question about 69 f250 options

Post by Busboy »

I have also seen Rangers with no power accessories and wondered the same thing. I have concluded that they indeed were available that way.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
71Fe2O3

Post by 71Fe2O3 »

Sounds like a good find if the price is right. There is information somewhere on this site (try the search function, or use google and specify this site) about the available options packages. It may have had some vital parts removed, especially ones that are sought after and expensive to replace, and rust is not always obvious, so give it a careful inspection.

Something to consider, if you haven't already, is that the truck may come with a salvage title. In some states you have to jump through some high hoops to register a salvage-titled vehicle. Also, the salvage classification stays with the vehicle and can complicate matters if you decide to sell it down the road. Make sure you do your homework and learn the rules so don't get stuck with a vehicle you can't use. It is likely that the salvage yard operators know more about the condition and value of the truck than you do, so be careful.

If you decide to move ahead, I encourage you to consider the additional costs of motor vehicle department fees and inspections when you are figuring out how much you are willing to pay.

Good luck with it. I hope it works out for you. If it doesn't, there are still quite a few of these old trucks around, so one is waiting for you somewhere.
Fred

1970 F100 4WD short bed, 360 engine, very rusty plow and yard truck

1971 F100 2WD long bed, 302 engine, on the road

1968 F100 2WD long bed, 360 engine, stripping for parts
treys599

Post by treys599 »

Yeah i have considered there might be a hidden problem with it, but the yard owners are pretty open and ive been allowed to walk around and even put a battery and breaker bar on a few other vehicles i found there last time I stopped by. I havent had a chance to see this truck in person yet. They also say its a clear title, but who knows til you actually see it. Is there anything special to look for on these trucks, any Achilles heel or anything or just look for pretty much the same stuff you would on any old truck. Also what drew me to the truck was a 390 badge on the fender, again i havent been able to get a look at the vin to see if its a real 390 truck but if it is it would be an interesting combination, f250, camper special, Ranger, 390, 4 speed, manual steering, manual brakes and AC...
71Fe2O3

Post by 71Fe2O3 »

That is an interesting combination. The AC and 390 surprise me.

With regard to the engine, the 360 is far more common than the 390. They have the same block but different rotating assemblies, giving the 390 a longer stroke-details are available on this site and elsewhere. Because of the possibility of engine swaps you can't rely on VIN or badges, and need to check the stroke yourself if you want to know. Although 390s are coveted by many, the 360 is a perfectly good engine for these trucks, and you can swap engines or rotating assemblies later on.

Rust is the main killer of these trucks. Check the floor panels, doors, inner and outer fenders, radiator support, drip rail and cab mounts. Parts are available, used original as well as aftermarket, but it can get expensive and take a lot of work.
Fred

1970 F100 4WD short bed, 360 engine, very rusty plow and yard truck

1971 F100 2WD long bed, 302 engine, on the road

1968 F100 2WD long bed, 360 engine, stripping for parts
treys599

Post by treys599 »

what would be the best way to check out the engine before buying the truck. I might be able to put a battery and breaker bar on it to see if it turns over and starts and check the oil and spark plugs but without really seeing it run for a little bit and driving it its difficult to really see if its in good condition or not. Just seeing if anyone has any special tips for looking one over before buying. It is a Big block FE dont believe its a 352 but could be a 360, fender says 390 but like stated before they all look identical on the outside.