Highboy values

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

tabyers

Highboy values

Post by tabyers »

Hi, I have an early bronco and have been over on that forum for a long time. I'm looking at a 71 f-260 4x4 now though and the prices are pretty varied and I'm not finding a lot to choose from. I live in Indiana (rust!). This truck has a bad drivers pan and front cab mounts. The passengers door is also pretty wavy. Otherwise everything seems to be in order and the interior is actually pretty good. (Despite the ad, I'm assuming it's a 360 with 300,000 mi on it.) 44 front / 435 trans. Guy wants almost 6,000. I'm not opposed to patching the mounts and pan. Its going to be a semi-daily/work/romper. But it seems more like a 4,000 truck to me. Am I just behind the times? Has the idiotic Bronco market already permeated down through all the old 4x's? Thanks for the help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Highboy values

Post by jzjames »

tabyers wrote:Has the idiotic Bronco market already permeated down through all the old 4x's? Thanks for the help.
No. And that's WAY too much IMO.
But then, you know what they say...it's what someone is willing to pay.
tabyers

Post by tabyers »

I forgot to mention manual steering and brakes too. There's a 72 on eBay, seems like a bit of the same it looks like a 8,000 truck they want 10,000 for. I'm new to the pickups (we've had two 79's but that was a long time ago) so I wanted to check in and see what others thought. I'll keep looking. Thanks
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Doesn't cost a whole lot to get a truck shipped if it's running. Price is probably correct for the rust belt. You can buy a lot of truck out West but you need a willing truthful seller to get your money's worth.

That's what I'll do if I ever decide to get back into a Ranchero.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Yep,here in Wa. I've seen quite a few 4x4's for $1500 -$2000, unless they have crept up in price recently.

And we sure do know that early broncos crept up alot -fast! :lol:
tabyers

Post by tabyers »

well I looked at it today and both the toe and foot board on the drivers side are totally gone, cant even step on it and the front cab mounts are crushed completely. The seller came down to 3,700 but it may be a bigger project than I want to get into since I'm about to take the body apart on the bronco. Maybe when I finish. It's just a shame because the thing is 30mins from my house.
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

Here in northern Michigan 3700 is a good deal!
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Avoid one with rotted out cab mounts, and any extensive rot in general.
idaho_cowboy

Post by idaho_cowboy »

Shoot me a message. This is what I do. I'm in Idaho, and find / rescue 67-72 Ford's from all of the dry climate areas of Eastern Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, and Arizona. I ship to every state and abroad. It's a piece of cake.

$3,700 is probably a fair price for your area. And the national market is sky-high. Rust-free Highboys are starting at 10,000 and going up, up, up.

$6,000 will get you into a daily-driver type with some cosmetic or minor rust issues. But don't expect miracles!

- Joseph
Owner @ bumpsidetreasures
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

idaho_cowboy wrote:Shoot me a message. This is what I do. I'm in Idaho, and find / rescue 67-72 Ford's from all of the dry climate areas of Eastern Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, and Arizona. I ship to every state and abroad. It's a piece of cake.

$3,700 is probably a fair price for your area. And the national market is sky-high. Rust-free Highboys are starting at 10,000 and going up, up, up.

$6,000 will get you into a daily-driver type with some cosmetic or minor rust issues. But don't expect miracles!

- Joseph
:yt:
best advice you'll get all year! I bought mine from a guy in Boise last year and I have yet to use an impact, cheater bars, or heat on anything I have taken apart on mine due to the climate out there and that they didn't use salt - at least not when I lived in Idaho Falls in the early 90's. And I paid ALOT less for a rust free truck than I would have paid for a rustbucket here in Ohio. Shop around for shipping - mine was $833 and got here in a week. Just my :2cents: on what to do..... :D
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
idaho_cowboy

Post by idaho_cowboy »

Hey Ohio guy... That was ME you bought from! Glad you're still enjoying it!! I miss her sometimes too..

Small world..

- Joseph
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

idaho_cowboy wrote:Hey Ohio guy... That was ME you bought from! Glad you're still enjoying it!! I miss her sometimes too..

Small world..

- Joseph
Didn't know that was you! Was just getting ready to shoot you some photos of her now that I've gotten almost everything done I was gonna do - she has definitely gotten shown some love........I've already had 3 people try to buy her......I give the same reply everytime......."you don't have enough money to buy this truck"......... :lol:

For everyone here that's looking for a truck - Joseph is one of the most honest and helpful people I have had the pleasure to deal with on the internet - He's the guy to find you a truck!....... :thup:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
tabyers

Post by tabyers »

Hey, this all sounds great, I want in! Yeah I'm not expecting to find a steal of the century, I just want to see if I can be patient enough to pay $3000 for the rusty one or $6000 for a decent one. Just trying to see what matches up price vs. condition. Thanks for all the input.
idaho_cowboy

Post by idaho_cowboy »

Thanks for the generous compliments!

Tabyers; Sounds good, I left my digits with you in a PM. Shoot me a txt, or call anytime.

- Joseph
Clunker

Post by Clunker »

AH HA! I've caught you red handed Idaho cowboy. I knew there was a reason I couldn't find any decent high boys in Eastern Washington. lol

I agree with Joseph's numbers, but you can occasionally find a sweet deal. I got my F250 for $800 in Rosalia, WA because it was in a remote area, and most people aren't willing to travel very far to look at cars. The seller had no idea that a PO had rebuilt the engine, put in an RV cam, installed headers, rebuilt the heads, and probably did a lot more that I have not discovered yet. Sounds like Joseph has a pretty good handle on how to locate a good bump. I just got lucky.
1970 F250 CS: 360, RV cam, Edelbrock Performer 390 intake, Holley 600, headers, Pertronix II, Flamethrower coil.