LED light bar

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

LED light bar

Post by Lone Ranger »

Hey has anyone ever put an LED light bar behind their grille? I know the grille would block some of the light but I like the idea of the light bar being hidden. I also want a small one in the engine bay. Any pics or ideas would be great thanks!
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle
Wilfred of Ivanhoe

Re: LED light bar

Post by Wilfred of Ivanhoe »

I have not done it, but I have wondered the same thing. I would think it would just take a bit of adjustment to get the light like you wanted it.
1953 F100 (Waitint for attention)
1969 F100 LWB w/ 72 grille (Daily driver & work truck)
1969 F100 LWB Parts truck
1971 F100 SSWB 4x4 (Current Project)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (Actually the wife's)
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

I think I would do two small light bars on either side of the radiator and adjust them so that they light up the ditches real nice. My biggest fear is smacking a deer. Light bars are cheap on eBay.
Kyle
geradr4

Post by geradr4 »

If you're going to buy cheap ebay LED bars, make sure that they have Cree LED bulbs.
MadJoe

Post by MadJoe »

geradr4 wrote:If you're going to buy cheap ebay LED bars, make sure that they have Cree LED bulbs.
If you find a cheap light bar on ebay that claims it has Cree bulbs, I can almost guarantee it doesn't have Cree bulbs. These cheap no-name LED light bars are a perfect example of getting what you pay for. I honestly don't know anyone, that has one, that's still impressed after a few weeks. If it were me, I'd spend the money on name-brand and have piece of mind and a warranty to back them up.

For under the hood, I went with an LED 67 bulb and put it in the existing port with lots of dielectric grease.

Unsolicited advise warning: I use a lot of dielectric grease, you should too. Any time I disconnect an electrical connection on this truck, both sides get a squirt. Even if they were just squirted recently.
1971 F-350 DRW SWB Stake Body
360 FE
C6 transmission
OEM disc brakes
OEM power steering
Dana 70 4.10 rear end
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

MadJoe wrote:
geradr4 wrote:If you're going to buy cheap ebay LED bars, make sure that they have Cree LED bulbs.
If you find a cheap light bar on ebay that claims it has Cree bulbs, I can almost guarantee it doesn't have Cree bulbs. These cheap no-name LED light bars are a perfect example of getting what you pay for. I honestly don't know anyone, that has one, that's still impressed after a few weeks. If it were me, I'd spend the money on name-brand and have piece of mind and a warranty to back them up.

For under the hood, I went with an LED 67 bulb and put it in the existing port with lots of dielectric grease.

Unsolicited advise warning: I use a lot of dielectric grease, you should too. Any time I disconnect an electrical connection on this truck, both sides get a squirt. Even if they were just squirted recently.
Good tip on the grease! Thanks Joe
Kyle