A new truck for the collection...but it's a Slick!

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

A new truck for the collection...but it's a Slick!

Post by FORDification »

Just thought I'd throw this in here for the heck of it. I now have a Slick, two bumpsides and a dentside. :lol:

This '62 F100 wrongbed has been parked next to the local school forever. I've driven by it almost every day for more than 20 years, and though I know the owner, I've never asked him about it. Well, my father-in-law bought it the other day, apparently just for the steel wheels, which will replace the aftermarket wheels on his '63 unibed....and wants to just give me the truck, after he pulls the wheels and replaces them with the wheels/tires currently on his uni.

As I drove by it again a couple days ago I stopped for about two minutes and snapped a couple quick pics. (Would have done a few more, but we got our first snowstorm of the season last night and with 40 MPH winds it was COLD!) Seems to be a base model with a 223 and column-shift 3-speed, converted to floor shift. Though it looks good from the outside, it's got some pretty severe rot in the floor.

As you can see, the cab steps are almost non-existent (both sides) and the driver's door sagged 4 inches when I opened it...appears to be a broken lower hinge:

Also, both floorboards and cab mounts are totally shot. From what I understood, it was being driven until something broke in the steering column. They welded it but it didn't hold, so they parked it. I haven't looked at it yet, but I now understand it's the steering box that's shot.

Here are a few more shots:

Well, today my father-in-law brought the truck out to our place. It had a flat tire so it couldn't be rolled off the trailer, so we just hooked it to a tree and pulled the trailer out from under it.

Then we got it up on blocks and got the wheels/tires pulled. I noticed then that these steel wheels have the '66-up 'outie' style of hubcap, and it was the earlier 'innie' style of wheel that he needed, so I'm not sure what he's going to do. They'll still look more period-correct than the mags he's got on his uni now, but...oh well. He still said he's going to bring some wheels/tires to put back on it...kinda keeping my fingers crossed he brings his mags. ;)

...and here's a shot of my new (to me) Slick alongside my '68 SWB 4x4 choptop project. My other '67 2WD SWB project is parked inside the barn.

At this point I'm not really sure what my plans are for this truck. It's actually very complete, so aside from replacing a steering box and a lower R/S door hinge, it could conceivably be driveable with very little effort. I'm kinda thinking this would just be a fun beater to occasionally go cruising in as-is. I'll definitely be going through all the fluids, brakes, etc. first, and since my eldest son has been wanting to learn to drive a stick, this just might be what he learns with.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Subzero
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: A new truck for the collection...but it's a Slick!

Post by Subzero »

Sweet truck you've got there 8) and for a great price. Now you've got 3 generations of Ford history
1972 F100 Sport Custom-2WD, Aqua Blue and Wimbleton White, LWB, 302 V8 and C4 trans, P/S, P/B - under construction

Gone but not forgotten: 1968 F100 Ranger- 2WD, LWB, original rebuilt 360 V8, Autolite 2bbl carb, C6 Trans, Hedman Headers, Powermaster Racing Starter, H-Pipe and Glasspacks, P/S, P/B, A/C
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

That's cool! Getting quite the herd there. :thup:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

I think it looks good as yard art. :D

Does this mean a new Fordification website ?
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Thats cool... The Oldsmobile in the barn too?
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Pretty cool. today I was up in Harrisburg PA at the farm complex for a motorcycle swap meet and found a '62 truck coded horn ring with the gear and lightning bolt emblem. I've never seen one and it's too big to fit on my '68 style 3 spoke wheel. I'll post up some pics when I get it cleaned up.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by crazyhorse »

Mr Keith, congratulations.
It looks straight , not beat up.
Not many of those left.
Good luck.
1972hiboy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1972hiboy »

A good collection requires diversification, Nice looking truck. whatever you do with it just have fun! :thup:
Rich
1973 f350 super c/s 460/c6 22k orig miles
1972 f350 srw crewcab special 390
1972 f250 4x4 sport custom 390fe Red
1972 f250 4x4 custom 360 FE " Ranger Ric"
1972 f250 4x4 custom 84k og miles 390
1971 f250 4x4 sport custom 56k og miles. 360
1970 f250 4x4 428 fe hp60 205 d60
Dont eat yellow snow.....
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Well, it might LOOK like it's in decent shape, but take a look at the floorpans and cab mounts:

As you can see, they're pretty bad. Even if I just drive it as-is, I'm going to have to do something with these problem areas. I doubt I'll go so far as to cut it all out and weld in new metal. For this, I'll probably just cut up a large road sign I have and shape it to fit across the floorboards and partially up the kick panel area on the inside and bolt it down. Yeah, I know...but this truck is nearing the end of it's life, and I've already got several other project trucks, so I'm just gonna do what absolutely has to be done.

My Old's is in a commercial storage facility until I can get this barn a little more weather-tight. A new roof is in the works for springtime.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

That's kind of a bummer but it is what it is. I'd probably part it out and invest your time in getting the other ones further along. You can't save them all and you only get so many sunrises to enjoy.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
ThinLizzy13

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Nah just sheet metal over those holes and keep on truckin' :thup: If you can save the steering shaft that is...
'63 F100 Uni 223 3OT
'67 F250 CS 352 4Spd
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Before I really invest any money into this I'll see if I can get it running. I'll change the oil, clean the points and plugs, etc. first. If the engine runs, then I'll put just what I have to into it to make it driveable and safe. Sheetmetal across the holes in the floor and a used steering box and column and some brake parts and I should be good to go. I'm not out to save it, but I wouldn't be against adding a few more miles to the odometer before putting it out to pasture permanently. ;) If I can spend a few weekends tinkering with it and have something fun to play with next summer, I'll be OK with that.

This truck is actually kind of a local landmark. Parked by the school where it was, every single kid in school got to drive by this truck every single day for many many years. My 14-year-old commented yesterday that in his lifetime he's always seen the truck parked there. So it would be cool to drop all the kids off to school a time or two with it....if I can fit myself and five kids into the cab! LOL
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
1972hiboy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1972hiboy »

what you have there is the rare option of the floor mounted ram induction foot cooler............not many were equipped on the trucks from the factory due to the hindrance it created when trying to enter or exit the vehicle. although it did make it easier to fling the mud off your boots and not make a mess inside the cab.
Rich
1973 f350 super c/s 460/c6 22k orig miles
1972 f350 srw crewcab special 390
1972 f250 4x4 sport custom 390fe Red
1972 f250 4x4 custom 360 FE " Ranger Ric"
1972 f250 4x4 custom 84k og miles 390
1971 f250 4x4 sport custom 56k og miles. 360
1970 f250 4x4 428 fe hp60 205 d60
Dont eat yellow snow.....
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Whoo! Nebraska rust!

Good to see you and your doings back on Fordification Kieth.
Wilfred of Ivanhoe

Post by Wilfred of Ivanhoe »

I say no vehicle is beyond saving. Its all a matter of one'e desire to save it. ....and the quantity op parts and $$$ needed
1953 F100 (Waitint for attention)
1969 F100 LWB w/ 72 grille (Daily driver & work truck)
1969 F100 LWB Parts truck
1971 F100 SSWB 4x4 (Current Project)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (Actually the wife's)