Looking at Buying a Bump for Daily Driving

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

MurrayPro92

Looking at Buying a Bump for Daily Driving

Post by MurrayPro92 »

Hello all! I am new here at the forum but not at all new to forums or the bumpside Fords! I currently own a 1968 F100 shortbed Ranger truck with a 360 and 3 speed. It was my dads old daily driver and I have owned it for 10 years now. It is in very sad shape and needs quite a bit of work to be put on the road again.

My previous daily (dodge) has bit the dust and I have been shopping for a "new" one. My initial search was for a mid to late '90s Ranger pickup but then I stumbled upon one of my dream trucks.

Ever since I got my dads ol '68 I have loved these trucks. I love the looks, the styling, the fact that my dad had them (he had the '68 which I have and a '71 which was sold long ago before he passed) Also, living on a farm in Texas one of the most common and my most favorite type of trucks is a one ton dually. So, naturally, my dream truck would be a bumpside dually. Low and behold I have found one. Also it is within my budget of $2500. My heart is set on this truck and my mind is still looking at logistics but I think I have pretty well convinced myself that I really want this truck.

The reason I became a member here, though, was to do more than just show off this truck that I am interested in, oh no. I would like to ask the good folks here some questions. I am 19 and have never really shopped for used vehicles before. I have a good buddy of mine who was an ASE certified mechanic for over 35 years and I am going to bring him with me when I go look at the truck so that he can help me to spot any worn parts or anything abnormal. But I would also like to ask the members here what things to look for on these particular models of trucks. What are some of the weak points?

Enough chatter. Here is a link and the description and photos of the truck in question. Thanks for having me here and I welcome any and all help y'all can provide!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/5797051179.html
craigslist ad wrote:1969 Ford F350 - $2500 (denton)

390 , 4 speed, runs good, new tires , tank, fuel pump, exhaust, steering box, brakes and other stuff .
Truck is rough but dependable , some rust, dents, scratches, and deluxe spray can paint
rust in the floor and drip rail, ready to work or cruise. odo says 90k unknown if correct.
if ad is up i still have it, please dont ask, firm on price, may trade for rat rod, 4x4,
or dual sport / scrambler type bike, no guns or quads or anything lame.
serious only please, serious cash or trade on hand to view, thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranchero50

Re: Looking at Buying a Bump for Daily Driving

Post by Ranchero50 »

Ah, boy... As the owner of a dually daily driver, looking at that truck makes me shudder. No power disc brakes or power steering is a huge turn off. You can add them but the early dually disc set ups are pretty difficult to find. Add in that the owner spends more space typing about what he doesn't want is another turn off. I absolutely hate condescending sellers. I don't car about the chrome chick silhouette on the mud flap. How about a shot of the drip rail rust that will kill a cab quicker than floors. How about a shot of the front cab mounts that get eaten. it does have the super duty radiator so there's one plus.

Without knowing the OP's needs for the truck (daily driver means 1-1000 miles a day) I say run away and find a decent Ranger. 19yo's know it all so I'm sure we'll see more questions about this one.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
TNIceWolf
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by TNIceWolf »

For one thing I myself would be suspicious of the 390 engine. The 360 would be more often correct for that vehicle so a stroke measurement would definately be on top of my list. Not saying a 390 hasnt been swapped in but it would pay to check if the owner claims original engine. Looking at the link to my project in my signature below might give you some clues what to expect with a DRW one ton.
Find 'em....Buy 'em....Fix 'em.....Drive 'em....Love 'em

HHC 4/67AR.... Bandits.....88-92

Presently in the stable
1969 Ford F-350 DRW
1989 Chevy S-10 Tahoe ( It gets me to work and back and fetches parts and groceries)
1981 Buick Regal ( My deceased uncles last project/driver....renamed project Regal Eagle to be finished in his honor)
1990 Ford F-150 ( Miss Yvonnes Daily Driver )
My F-350 project http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=41744
MurrayPro92

Post by MurrayPro92 »

Thanks guys!! I know my mind is kinda looking more at wants than needs with this one. I really NEED a dependable and reliable vehicle but I also really WANT a bumpside dually lol. My needs would be driving to work (15 miles one way 5 days a week) and about twice a month I visit a buddy of mine (65 miles one way). Hauling is little but I do live on a farm and may need to hook up to a gooseneck and haul some hay during the busy hay season when other trucks are tied up. Would it be possible to put power steering from my '68 F100 into this dually or do the one tons have a different setup? Like I said I am new to all of this so I don't really know what I should be looking out for or what kind of questions I should be asking. I do like working on my own things though and the idea of an older/simpler truck (easier to repair than newer electronically controlled vehicles) is a bit more appealing to me. But, there is also the fact that this truck is almost 50 years old and, I mean depending on how hard of a life it has had it may be pretty well wore out.
TNIceWolf
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by TNIceWolf »

Mine was converted to PS when I bought it.....uses the saginaw setup. There are two types of power steering swaps using stock parts from ford. There are also two types of steering columns that are used depending on the setup. Also two or possibly three pumps if I remember correctly. Also you may want to research the pitman arm for each type. Mine is a modified cut and weld job. Works fine but am sure there is a stock one that will fit without mods. You will also need to source mounting brackets and hoses for the FE engine.... plus belts.... pulleys...etc The column can be converted depending on the type of setup with just the correct steering shaft if need be and this forum is a great source of parts for things like that. Start checking out all the available searches here.....is an absolute ton of info to be had........No pun intended..... :lol:

Presently in the stable
1969 Ford F-350 DRW
1989 Chevy S-10 Tahoe ( It gets me to work and back and fetches parts and groceries)
1981 Buick Regal ( My deceased uncles last project/driver....renamed project Regal Eagle to be finished in his honor)
MurrayPro92

Post by MurrayPro92 »

Haha nice! I was just reading a wonderful article here about converting to PS. I keep looking and I am finding tons of info! :fr:
TNIceWolf
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by TNIceWolf »

Some other things you may want to consider. There are two types of 4 speed trans. The T18 and the NP435. The reverse gear shift will tell you which is in it. The T18 is to the left and towards the dash. The 435 is to the right and back toward the seat. Fuel mileage is the dealbreaker for most people looking for a daily driver. With the Dana 70 rear end you can expect 8 to 12 MPG.....and usually closer to 8....or 9. Mine uses both the receiver and gooseneck hitches....no problem there other than possibly multiple trailer wiring for hookups. With the one ton DRW you may want to consider steering wheel size if going to PS. When towing and backing trailers it means a LOT. The stock wheel is going to be a bear to cross. A smaller diameter wheel will help compensate for that with PS. As concerns towing the all drum brake setup is going to be a pain as well.......it just wont run and stop like a modern truck....so slower trips are required. I cant express how important it is to not ride bumpers and try to keep up. And extra stopping distance is absolutely critical.

Presently in the stable
1969 Ford F-350 DRW
MurrayPro92

Post by MurrayPro92 »

Ahh. Is there a better trans of the 2? Thanks for the heads up on the ride of these things. Most experience I have is with a couple old K20s we have. They are old but they still have power brakes and steering so this ol bump would be a much different feel.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Not really.Most of those but pumpkin 4 speeds swap out but don't give an overdrive option. I'm running a Cummins in mine and with a 47rh Dodge trans (OD + lock up converter) and 3.5 gears I manage 18 mpg running the interstate and around town. A 390 4 speed manual steering and drum brakes is going to be a handful empty (10mpg) and no fun at all with a gooseneck full of beef food (5-7mpg).

Personally if you like it and can afford it, buy it as a 2nd vehicle and build it to what you want it to do. That's the route I went by finding the best stuff I could and building it with those parts. Low cost but long time. I'd look for a decent small car in the meantime so you aren't spending all your cash on fueling the beast.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
MurrayPro92

Post by MurrayPro92 »

Good point!

I am going to go look at this ol girl Sunday. I will still keep an eye out for other vehicles incase this falls through or, like you said, I may not want to daily this thing so much.

Funny thing, my brother is in the same pain in the butt situation. He has a 1997 F250 with a 460, auto, 4WD, extended cab, shortbed. Great truck with good power but even empty that thing gets like 10MPG when you drive like a grandma. Good truck though and it looks nice so he keeps driving it. "Can't put a price on cool" so he says.
SeapineF37

Post by SeapineF37 »

no doubt its a cool truck. and love to keep adding to the dually club here as a fellow member!
but also very true what Rancho50 points out. i run a 72 390 np235 dana 70 setup and yes the mileage isnt good but its a strong combo.
you should plan on doing a bunch of work on the truck though. looks like its got headers and that means prob engine work over the years which may be a good thing, but you will want better brakes and power steering for sure. work means money and time so you have to be up for it. don't let it turn you off because many who love these trucks have done / are doing the same. just go into the deal being honest with yourself on what your plan will be.
good luck and we will be here to help if you choose the red pill... :thup:
1972 F350 seapine green cab/chassis drw
only one who has learned much can fully appreciate his own ignorance. louis l'amour
MurrayPro92

Post by MurrayPro92 »

Lol thanks!! I try to stay logistical about it but I know once I get there and see it in person I will probably just drool and look over all the imperfections. Gonna try not to though! Thats also why i am bringing my buddy who was an ASE certified mechanic for many years and another buddy of mine who is a diesel mechanic (I know not much use but he know his stuff) and both of them are going to be good at making me say no if it is not worth it so I should be okay I think.

I did message with the seller some and I asked if it was currently tagged and legal. He replied with no but it was last year. Said he has many vehicles and this one does not get drove. I asked if it would pass inspection (required in TX but it would only need safety) and he said the brake light switch is not working right but he has a new one ready to install in it.
two-bit
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by two-bit »

Another dually owner here chiming in....
Cool factor. Huge.
Practical for a day driver...not in my book.
My truck got 10mg on its best day ever, avg is about 8. Rides like a bouncing lumber wagon empty, I have P.S. and P.B. and it is a benefit. A great benefit. 4 drum brakes are barely adequate for my truck, downshifting is a must ! Turn radius ???? Ha Ha plan on a football field, atleast.
In my opinion, the DRW trucks were really made to be work trucks, not day drivers. They were made to haul large work loads, tow large loads and they were made to do it at lower speeds than the average vehicle travels now.
My DRW has been expensive to maintain. Lots of parts are special order for me. Most of the brake and axle parts have been hard to find and once found, days to get.
I would recommend you get a lil' truck. ie: Ranger, Mazda, ect. Parts are readily available, aftermarket support is great. Mileage won't kill your check book, and insurance will be cheap too!
Not trying to crush your dream, just giving my opinion.
Two-bit
Living life full throttle on the North Coast of America!!!

72' F-350, DRW, 360, NP435, Dana 70, 159" WB, P.S., P.B., 12' flatbed, 10,000 GVW.
MurrayPro92

Post by MurrayPro92 »

Good points. Mighty good points. Trying to use 50 year old technology in todays society may sound fun but may not be the most practical. I have been looking at Rangers and oh boy I did find one I liked! Seller was quite rude though I must say. Pretty much told me the truck was not for me. Really upset me. It was a nice truck and all too. But anyways oh well. If this Dually deal does not work out maybe it would be for the best and there are PLENTY of Rangers out there for sale. The little kid in me is just begging for the dually though lol It's kinda like the kids who had a poster of a lambo in they're bedroom and wanted one but then when (if) they get one they realize they are not at all that practical.
Subzero
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Subzero »

I tried the whole having a 45+ year old truck thing as a daily for awhile and it's not too fun in rush hour traffic on a 4 lane interstate. Sunday/Saturday drives though, can't be beat by anything new for sure. I have had another car to drive that's newer and it's great for traffic and getting me where I need to go with good mpg. If you have your dads old truck maybe buy a newer car for daily use and fix the old Bump up and then one day you'll have a show truck with a good history. This site is a lifesaver for fixing these old rigs and as you've probably found, there isn't a better site out there for Bumpsides. I would burn my other car to the ground before I let the F100 go, it is a project truck for me and once it's completed will be driven for fun or to enjoy- I'll curse the 2 mile backup in AC comfort and 4 wheel power disc brakes :lol:
1972 F100 Sport Custom-2WD, Aqua Blue and Wimbleton White, LWB, 302 V8 and C4 trans, P/S, P/B - under construction

Gone but not forgotten: 1968 F100 Ranger- 2WD, LWB, original rebuilt 360 V8, Autolite 2bbl carb, C6 Trans, Hedman Headers, Powermaster Racing Starter, H-Pipe and Glasspacks, P/S, P/B, A/C