Looking at Buying a Bump for Daily Driving

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

Davy13

Re: Looking at Buying a Bump for Daily Driving

Post by Davy13 »

Thought I'd chime in on this, as I use my '69 as my daily driver (ever since my 2000 VW burned out its clutch). I was a little reluctant at first, but you know what? This truck just drives better and better each day. It fires up as easy as any modern car, even though I have to use a manual choke, and it simply loves to be driven. It has been about 4 months now, and while the gas mileage isn't even close to my VW's, I've also adjusted to allow myself more time in the morning to warm it up, and to drive a little slower (which helps a bit). I stay off of the Garden State Parkway, and take only backroads home. At the end of the day, an extra 10 minutes in the truck avoiding the highways is something I really look forward to. My commute in, I'll take the highways, but only because I am the only one out there, so I can cruise along at 55 or 60 in a 65 zone, and not be hassled by Jersey drivers wanting to go 80. I drive about 45 miles a day. I teach high school in a resort community, so the roads are pretty desolate in the Winter time. My Summer job is only 5 miles from home, so that commute is no issue. Every time I come up with $500 for a VW clutch, I simply spend a little on the truck (I recently installed a windshield washer and found a period-correct Philco radio and bezel), and then spend the rest on other stuff like Flyers tickets for my son and me. It is hard to explain, but this truck has simply enhanced my life in so many different ways. I've "slowed down" in a good way, for sure. I figured, if I ever need to go any significant distance, I'll take my wife's Kia. And it kinda feels cool to talk to strangers AT LEAST once a day about the truck. Everyone seems to have a story of their grandfather or uncle and how they would love to drive one... The cool factor is WAAAAAY high, for sure. I even piled a bunch of cheerleaders in the back for the homecoming parade, and now parents only want to talk about the truck at back-to-school night, instead of how their kid needs to study more. lol. If you are able to take a shot at using one every day, I say, go for it!
1969 Ford F-100 Ol' Red
302 V8, 2WD short bed
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Looking at Buying a Bump for Daily Driving

Post by sargentrs »

Hey Davy! My wife has a Kia Sorento and I do the same thing. She trades it in for a new one every time the warranty comes close to running out and has had a new car payment for the last 15 years and says she always will :lol: I'll jump on the bandwagon too. Keep in mind, I don't have the traffic problems a lot of you guys do. Before the tear down, I drove my bump as my daily driver for 7 years. 90 mile round trip to work and everywhere I went on weekends. Enjoyed every minute and, even though she wasn't in the the best condition, always got compliments and thumbs up on the road or stopping for gas or whatever. Like Davy, seems like everybody's dad or grandpa had one and always ended up in reminiscing about the good times long ago. After starting my build project, I spent the next 4 years driving older Toyotas and Hondas as my drivers. While I saved $$ on gas, it just wasn't the same and I missed the room in the cabin and the feel of the road under my hands and seat. Bought a '74 Dodge Dart after that and drove it for over a year but, while an improvement, just wasn't the same. I'm a Ford man and driving a Dodge was like a redneck hillbilly trying to learn Japanese. Then I got my '64 Fairlane and have been driving it for a year and a half now. The best part of my day is driving to and from work. I love having all that leg and head room, the feel of the road in my hands and the visibility of the big windows. I find myself driving slower and more carefully because I don't want to stress her out and, let's admit it, she does tend to wander and sway with the road. I feel a connection with the road and a feeling of timelessness as I drive. I installed an aftermarket radio/mp3/bluetooth unit and speakers and jam to my favorite classic rock tunes or listen to talk radio as I'm driving. I'm in no hurry anymore. Almost every day somebody waves or points and I see them smile and turn to say something to their friends as I drive by. I go to the local cruise ins almost every time they have them and park my old driver right in the middle of those fancy trailer queens. People are amazed when I tell them it's the only car I own and my daily driver. I'm with Davy, go for it!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.