1971 F250 w/AC heater core

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 1971 F250 w/AC heater core

Post by sargentrs »

From my factory AC rebuild thread http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =8&t=80023 Sorry, but at the time I think I got the last one. Searches a few days later yielded zero results. Maybe another has popped up by now. VistaPro 399038.

"One of my biggest fears was that my heater core would be bad. Everywhere I've read here says nobody remans them and I've been unable to find one in all the usual catalogs and websites. Plenty of heater only cores but no heater/AC cores. Not knowing the part number was a hindrance so I went to the Diagrams and Schematics section and looked at the exploded view of the unit. Knowing the basic schema of Ford part numbers led me to a Google search for "heater core" "-18476-" and down the rabbit hole I went. Google led me to an old Ebay ad for the core I need but referenced a Vista Pro part number 399038 and a Modine part number 702212 http://www.ebay.com/itm/361179250830. This led me to an Econoline forum where a guy said the Modine part number referenced part number C8UZ-18476-A or B but another Ebay ad and Rockauto search leads me to believe the Econoline core is too long. Sure enough, another google search and got a hit for a Vista Pro 399038 at RockAuto and I snatched it up for $12.97! Hopefully it's the right one :hmm: Here's what my core looked like when I got it out. If the Rockauto one doesn't pan out, and I fail to find one, I'll have to try to get it repaired. Looks like the PO tried to pull the unit out and forgot to unclamp a hose so it's bent over and crinkled into the top. Also pretty badly corroded."
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
scotty642

Re: 1971 F250 w/AC heater core

Post by scotty642 »

I ran up against this problem a couple years ago.

Here's what I did.

I had the heater core out of the factory a/c unit and the one out of the non a/c unit.

Besides the inlet/outlet piping, they are exactly the same core... in every way.

I mounted each one in succession in a vise and using a blow torch removed the pipes form each.

I measured the factory a/c heater core for the pipe locations and transferred those locations to the non a/c core.

In the original pipe holes of the non a/c core I tapped in a 5/8 inch brass freeze plugs and soldered in place

I then drilled 5/8 holes in the lower copper tank using a rotobroach. Inserted the factory a/c inlet outlet pipes into the now modified heater core and soldered in place.

works fine so far...

If anyone is interested:

I have a CAD drawing for a replacement front trim panel. I had a place here in Houston laser cut it out of a piece of mild steel sheetmetal.

includes bolt hole centers and they laser cut those too and I enlarged the holes on the drill press.

incorporates the original registers.