Additives

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

BrockGrimes

Additives

Post by BrockGrimes »

Not sure if this is a general discussion or needs moved but here goes.
What additives do you use?

I run lucas in the gas tank on occasion but I have done the following when I lived in NM.
http://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-oil-91206/

Basically it's 2 cycle tcw3 marine oil added 1oz to every 5 gal of gas. If you view the above thread it's got 1000+ posts and is still active.
And people have tried it in everything, lawnmowers, go karts, tractors, GTO's, trucks, cars, etc. etc. I even ran it in a 79 CJ5 and worked great.
I point this out to those looking for an alternative and want to save cash.
If it's not broke, MOD IT!

1972 F100 short wheel base, 302, C6, 9"
bkyger

Re: Additives

Post by bkyger »

I run a can (or applicable amount) of seafoam with every oil change in everything I own that takes gas.
1972 Highboy 4spd w/ 360
1969 Mercury Montego MX
1969 Chevy Nova
2009 Yamaha Raider 1900cc
2008 Harley Streetglide
fastEdsel
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Additives

Post by fastEdsel »

You can't beat any one of those products, the Lucas, Sea Foam or even the odd shot of ATF in the fuel. We have been using a product called "Trick Flow" in the oil for supposed added protection for the cam and lifters due to the zinc being taken out of the modern oils. The Edsel is now sporting a GT390 that dynode 325 HP and 420 ft pounds of torque. The cam was changed to an RV cam so it has some jam for sure but worried about cam break in etc the Trick Flow was added. We also changed the cam in the 345 International to a "Comp Cam." We also changed the lifters and the cam has a little more duration so it too has enough power for what we do with it. The Trick Flow in this engine produced an immediate decrease in fuel consumption also. The engines both broke in very well and the oil is really slippery to the touch. Some other gearhead friends of mine are also using the Trick Flow in their flat tappet, flat head Ford's and they claim it makes a difference in engine longevity.