Behind the Wheel of Vintage Steel

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

Crabenho

Post by Crabenho »

Life in the Slow Lane

I have always been attracted to classic vehicles, cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, planes….you get the idea. I’ve been known to have pinup type moments with pictures of old tractors. However, over the past couple years my lust for all things vintage mechanical has morphed into an urge that has become hard to ignore. Hindsight has since revealed the cosmic alignment happening unbeknownst to me that explains my mysterious craving of Schlitz beer. In short, I was devolving. It crept up slowly and hit me; I belong in the slow lane, behind the wheel of vintage steel.

As I age, I’m placing greater importance on simplifying all aspects of my life, less stress and stronger more meaningful relationships with family and friends. I hope my urge is related to the bigger picture slowing and simplifying of life in general. Though the close proximity to mid-life crisis age has not escaped me, I like to think this is bigger than a temporary age related craving.

I’m not going to buy a classic and just drive it on warm Sundays with the windows down. My goal for this transportation experiment is to last at least a year with a classic truck as my primary four wheeled transportation. I’m going to abandon the trappings of my modern four wheel drive truck for something simple, old and with more than a little soul. I have a couple reasons for wanting to document this journey. I think there is some legitimate value to sharing the experience; I’m going to learn things that may be useful to other enthusiasts or people that have considered doing the same thing. It might just be valuable to me, that’s ok too. I also think there is going to be a healthy amount of comedic value.

To be completely fair, I have to admit that I commute a healthy part of the year (warmer months) on a motorcycle. That doesn’t mean the truck won’t be relied upon daily for non-commute type stuff like dropping my 3 year old at daycare, dog park, grocery getting, etc.
Once I had my old truck epiphany I did what most logically came next…. I started secretly shopping for a truck behind my wife’s back. I would have to wait for just the right moment to tell my conservative wife that I’m trading my comfy, reliable commuter and buying a truck nearly as old as I am. A moment that “right” might never come.

I knew I wanted old, but exactly how old and what model needed to be decided. I wanted something old enough to be considered a “classic” truck but had to determine a year range that offered basic reliability and comfort, like power steering and power brakes. I needed something that had vintage lines and was largely void of plastic, something a weekend warrior wrench could actually troubleshoot and repair.

Google rocks! I started a blitzkrieg type search confined to the bigger manufacturers, Ford, Chevy and GMC. I started by searching specific years “1967 Ford Truck” and worked my way up the years until I felt it was no longer considered classic. Each search offered a ton of Google Images to look over so I could decide basic stuff like body lines, grill, color, even headlight shape. I searched many years of each manufacturer repeatedly, waiting for just the right body style to jump out and grab me. After countless hours of searching the winner appeared! The 1970 Ford F-250 2wd Camper Special gave me the tingly gut feel I needed to move forward. The round headlights, angular body lines, two tone paint job and a huge sweeping speedometer framed in a spartan dash did it for me. Is it coincidence that I was attracted to the same year truck that I was born in? All I know is the moment I saw the truck I was hooked.

The next step (no, not telling my wife) was to research the best engine and transmission combination. Some online Ford forum lurking on FORDification quickly led me to the 390 cubic inch motor with automatic transmission. The 390 seemed to get good press for reliability, was big enough to do everything I would ask of it but not so big the mileage would destroy my wallet.

I started searching the typical places for my new ride, Craigslist, Ebay, Autotrader, etc. I wasn’t having a lot of luck. I covertly test drove a couple local trucks. I was feeling pretty depressed about the lack of quality trucks in my price range. While looking at more Google Images I happened upon what looked like a for sale ad for a fantastic condition F-250 Sport Custom Camper Special about 5 hours away in Grand Junction. I called the number listed and spoke to the original owner of the truck, who bought it with her husband in 1970 and used it to travel the US and Canada to the tune of 94,000 miles. It lived in the same dry climate its whole life. It still sported the original paint with a rust free body and near perfect interior. After speaking to her on the phone I knew I had found the perfect truck but couldn’t bring myself to commit to it sight unseen. I was heading into a 5 day work week and suspected it might not be around when I finally had the chance to go look at it. I knew things were about to get serious.

I had potentially found the perfect truck! I knew I had reached the terminal point where I had to tell my wife. Was this the “right moment”? Hell no. This was going to take the skills of a master negotiator. That night we were sitting at the table and I sensed a brief moment where her forcefield lost power (all married men have a heightened ability to sense spousal weakness). I had to act! Before I could think, I clumsily blurted “I want to sell my truck and get and old truck!” What had I done! Where were the words I had rehearsed for days? Where was the Rico Suave smoothness? It all crumbled away as she gave me the look typically reserved for the dog when it barfs on the carpet. I had to recover. I needed the master negotiator! Minutes later all proceeds from the impending sale of my Nissan Titan were going to pay bills and finance a 2012 trip to Disneyland. Had I won? Hell yes…I think! I left with a very tentative approval to proceed! It was more like a strong maybe but I ran with it.

I was close to having the perfect truck but still couldn’t look at it for nearly a week. After stewing over it a while I had a great idea. I got on a local motorcycle forum that I frequent and asked if there were any car guys in Grand Junction that would go look over this truck in exchange for beer money. The next morning I got a call from a seriously cool guy named Greg who lived near the truck and happens to build custom cars. Short story, Greg met with the owner, took over 30 pictures and talked with me over the phone. I bought the truck on the spot!
Last edited by Crabenho on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Calfdemon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Behind the Wheel of Vintage Steel

Post by Calfdemon »

:wel: From SoCal and awesome first post!!! I could totally relate to everything you posted as we are the same age and we Both went through the same "right" moment. Only I braved the wrath twice! Lol
-Rich

Current toys -
69 Ford F350 Crew Cab - 460 / C6 - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... lqgskp.jpg
31 Ford Vicky - 1955 270 Red Ram Hemi / 4 speed - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bsibvn.jpg

Former toys -
67 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible (sold 9/13) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bird-1.jpg
67 Ford Fairlane GT - 390 / 4 speed (sold 7/15) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... c5hu8z.jpg
Bumpside Collector
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bumpside Collector »

Have you ever watched A Christmas Story. You sound just like Ralph trying to figure out how to get that Red Ryder BB gun with the compass in the stock. I loved the story and I can't wait to see some photos of the truck!
CHEESE?!?

Running:
2012 Ford Focus SE hatchback
2007 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4.6 Auto
1972 F-350 Flatbed 360 2V 4 speed

Not Running:
1967 F-100 Ranger Short Bed
1970 F-100 Ranger Long Bed
1972 F-100 Ranger XLT long Bed
1972 F-350 Really long dump flatbed parts truck
1981 F-250 Custom Long Bed (Parting out now)
MrMajestyk
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by MrMajestyk »

:wel: Crabenho :thup:

I'm looking forward to reading about you adventures...Thanks for taking the time to share them :wink:
Crabenho

Post by Crabenho »

Thanks for the reply's and welcomes!

Wow! Sorry about the delayed response. The last week has been a little busy and overwhelming. I have some catching up to do. First, here is the truck:
1970 Ford F-250, 390 with C6 Trans, 94,080 Miles, Original Owner, Original Paint (Reef Aqua & Wimbledon White)

I absolutely love this truck but the last week has been a little stressful. Over the past 20 years I have turned soft with my new vehicles and dealer performed maintenance. I used to wrench on trucks quite a bit when I was younger but my skills are pretty rusty.

My self prescribed deadline of the end of September to sell my Nissan is rapidly approaching. I need to get the Ford to a reasonable reliability level before then. I can fall back on my motorcycle for awhile but….. winter is coming.

The truck had been sitting since 2004 when the primary driver passed away. His wife parked it in the garage and let it sit. I had a great time talking to her. She very vividly remembered the day they bought the truck and had some great stories to tell. They put a camper in the back and used it to travel Canada and the US. I’m still in touch with her and hope to get my hands on some old pics of the truck in camper mode on the road. I got a real sense of the trucks history; I really like that kind of stuff. It was however very hard to leave as the wife and daughter both stood in the driveway and cried as I pulled away.

On kind of a fun side note, they kept very meticulous track of their receipts, even going so far as to write the current mileage on the service tickets. As a result, I was able to form a pretty complete history of major services from 1986 to 2004. Being the history/organization nerd that I am, I entered all of the receipts in a spreadsheet so I could get a solid overview of services performed and see how the mileage trended over the years. I realize that level of organization isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but some of you might enjoy it so I’ll post it.

Service History

Year 1986

Date 29-Oct

Service Performed:
Mileage: Unknown
Radiator Service. System Flush. Thermostat and Gasket. 5' of heater Hose.

Date 16-May

Service Performed:
Mileage: 75,236
Light Truck Roadhandler Gas Shocks

Date 17-Jul

Service Performed:
Mileage: 76,293
1 Set Brake Pads
Front Rotors turned
2 Wheel Seals
1QT Oil for Air Filter
Re-Pack Wheel Bearings Front and Rear
Tighten Torsion Bars
Replace Rubber Bushings
Lube Front
Check Air Filter Oil Level

Date 20-Mar

Service Performed:
Mileage: 77,375
Brake Service
Rebuild Front Calipers
Replace 1 Piston
Replace Brake Lines
New Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter
New Points, Condenser and Wires
Reset Timing
Tune and Reset Carburetor

Date 5-May

Service Performed:
Mileage: 78,819
Replace Alternator
Replace Voltage Regulator
Replace Starter Solenoid
New Battery
Dual Battery Setup for Camper. Move Truck Battery to Left Side.
Install Heavy Duty Battery and Tray on Right Side.
Replace Windshield

Date 9-Jul

Service Performed:
Mileage: 80,216
4 New Tires

Date 12-May

Service Performed:
Mileage: 81,830
Rebuild Carburetor
Carb Dip
Replace Spark Plugs
Replace Points
Replace Condenser

Date 18-May

Service Performed:
Replace Relay

Date 11-Jul

Service Performed:
Replace Manifold (Exhaust?) and Gasket Set

Date 3-Jul

Service Performed:
Replace Battery

Date 8-Mar

Service Performed:
Mileage: 85,554
Oil Change
Replace Radiator Cap

Date 2-Jun

Service Performed:
Replace Alternator
Replace Alternator and Power Steering Belts

Date 1-Jul

Service Performed:
Mileage: 88,611
Rebuild Transmission
Replace Torque Converter

Date 15-Jul

Service Performed:
Mileage: 90,451
Replace Front Brake Pads
Replace Left Front Rotor
Resurface Right Front Rotor
Rear Brake Check = 50%

Date 16-Jul

Service Performed:
Mileage: 90,451
Oil and Filter Change
Air Filter Oil Service
Rear Differential Service
Drive Train Zerks Greased

Date 15-Jul

Service Performed:
Mileage: 91,936
4 New Tires

Primary driver passed away.
Current mileage 94,080.
Truck stored indoors.
No consistent driving until sale in 2011.

When I got my hands on it I was able to keep it running long enough to get it on the trailer but that was it. Gas was leaking out of the carburetor, it was bucking like a wild horse, all of the fluids needed to be changed and there were a couple massive exhaust leaks. I got the truck home, immediately made a parts list and headed to NAPA. (I’m currently on my 4th list and NAPA run).
Last edited by Crabenho on Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
forrestbump
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by forrestbump »

Beautiful Truck! I'm partial to 1970 Ford Trucks myself, I've got two! I'm with you on knowing the history of my vehicles, if at all possible, but it's usually not the case that all of that history is recorded to the degree yours has been.

Thank YOU for sharing...
1970, 2WD, F-250, C/S, Dual Tanks, 390 FE (of course), C6, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Dana 60 3.73, Sky View Blue, Ranger XLT

1970, 2WD, F-250, C/S, A/C, Dual Tanks, 390 FE (again, of course), C6, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Dana 60 3.73, Wimbledon White & Sky View Blue, Ranger (almost twin brothers!)

"One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do" - Henry Ford

Larry
Bumpside Collector
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bumpside Collector »

Man that is cool! You got a lot of history with that truck. I'll never know the history of my trucks because they have all been multiple owner trucks.
CHEESE?!?

Running:
2012 Ford Focus SE hatchback
2007 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4.6 Auto
1972 F-350 Flatbed 360 2V 4 speed

Not Running:
1967 F-100 Ranger Short Bed
1970 F-100 Ranger Long Bed
1972 F-100 Ranger XLT long Bed
1972 F-350 Really long dump flatbed parts truck
1981 F-250 Custom Long Bed (Parting out now)
MrMajestyk
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by MrMajestyk »

How cool is that :thup:

I always knew that someday I'd own a bump especially a '70 as it was the first vehicle
I was allowed to drive by myself so when I saw Mr.Majestyk at an estate sale I knew
he was coming home with me and I'm planning on driving him while I slowly rebuild :D

Excellent paper trail !
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Crabenho,
It is interesting how some of the same motivation can lead different people to the same place. I have been engaged in simplifiying my life for 5 years now. As I do that I find the old stuff is the best, old guns, old knives, (Case preferably) and most certainly old trucks. I sold my 08 F450 that got a fantastic 8 miles to the gal! My son totaled my Toyota truck, (I almost thanked him). We sold our big house and are searching for property to build a smaller home with a well and all the self sufficient goodies that go along with having your own land. I quit using banks and credit cards, banks for depositing only. We pay as we go or we don't go. But something really cool comes over me when I drive my 69 250. It's like I am saying piss off to everyone, Im driving a 42 year old truck by choice, and I love it!!! Anyway your truck looks great and it looks like you made a great buy. Good luck with it and enjoy.
Tim
Crabenho

Post by Crabenho »

Timbo, right on brother! :clap:
ezernut9mm
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ezernut9mm »

beautiful truck and excellent story. thanks for sharing.
wanting to buy a mercury tailgate!
"the man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it".- woodrow wilson

ImageImageImage
cdeal28078
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cdeal28078 »

Nice truck and story. Not being negative but your truck doesn't have a C4. It should be a C6. Just for your information is all.
I love the color comb. Real close to the Swiss Aqua of my 71 F100 SportCustom. It is great that you have so much of the work history on the truck. Welcome to the site. You will enjoy it. There is a ton of knowledge here
clint
71 F100 SportCustom
460 C6. Disc Brake/Power-steering/automatic Swap. 3.00
1986 Bronco 5.0 AOD
Crabenho

Post by Crabenho »

cdeal28078 wrote:Nice truck and story. Not being negative but your truck doesn't have a C4. It should be a C6. Just for your information is all.
I love the color comb. Real close to the Swiss Aqua of my 71 F100 SportCustom. It is great that you have so much of the work history on the truck. Welcome to the site. You will enjoy it. There is a ton of knowledge here
clint
Thanks Clint, I thought it was a C6. Then I thought I saw something on the vin that indicated otherwise. I'm too new to these things to know better.
NM5K
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by NM5K »

Clean machine. :thup:
1968 F-250 / 300 six / T-18
Dana 60 - 4.10 Limited Slip
Crabenho

Post by Crabenho »

The last few weeks have been adventurous and a lot of fun. I’ve stopped keeping track of my NAPA trips. The two parts guys don’t even have to ask me what I drive when I walk in. I’ve been using the truck every day for work commuting, errands, hauling dirt bikes and dogs into the mountains and ferrying my 3 year old to daycare.

I’ve logged about 1500 miles since I bought it. I had to swallow a little pride the first week when at 41 years old I had to call my mom to come tow me to my house. It died in front of my favorite Mexican restaurant. It was close to lunch so I left it in the street and went inside to give it time to think about its bad choices. That said, my comfort level with its reliability is getting higher by the day. I’ve stopped clenching up at stop lights, wondering if it is going to keep idling. I no longer have to use the gas pedal “feather push feather pray technique” when accelerating from intersections. It is purring like a kitten and no longer smells like an emissions test drop out. My wife will ride in it and has dropped the theory that our 3 year old sleeps so well in it due to carbon monoxide in the cab.

I’m going to back up a couple weeks and detail the experiences that got me to where I am today.

My very first task the day after I picked up the truck was to stop the gas from pouring out of the accelerator pump gasket. I thought to myself, “That’s a freaking huge air filter!” I popped the top and pulled it off without really looking at it. I was standing at the front of the truck and reached in to grab the filter element and froze when my fingers dipped into a pool of oil. I immediately spoke out loud “This is really bad!” (language cleaned up for forum use). After I pulled the air cleaner base and noticed the “oil fill” line I realized I had something special. A quick trip to FORDification and Google informed me that my truck had the optional oil bath air filter. This discovery cleared up the giant question mark I had around one of the old maintenance log entrys “Checked air filter oil level”.

I REALLY wanted to drive it so I replaced the accelerator pump gasket from my newly acquired carb rebuild kit, got it running (barely), propped my arm in the window and headed down to the local lube joint to get some fluids changed. My arrival caused some commotion as the lube manager was convinced the truck was going to catch fire in the service bay and was trying to get me to pull it out. I refused (after the truck wouldn’t start) and started my own Occupy Grease Monkey movement. Cooler heads prevailed. They changed all my fluids and have since come to regret their free top off guarantee.
That night, while I was out with my wife and daughter, our neighbor called me on my cell in her best hushed private detective voice to tell me a “sketchy looking truck” was backed in next to our house and wondered if she should call the cops.

The secondary tank was ¾ full so I decided to try and rehabilitate the existing gas. I topped off the tank with 91 octane and added a bottle of Sea Foam. Hindsight being what it is, this was a mistake. I should have drained the tank and started fresh. That tank of gas was a major PITA. Once I ran it through, changed the fuel filter and filled it with fresh gas my life got a little easier. The following carb rebuild was huge as well. I discovered that tuning anything is a waste of time until the carb is sorted out.
Over the next couple of weeks I rebuilt the carb, replaced plugs and wires and bought and borrowed a timing light, vacuum gauge, digital torque wrench and dwell meter. It was time to learn how to tune.

The day I bought the truck, the sweet old lady that owned it came to me and handed me a random metal clip of some kind. She informed me that when she decided to sell the truck (after it sat for 7 years) she went out to the garage to start it, pull it into the driveway and take pictures (surprise, it didn’t start). She told me her 80 year old neighbor came over to help her out. He worked on the truck for some time but couldn’t get it started and he has macular degeneration so he couldn’t see where the random metal clip came from. At the time I thought that was a cute story; my dad and I had a good laugh over it on the way home with the truck in tow. Come to find out, the little half blind gremlin was busy under that hood.
As I mentioned previously, air fuel mixtures, vacuum, dwell, and timing are tuning skills that I have been on a crash course to learn. The last couple weeks have been very rewarding as I have built my base level tuning skills, and discovered what advanced macular degeneration does to the tuning process.

Air Fuel Mixture Screws = 3 3/4 Turns Out
Timing = 4 deg BTDC
Vacuum Reading = 11
Dwell = 38 deg
#1 plug (probably pulled to check spark?) returned to hole but not turned in.

I’m still tweaking things as I start to understand them better. Here are the current settings:

Air Fuel Mixture Screws = 2 1/4 Turns Out
Timing = 11 deg BTDC (Note to Self: Fan blade hurts)
Vacuum Reading = 15 (Note to Self: Don’t reach up to gas it when tuning it in drive)
Dwell = 28 deg

Once I had it tuned I decided it was time to swallow my fear and tackle the exhaust leaks at the right manifold and doughnut gaskets. That experience has a few technical nuggets that are worth writing up in the “Engine” discussion section. I’ll post a link to it here once I have it written up. I have lots of good stuff to share including detailed pics.

A warm fall day is the best time to be cruising with the windows down in an old pickup.