Moderator: FORDification

custom cab

Re: Behind the Wheel of Vintage Steel

Post by custom cab »

outstanding
Crabenho

Post by Crabenho »

It looked like a fat kid on a trampoline. The grainy, dark footage from the security camera made me realize why there have been so many Bigfoot sightings. The image was however clear enough to make the security guard groan as my Ford careened across the parking lot in reverse, jumped the median and viciously mauled his wife’s new Jeep Patriot.
ezernut9mm
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ezernut9mm »

uh oh, the venerable foe. the nemesis, thy name is parking prawl. i am glad that you are still driving that sweet f250. how bad was the damage? (btw i am stealing your "ode to wing window" and posting it on the 61-66 ford truck forum-credit to you of course.)
wanting to buy a mercury tailgate!
"the man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it".- woodrow wilson

ImageImageImage
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Oh vicious parking pawl, who's failure put the 'custom' contours in my folk's garage door...
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Chickenhawk368

Post by Chickenhawk368 »

Crabenho wrote:It looked like a fat kid on a trampoline. The grainy, dark footage from the security camera made me realize why there have been so many Bigfoot sightings. The image was however clear enough to make the security guard groan as my Ford careened across the parking lot in reverse, jumped the median and viciously mauled his wife’s new Jeep Patriot.
You sir need to give it a good talking to! I have found that bumps can be territorial, and are quite pouty. Mine tried to attack my SuperHawk, no doubt combination of the bike getting the majority of the miles and being parked in the Bumps garage. :doh: Did the Bump see you getting out of the wifes car? :nono: Just sit it down and explain to it that the new member of your familly will never replace it.
Crabenho

Post by Crabenho »

It looked like a fat kid on a trampoline. The grainy, dark footage from the security camera made me realize why there have been so many Bigfoot sightings. The image was however clear enough to make the security guard groan as my Ford careened across the parking lot in reverse, jumped the median and viciously mauled his wife’s new Jeep Patriot.

It was a cold night; I was at the tail end of a 12 hr shift. I thought it would be a good idea to warm up the truck before I left. I have often wondered about the seemingly excessive 1500 rpm high idle as prescribed by my trusty Ford manual and as usual, it crossed my mind as I kicked the pedal down and fired her up. Once the truck is warm it sounds like it is prepped for a green light launch at the ¼ mile. After I fired it up and was confident it would stay idling I headed back to my office to shoot the crap with the oncoming shift for a few minutes.

Ten minutes later I left the building and strolled to my parking spot. As I stared at the empty spot, the first 3 to 5 seconds were spent in utter confusion as my brain locked up and performed a hard reboot. MY TRUCK WAS GONE!

I had parked in the first row of the lot near the front door. There was about 20ft of space behind my truck before the second row of cars. Beyond the second row was a small median separating it from the third row. The second row was full except for one spot. My truck was nowhere to be seen. As I started to believe it was actually stolen and starting to hyperventilate I heard the faintest sound of a motor out in the parking lot beyond the second row of cars. It was growling low as if under a strain.

I sprinted through the one open spot in the second row and spotted my truck in a fatal embrace with the little Jeep. Against all odds, when it threw itself into reverse (at 1500 rpm), it peeled out, shot the gap through the one open spot in the second row, jumped the median and while bouncing, found the only vehicle in the rest of the parking lot. Viciously working its way down the entire passenger side of the Jeep it destroyed everything from the rocker panels to the bottom of the windows until my bumper finally got tangled up in the rear quarter panel. That is where I found it, hunkered down and growling like a predator chewing a hunk out of its prey.

Luckily I had left the passenger door open because there was no getting to the driver’s side. I figured the best approach to separating the two was to use the Band-Aid technique. I put it in drive and hit the gas. The low groan and shriek of metal on metal had me in a panic. All I could think about was how irreplaceable my 42 year old paint and body panels were.

With a sick stomach, I jumped out of the truck to survey the damage. I stood in disbelief as I realized I had destroyed the entire passenger side of the Jeep. I quickly turned to start taking in the damage to my truck. I kept looking and looking but could only find a small red scuff on the corner of the rear bumper and a cracked left rear marker light.

I parked and walked in to let security know my bump had committed a heinous crime. I walked up to the old security guard on duty and told him my truck had destroyed a red Jeep Patriot. His face turned a little pale as he managed to gasp “I drive a red Jeep Patriot!”. I followed him as he ran out the door muttering “oh no, oh no”. Apparently it was his wife’s new car and he was given clear orders not to drive it to work.

The damage total for the Jeep ended up around $4000. I duct taped my red marker light in place and put the incident behind me. Months later I got around to finding a replacement marker light on Craigslist for $5. I thought enough time had passed and the wounds his wife had inflicted would be healed so I wrote up a bill for $5 worth of collision repair reimbursement and presented it to the guard. He didn’t think it was funny.

What IS funny is the fact that it was 2 degrees this morning as I sat in the bump with my foot on the brake, warming it up for work.
Crabenho

Post by Crabenho »

Chickenhawk368 wrote:
Crabenho wrote:It looked like a fat kid on a trampoline. The grainy, dark footage from the security camera made me realize why there have been so many Bigfoot sightings. The image was however clear enough to make the security guard groan as my Ford careened across the parking lot in reverse, jumped the median and viciously mauled his wife’s new Jeep Patriot.
You sir need to give it a good talking to! I have found that bumps can be territorial, and are quite pouty. Mine tried to attack my SuperHawk, no doubt combination of the bike getting the majority of the miles and being parked in the Bumps garage. :doh: Did the Bump see you getting out of the wifes car? :nono: Just sit it down and explain to it that the new member of your familly will never replace it.
Hey Chicken,

A SuperHawk! Yeah buddy. My primary commuter (weather permitting) is a '98 5th gen VFR. Honda was kicking out some cool stuff during that era. I love the SuperHawks. I would love to ride one someday.

Chris
Crabenho

Post by Crabenho »

custom cab wrote:outstanding
Thanks custom! That kind a feedback really means a lot to me.

Ezer, glad you liked "Ode". Hope the other site enjoys it as well.
Crabenho

Post by Crabenho »

It is hard to believe it has already been a year since I sent my Nissan Titan off on a trailer to its new owner, thus beginning my “Transportation Experiment”. I remember the day like it was yesterday, watching my shiny new truck head down the road as I stood next to the bump. I had a lot riding on this. Following my Vintage Steel epiphany, I was very vocal to my friends and family about my grand intentions, my plans to tough it out a year with this old rig, detailing the experiences and lessons learned along the way. I also made a lot of promises to my wife that this wasn’t going to be a disaster that she would have to deal with on a regular basis. I had spent the prior 2 months getting my new friend as daily driver ready as possible but we were still strangers. How could I hang my hat on being able to keep this thing reliably running on a daily basis? Hell, I had just barely taught myself how to rebuild a basic carburetor and run a timing light! I was confident, excited… and scared.

Flash forward a year. The bump has been my stalwart travel companion. 11,000 daily driver miles logged and it never let me down. Ok, my mom had to tow me home one time (I was afraid to call my wife).

At its most basic level it was just a simple transportation experiment. However, as I reflect upon the last 12 months it becomes clear it turned out much bigger.

I can tell you I knew without doubt I was going to learn things, maybe get the opportunity to broaden my horizons outside an existence that had become a little too ho hum comfortable. I know now the experiment was successful. I can undoubtedly tell you I had the best year of my adult life. Coincidence?

Can an old truck change your life? Not by itself, but in can effect change.

Merely succeeding to keep it running and reliable is a fantastic confidence booster. Lots of people thought I was crazy; that I’d be thumbing lots of rides to work. I proved them wrong. Increased confidence easily spills into the other facets of your life. It touches your friends and family.

My wife and I are healthier than we’ve been in 15 years. We trained for and competed in our first half marathon. Coincidence?

I’ve stimulated my mind. I hadn’t tackled anything new in a long time. While teaching myself to troubleshoot, tune and repair, I’ve analyzed mechanical drawings, read countless manuals and learned to use diagnostic tools. In addition to learning new technical skills I’ve also learned I really enjoy writing. I enjoy sharing my experiences with other people.

In addition to my wife, I’ve strengthened many more of my personal relationships. My dad and I have spent a lot of time motoring around town in the bump. So much so, he bought one last week.

My five year old daughter is possibly the only kid in school that knows how to operate a crank window. How cool is that?

My mom loves to ride in it; my sister loves to drive it. The bump has moved friends and family. It landscaped my best friend’s house.

I participated in my first classic cruise / car show. Neither of those fools can haul sod.

I’ve also made countless connections with strangers around town. Apparently, laying under a classic truck in public conveys vulnerability, approachability. Who knew?

The bump tends to draw people of all ages, obviously for varied reasons. The young girl in the drivethru thought it was “Awesome!”. Many middle-agers fondly shared stories of “Dad” and “Grandpa” driving them everywhere in an old truck when they were a kid. Countless instances of random people waving and yelling from sidewalks and cars. The guy who passed me on the highway while giving me the thumbs-up. I think it was his thumb. He was going so fast and I was going pretty slow.

I’ve made a lot of new friends. I’ve talked to my neighbors more than I had in eight years. Early in this adventure, they noticed my legs sticking out from under the truck for a couple hours and stopped to see if I was dead. We’ve since become friends.

The nice elderly lady up the street asked if I could put out an orange cone when I’m working in the street so she doesn’t run over my legs.

It hasn’t been all sunshine and fun; I’ve been tested. There were a few times while frantically wrenching before commuting to work or having to take Ava to school that I almost threw in the towel and bought a new(er) vehicle. I’m glad that didn’t happen.

I firmly believe the bump and I are just finding our groove. After such a rewarding year I can’t imagine not continuing. I can’t imagine having a car payment!

Here’s to new friends and new adventures! I hope the New Year brings as much joy to you as the last year has brought to me.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Rebuilding my bump has been my dream and my passion for several years now. My wife and friends also thought I was crazy when I traded a running '94 Honda Accord for her back in 2004. Constantly misunderstood and often maligned, by my wife, she is my joy in life. My wife went to the nail salon this afternoon. I texted her to say I was going to Home Depot to buy a wire brush for my Dremel. she asked why? My reply "To clean truck parts." Her response....."Ugh!" :D
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
68 Ford Stepside
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68 Ford Stepside »

Crabenho: I understand where you're coming from. I drove the old flareside down to the gas station today. While I was inside the station paying for the gas, the wife said two people were taking pictures with their cell phones. My truck isn't nearly as nice as yours, but people seem to like it. Have A Great Ford Day!
"Have A Great Ford Day"
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

And folks questioned why I put an engine heater on my truck! :wink:
Glad it didn't damage your truck any worse than it did. Keep the story coming. :lol:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
9t3svt

Post by 9t3svt »

This has been very entertaining and is quite well written! I feel I can relate in your quest for simplicity, an old truck being a big part of it. I have generally always had an old Ford truck or two around, my first vehicle was a plain jane '68 f100 with a straight 6.

About a year ago I was working parts at the local Ford dealer and found myself falling in love with the Ecoboost f150. The power is quite impressive if you haven't driven one. Hadn't had a car payment for a few years, so I thought what the heck. Ended up leasing a new crew cab XLT, and I must say, it was a very nice truck. Rode and drove like a car, got good mileage, sirius radio and sync, and heck of a tow rig. Wasn't but a few months later I was already hating the payment (had gotten used to having some cash in my pocket in case I saw something I liked), and had kinda lost it's shine for me. Had thought for some time, would be neat to have at least one new vehicle, thought I was missing out. Guess I was wrong, but at least it's out of my system. :thup:

Ecoboost is back on the lot and I can't say I really miss it, though my wife does. But the '99 Navigator that is long paid for works just fine for her and hauling our son and the occasional car trailer. Just wish I lived in a climate that I could drive a nice old truck year round and not worry about it rusting, But I have a beater '96 f150 for when the salt is out.

Simplicity is a great thing. This last summer when I got my '78 f150 4wd together, and started to drive it regularly, it just felt right. By the way, the new f150 got some compliments here and there, but I definitely get more from my '78 F150 and my '69 F100, and they were paid for when I picked them up.
couchcuts

Post by couchcuts »

glad you are still doing well ... truck looks great!
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=64227

1970 F100 Custom Wimbleton White 240 c6 shortbed
Crabenho

Post by Crabenho »

I closed my eyes for just a second in April and woke in July. Despite my yearly vows to change, I am paying the price for over-commitment. It saddens me to think that my only hope to triumph against over booked summers will be when I’m dead. On the bright side, I guess I’m guaranteed at some point to lose those last few stubborn pounds as well.

For some reason I feel as if I need to explain my absence. In my defense, my time has been consumed by an unhealthy amount of overtime at work, Ava learning to ride sans training wheels, a family vacation, gobs of yard work and a massive home improvement project.

My Bump and I have officially settled into a comfortable coexistence. It is routinely counted on for duties where it really counts, hauling wet dogs, bikes, firewood and furniture. However, as I am squarely in the ride my motorcycle everywhere time of year, it doesn’t get driven often. As a result, I get caught up in life and without a daily reminder behind the wheel I start to take my stalwart companion for granted. To be honest, I have had some moments of weakness followed by serious thoughts of moving on to other mechanized projects.

I have absolutely nothing to complain about. I turn the key; it starts and performs flawlessly…every time. That might be part of the problem. Mechanical challenges aren’t monopolizing my waking moments. When I’m staring at that shiny new motorcycle I don’t have any grease under my fingernails to remind me I’m in a committed relationship. It’s like going to Hooters without my wedding ring.

Fortunately, my Bump is as loyal as a retriever. It forgives my passing fancies and wandering eye.

I need to thank Fordification member Forsche for his recommendation of Truck a Love Story by Michael Perry as required reading for me. I bought the book months ago on his recommendation and it has sat on my nightstand waiting for me to take the time to open it. Now I can’t put it down and read it every chance I get. I have to say; Perry’s stories and perspective of how life is meant to be lived have been very grounding for me and a wonderful reminder of why I chose the old Ford in the first place.

Earlier today I was looking out of the window from my office and trying to figure out why my view of the trees looked clearer, the colors crisper. I felt lighter, happier. While I have been eating more carrots, my new found visual and mental acuity are more likely attributed to my reading. I read a bit of the book yesterday at lunch and as a result, promised myself that when I got home I wasn’t going to worry about the laundry list of projects and to do’s that I spend too much time obsessing about. I was going to give my wife a break to escape on her own while Ava and I had some quality time outside. Ava was ecstatic! We weeded the garden, ate the tops off the chives while poking at green tomatoes and searched for bugs while I taught her how to sprinkle fertilizer. We even managed to find a ripe strawberry that the birds had somehow missed. It started to lightly rain and I was very happy to hear she wanted to stay outside despite it. We were rewarded in our wet sweatshirts by her first end to end double rainbow. I was a little surprised at her quick dismissal of the rainbow to resume digging in the wet mulch for Rolie Polies. My wife and I officially have a Tomboy. Later that night Ava and I fell asleep while talking about bug hunting and whether mosquitoes like to fly in the rain. Thanks for the reminder, Mr. Perry.