Think I found a new job!

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

390Nut
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Think I found a new job!

Post by 390Nut »

I've been unemployed since March, and times are tough. Nobody is feeling secure enough in the economy to be hiring people, but I figure heck, I can do this, and there is probably very high demand for someone crazy enough to do it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dae7DdfJ1ts
Paul
`69 F100 390 4spd driver
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10251
Dura-Spark II Conversion info at:
http://home.comcast.net/~390nut/Dura-SparkII.htm

Pipes71 did once say, "bumps and bikes.. what a great combo!" :thup:
towtruckerfour
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Think I found a new job!

Post by towtruckerfour »

That made my legs queazy just watching it and I was sitting down. Fear of heights is definitely not an option. Good luck.
Troy
Why is it that the trucks are always the best running vehicles in the family?
Ford means "found on road daily"
70 F100 Custom-352 w/68 Highboy 4x4 frame. My play/project truck
70 F250 Explorer-390/C6 auto. My work truck
04 Mitsubishi montero-family car
fireguywtc
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fireguywtc »

No way! My heart rate climbed just watching the video. I don't think I would be very afraid of those heights, though the fear would be there, but I wouldn't be effective at all cuz I would be attaching my safety stuff every step. What a dizzy erie feeling that must be standing on that thing.
Bill
1967 F-250 LWB 2WD 352 V8, 4spd manual, true duals, 122k original miles (currently being restored)
1970 F-250 4x4 highboy ranger 390 V8, 4spd
2012 F-350 PSD FX4 LWB CC lariat, white
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... hp?uid=602
"If you want to judge a person's true character, give them power."
FLATBEDFORD
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by FLATBEDFORD »

At least the fall wouldn't hurt. Surprised that he is only tied in when he stops and not on a life line the whole time. I hope they pay him well.
Steve

1970 F350 DRW Factory 9' Platform/Stake, 360, T18.
Passed on to new care taker July, 2013

My Photo Gallery
http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/flatbedford/
390Nut
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 390Nut »

Yeah, you would definitely want hazard pay!

Heights don't normally bother me, but up that high, knowing how bad the wind can get at a moment's notice (virtually unobstructed at that height) I wouldn't be climbing without being harnessed all the time.

Just think. All that to change a light bulb; not necessarily on that climb, but still. there is a light up there that needs replacing from time to time.
Paul
`69 F100 390 4spd driver
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10251
Dura-Spark II Conversion info at:
http://home.comcast.net/~390nut/Dura-SparkII.htm

Pipes71 did once say, "bumps and bikes.. what a great combo!" :thup:
cdeal28078
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cdeal28078 »

I was a Power-line man when I was in the Air Force. Most out stuff was underground but we had to change all of the Obstruction lights on the water towers, hangers and all other buildings over 50tall. Out tallest light was only about 400 foot but it was a long climb. We took our lunch. I was always on edge as we free climbed and only hooked off when we stopped to work.
Back then people climbing the tall stuff were free lancing for around 1-$1.50 a foot. My sarge and I thought seriously about doing some on the side until our 1st Sarge heard about it and shut us down. He reminded us our bodies did not belong to us and we could not risk them to make extra money. lol
Good luck. Most stuff these days have the safety line running up beside the ladder so you are tied off all of the time. It just gets aggravating having to drag your safety line every step or two.
Good money can be made.
clint
71 F100 SportCustom
460 C6. Disc Brake/Power-steering/automatic Swap. 3.00
1986 Bronco 5.0 AOD
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Paul,
Please let us know how that works out for you!
I'll gladly pay the premium for some additional life insurance on you! :lol:

As a MM in the USN it was our responsibility to paint the smokestack on the ships. I'll never forget being harnessed into a boswain's chair (similar to a wooden swing) painting the stack while the ship was underway (rolling/pitching 14/17 degrees) from side to side! :eek:

But at my age now...that video also made my stomach queazy! :lol:
I kept waiting for the video to be a hoax, (where the guy would fall off the tower)! :doh:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Post by Mancar1 »

basketcase0302 wrote:Paul,
Please let us know how that works out for you!
I'll gladly pay the premium for some additional life insurance on you! :lol:

As a MM in the USN it was our responsibility to paint the smokestack on the ships. I'll never forget being harnessed into a boswain's chair (similar to a wooden swing) painting the stack while the ship was underway (rolling/pitching 14/17 degrees) from side to side! :eek:

But at my age now...that video also made my stomach queazy! :lol:
I kept waiting for the video to be a hoax, (where the guy would fall off the tower)! :doh:
My 1st 2 ships were old cans left over from WWII. As a BT those stacks were high enough for me when we had to remove the covers. Thankfully I didn't have to do the climbing on my last 4 ships. Retired as a MM cause they did away with the BT rate.
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8
Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Post by Mancar1 »

Did my part during 2 different wars, but you can have that job, best of luck, probably great pay.
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

Breakfast now not a possibility as this time.
Thunderfoot
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Thunderfoot »

NO Frig'n way would I do that!!! :wf: watching them climb it is one thing, I want to see how they put it (the tower) together in the first place. Do they use a helicopter or what, and if so can you imagine hanging on, guiding the parts in place and bolting them to gather in a down draft. :? Pretty amazing engineering all together, but I'll stick to the stuff on the ground. :D
Shayne
I'm not "Brand Loyal" Ford-Chevy-Dodge-Toyota I have them all, one even cross mixed...
If it Looks good and Works good then it's ok by me. Everything has its issues from time to time...

69 SWB (project) & 69 Highboy (driver/project)
http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa29 ... d%20truck/
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10399
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good morning Paul!

Congratulations on your new job! I can't wait to see the photos you'll post in this thread from the top.

Although going up one of those towers looks genuinely bone-chilling, I'd bet that the REAL fun would be in going DOWN!

Robroy
cdeal28078
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cdeal28078 »

On some of those towers they will sway 5-10 foot in the wind. Depending on how tall they are. That is what really gets your nerves on edge. ON Randolph AFB the center building that housed the admin offices was also a water tower disguised as a building. The top was a dome covered in mosaic tiles. At Christmas times we had to go up to the top where the airport beacon was, go out over the edge and hang Christmas lights down to the ground. We had a rope up to the top about 25 foot away but the only thing we were standing on was a rain gutter cut into the structure. We would have our back against the dome and our heels in the gutter trying to work the light and tie them in. That was the most scared I have ever been in my life.
Except for one time. The 90 pound 72 year old civil service worker I worked with and I had to climb the regular water tower to change the OB light. Get up to the cat walk and there is another ladder on wheels that goes up and over the curve. I get halfway up and he grabs the ladder, yells "hang on" and starts running around the cat walk pushing it. I was mad for a week
clint
71 F100 SportCustom
460 C6. Disc Brake/Power-steering/automatic Swap. 3.00
1986 Bronco 5.0 AOD
ForingaMex
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by ForingaMex »

All you guys talking about being afraid of heights. Don't bother me one bit...as long as I have one foot planted on solid ground. :P Yeah, afraid of heights...that's me.
-Jake
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

-02 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
-72 Ford F100 LWB 390/C6 (Retired for now till I can rebuild/transform it)
-2000 Ford Windstar (Family Vehicle)
-92 VW Beetle (Mexican)
bindernut

Post by bindernut »

Here's some pic's of a generating station we built in '07-'08 called black mountain. twin turbine units. Me and another coworker had to be lowered by a crane into the stacks to weld in stainless liners at all the segments. I took the opp to snap a few pic's while I was up there. BTW, at the highest point we were up nearly 180ft, the wind gusts that day would move the basket 3-4 feet. This is childsplay tho compared to those crazy tower guys
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1971 f100 CS 360/AT
1970 f100 C 302/4spd
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?pos=-6153
1969 IH Scout 800 304/AT

"ya know, you're about as useful as Amish tech support."

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln

Murphy lives in my shop and takes advantage of any opportunity he can find.

Law of Mechanical Repair - After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee.