4BT installations

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 4BT installations

Post by averagef250 »

No real ballpark. Quote matched to your needs/budget.

The Expedition has been driving for a week. First trip was break-in oriented. Big focus on heavily loading the engine as the marine specific ring packs are difficult to seat.

550 miles @ 80 MPH average speed.
Pulled Ashland mt full throttle in OD with the converter locked 84 MPH @ 2250 RPM.
First tank through the Expedition was 23.51 MPG.

VERY, VERY happy with the Georend valve body.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
AKjeff

Post by AKjeff »

Awsome build. I may have missed it in your posts, but did the oil pan clear the front suspension? Any modification required to the pan and pump pick up? Can we get some pictures from underneath?

I continually wonder why Detroit can't build a rig like that for the average consumer to buy.
I've owned a couple of 6B's in Dodge pick-ups and have plans to some day build a classic 2wd with a 4B and NV 4500.

Do you have to get vehicles smog checked in Portlandish? That's my one hang up on doing something newer, I don't want to have to sell it should I move someplace that has smog laws, or they change drastically.
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

AKjeff wrote:Awsome build. I may have missed it in your posts, but did the oil pan clear the front suspension? Any modification required to the pan and pump pick up? Can we get some pictures from underneath?

I continually wonder why Detroit can't build a rig like that for the average consumer to buy.
I've owned a couple of 6B's in Dodge pick-ups and have plans to some day build a classic 2wd with a 4B and NV 4500.

Do you have to get vehicles smog checked in Portlandish? That's my one hang up on doing something newer, I don't want to have to sell it should I move someplace that has smog laws, or they change drastically.
Thanks for the comments. I built the oil pan and pickup tube to clear the front axle components. I can't take any pics at the moment, I'm 550 miles from my rack.

Detroit doesn't build things like this but the equivelent to Detroit in Brazil does. The standard superduty engine is a 4BT in other countries. NV4500's are horrible diesel transmissions. I've repaired hundreds of them, driven that many and more and NEVER used one in a conversion. Terrible ratios, bad design, expensive fluid. If Dodge used it, it probably isn't much good. The 5600 is in the same boat.

With some forethought I was able to register it as diesel, it is 100% emissions exempt.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
AKjeff

Post by AKjeff »

I'd love to see some underside photos when you get a chance.

Which manual transmission would you recommend for installation behind a 4B? The NV5600 is the only transmission I've driven (for any length of time) with a diesel, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Was it tough registering it as a diesel? I was under the impression it had to be a factory option before it could be registered as one.
Oren09

Post by Oren09 »

That's a Toyota I'd drive.
I LOVE diesels. The sound, smell, power, and efficiency. :)
I'm envious of European cars because most of them are diesel.
Damn US smog laws are tough on diesels, though.

I want a diesel car- such as a VW Rabit/Golf or Jetta. Maybe an 80s Mercedes, but the mileage isn't that great on those.
~Austin
1971 F250 Ranger XLT Camper Special. 360, auto.
OldRedFord
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by OldRedFord »

I doubt it could handle the weight but I would like a 4bt Ranger one day.
Tim

1972 F350 flatbed drw c6/390
1967 F600 project truck
SteveC
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by SteveC »

man wish i had the money to take my 67 up there and let you put a diesel engine in it. Keep up the good work!
I don't really care about brands Chevy Ford Dodge ...as long as it doesn't sound like two old dudes farting in a coffee can.
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/imabaka70/ Projects listed on the left side

WOOOT!! i passed my mechanics classes. Now working as a mechanic and waiting to go for my ASE certifications.

1967 f-100 4x4
1969/72 f100 351w EFI m5r2 5 speed
1988 ford f150 xlt lariat
1961 VW Beetle (wifes car)
mljjones67
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by mljjones67 »

OldRedFord wrote:I doubt it could handle the weight but I would like a 4bt Ranger one day.

Theres a 6bt ranger some where online.
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

I have put Cummins engines in vehicles I was less than thrilled about thier frame strength, but all has been fine with daily driver, pavement use. I have had a few engine mounts rip apart on me, but haven't broken a frame mount or frame rail yet.

A 4B or 6B in a Ranger isn't an impossible feat, but it will take a large time investment into the details to make a nice end result.
ezernut9mm
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ezernut9mm »

saw this at the truck show and thought about you dustin. lol

wanting to buy a mercury tailgate!
"the man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it".- woodrow wilson

ImageImageImage
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

That's pretty neat, clean looking install. Just FYI though, Intake tubing needs T-bolt clamps as well as formed lips on the tubes if the hose connections are stressed. Worm clamps will fail, sometimes spectacularly. When something lets loose above 30 PSI it's similiar to a shotgun blast under your hood.
papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by papabug71 »

Here is the 6bt ranger. I would like to see it up close. I bet the builder has alot of blood sweat & tears tied up in it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gastk7-eJY

Dustin, are you doing the swaps full time now, or just on the side? I smell a full time buisness. You could go world wide !

How is the 47RH doing? I know they can be built to handle massive amounts of hp/tq.
Matt
1971 F-100 Sport Custom - My grandpaws truck
Been in the family since 10/3/'71 (Brand spankin' new)
Mine since 5/7/'94
302 / 3 speed / 3:25's
--Currently undergoing full frame off resto/mod--
DieselSchlepper

Post by DieselSchlepper »

Nice installs, but you can go over on 4btswaps.com and find out all you need to do your own swap and more!
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

DieselSchlepper wrote:Nice installs, but you can go over on 4btswaps.com and find out all you need to do your own swap and more!
Andre's attitude and the widespread support of misinformation on 4BTswaps has influenced my choice to no longer recommend or support the forum. Andre's core value appears to revolve around anyone who is willing to pay the $99 vendor fee can peddle thier wares regardless of how much they blatently mis-represent them.

The internet is chock full of information- Some of it is good, much of it is opinion, exageration or just plain ignorant. There is some useful information on 4BTswaps, but you have to sort through a lot of BS to find it. From a beginner's standpoint, How do you tell the difference? How do you seperate opinion from fact?

If you wade through hundreds of build threads on 4BTswaps how many of them are actually representative of an informed, realistic, safe, decently thought-out conversion? Maybe 5% being generous. The majority of threads begin similiar to "Hey, I want a 4BT in my CJ7 and found a breadvan for $1500". The thread progresses something like "The turbo 400 is an awesome tranny behind a 4BT, just drop it right in with minimal thought to gearing, drivetrain angles or reality" "Oh no, I installed it, it shakes real bad and it's a turd for power! What do I do now???" "Just get an HE351 turbo, 4" exhaust, install a P7100, 4000GSK and some giant slobbering injectors." "Ok awesome!" "OK, I did all that and can now hit 40 PSI, I can smoke out my neighborhood and almost do 65 on the freeway at 3000 RPM and I get 17 MPG WOOHOO!" (That's a terrible end result)

In a nutshell you cannot be ignorant or broke and get a reasonable end result installing a 4B in anything. There is intelligent life on 4BTswaps, but they rarely post anything because they're outnumbered 50:1 by the ignorant, the broke and vendors attempting to sell stuff nobody needs.
ForingaMex
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by ForingaMex »

averagef250 wrote:When something lets loose above 30 PSI it's similiar to a shotgun blast under your hood.
:yt: I experienced it 3 times in the years I drove truck, scared me like crazy. Especially the first time, I didn't know what happened. :lol:
-Jake
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

-02 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
-72 Ford F100 LWB 390/C6 (Retired for now till I can rebuild/transform it)
-2000 Ford Windstar (Family Vehicle)
-92 VW Beetle (Mexican)