What did you do to YOUR bump today?

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

carnuck

Re: What did you do to YOUR bump today?

Post by carnuck »

I have a lot of the parts for the '72 F250 Highboy to take it back to gasoline and improve steering and brakes in the process. I want to swap the closed knuckle low pinion D44 drum brake front axle to one from a '76 Crewcab Highboy so it has open knuckles and disc brakes. I had swapped that axle into my other brand truck ('84 J10) for an "instant" 12 lift) 15 years ago with help from my sons, who aren't able to come help me anymore. I don't have the Ford brakes or knuckles for it anymore, but the current Brand X 1 ton brakes on it are cheap and easy to upgrade and I understand how to balance the front/back stopping setup. I also have a matching ratio and brake system rear D60 that can go in the back.

I've been too dizzy to do much other than look at my '72 Highboy and dream about what I used to be able to do with my two hands and reality just slapped my face. I need the propane system for my motorhome because I won't be able to drive it much but I have to move soon and have nowhere to work on the Ford, no helpers if I did and my pockets are now empty from lack of income. (My wife lost her job in Jan and I was disabled a couple years ago)
I had to sell my daily driver '87 Jeep Comanche to pay rent this month because I am at the point I couldn't fix the electronics or afford to get anyone else to do it and tax time is knocking on the door. I spent a lot of what little time I had without being dizzy on that truck and more money than I should have because I couldn't remember what I had already done and it was the thinking "Just a little more $ and it will be fine". It ran and just shut off for no apparent reason. I even bought the Snap-On MTG2500 scan tool to test it but the "special Snap-On only" battery died before I could do the test and too long after I bought it to take it back.

That was why I bought the Highboy. Simplicity to work on and easy to troubleshoot 99% of the time with no special tools. Problem is I started with the bad fuel issue and forgot steering, and brakes plus getting too old to climb into my own version of "Bigfoot".

Where do you stop? I want to continue looking down at the grass instead of up at the roots.
jp2005
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by jp2005 »

I sold the original radio when I first purchased the truck and replaced it with a delete plate. Well changed my mind and find a another original radio. Installed that yesterday and replaced a exhaust intake gasket I've been meaning to replace for months.
Thanks JP! Ms. Cordova is a factory 1969 Ford F100 Ranger with a 390, Front disc brakes, Cordova copper orange, behind the seat box
SevNT2Bump

Post by SevNT2Bump »

I haven't done anything to my truck in a year. Runs great starts up right away. Drives quite. I haven't posted in over a year. Thing is, I bought this........
339 (900x506).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ken
72' F250 Custom 2wd 360 C6 auto
99' GMC 1 ton dually flatbed 454
07' Ford Ranger 2wd 4.0 Sport
farmallmta

Post by farmallmta »

Today I switched the headlight buckets behind the headlamps. Mistakenly installed the left bucket on the right and vice versa when reassembling the grill. When the headlamps went in, they were 90 degrees off, so the light beam was vertical instead of horizontal. Great for hilly roads maybe, but I'm on the flats around here. :lol:
hot-rod

Post by hot-rod »

I cleaned my engine compartment. Here some pics....

before:
00697.JPG
after cleaning:
00705.JPG
after conservation:
00716.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rwilly
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by rwilly »

Finally got around to putting a new exhaust manifold gasket on the drivers side, and also the gasket at the header collectors.
No more "pfft,pfft,pfft,pfft'.
Now I need to put new mufflers on it, I'm going to price what it would cost a shop to do it for me, the current mufflers are welded in.
fuzzier1
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by fuzzier1 »

Pulled the engine a couple of weeks ago, power washed the engine bay the following day and pulled the front body work and then the twin I beams. That brings me to yesterday and today I cut out the Crossmember getting her ready for a CV front end FINALLY. Have it a roller by next weekend. :woohoo: :hd:
WhitsEnd
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by WhitsEnd »

New master cylinder, all 4 wheel cylinders and stainless brake lines. Waiting for shoes to arrive.
8) 1970 F100 Ranger 2WD
:thup: project link: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=83642
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Loaded up the bump trailer (Frankie) with a load of brush and tree limbs.
Sometime during the last two weeks, when I used him last, a few wasps decided to build a nest in the front outer wall of the bed. Didn't notice 'em until I threw some limbs in there. Darn, those suckers hurt! :cry:
They were no match for the wasp and hornet killer spray, though! :evil:
Frodo's not ready for the road, though, so the '99 Grand Voyager took the stuff to the landfill. I'll have at least one more load to do.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
ok68crewcab
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by ok68crewcab »

Put the new insurance card in the glove compartment while wishing I was taking it out for a spin. Has been too hot, have become soft with all the modern air conditioning in my daily drivers.
2 Blessed 2 Be Stressed
WhitsEnd
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by WhitsEnd »

Finished the brakes this weekend and threw a new set of 45s in with fresh Taylor wires.

Rebuilt the 2V Autolite. I'm a Holley guy, so this was my first Autolite wrenching. Apparently, if you don't realize the metal clip on the float pin has to click into the groove in the seat below, it will allow the "float" to do just that. Fuel will spew from both vents...and continue to do so until you casually work your way back under the hood after starting it and notice the valleys in the intake are full of fuel.

Good thing it wasn't hot...and I just replaced the crappy wires. I don't know if they had stray arcs, but that would have been very exciting, to say the least. :hw:
8) 1970 F100 Ranger 2WD
WhitsEnd
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by WhitsEnd »

Had 4 new Bridgestone Dueler H/L tires installed. The tire shop always takes the vehicle for a test drive after installed new tires. While on the test drive, somehow one of the shift rods came off the trans lever and the tech had to drive it back in 2nd gear. So, I just ordered new clips from Macs and added that to the list.

FYI: p/n for the retention clip for the rods at the trans end is 379620-S

For now, the washers and aircraft safety wire will do.
8) 1970 F100 Ranger 2WD
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Gave Frodo a good power-washing. He needed a bath.
Red Green

you'd better be right.
WhitsEnd
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by WhitsEnd »

Pulled the steering wheel and re-centered it. Got tired of it being slightly crooked.

Did some troubleshooting with the fuel gauge. Connected the lead to ground at the sending unit and the gauge went to full, so I know the gauge and wiring is good. Pulled the sending unit and removed the cover. No apparent break in the fine wire. Bent the contact slightly for better pressure and put it back together. Still doesnt work. Ordered a new sending unit from Macs through Amazon.
8) 1970 F100 Ranger 2WD
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Finished cleaning him up, and put him on Craigslist! :cry: :cry:
See Craigslist listings in for sale section. I'll make Fordification members a deal. Just mention it in your email.
Red Green

you'd better be right.